IGNORED

Should I use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM as well?

trcns

I am waiting for HD-Plex 300 Watt Linear power supply for my Music Server, I also am using SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for SSD 850 pro HD.

Questions is, should I also use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM Drive?

A SOtM SATA filter there may give a small benefit, but ideally the output capacitor (device side) of a filter should have a much greater capacitance value than the Surface Mount types that will fit on this PCB. I have previously used a DIY Capacitance-Inductance-Capacitance filter for this purpose with improved results.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

SandyK: I am sorry but I not that smart to understand what you said. Can you please tell me simple English what should I buy?

The SOtM SATA filter MAY give a small improvement when used to filter the power for the optical drive, but it is likely to be fairly subtle, and mainly in the area of a small increase in HF detail. I used a DIY filter, a little like the SOtM filter, but with much higher component values .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Where can I find this DIY circuit board, components and circuit diagram?

6trcns

I mounted mine on the lid of a small Jiffy box. Although I etched a small PCB, the filter could be wired point to point underneath a piece of perfboard etc.

Alex

fwut.jpg

clcfilternew.jpg

Thanks SandyK. From here I cam build it.

One question: If I am using a Linear power supply, does this circuit it still have an added benefit?

As I said previously, the differences are likely to be subtle unless the rest of the chain is very good, but it's the increased isolation from the main supply that appears to matter most, with the main supply being more isolated from the varying current requirements of the CD/DVD Rom. Even with SSDs, improving their isolation from the main power supply, whether Linear or SMPS, offers real benefits. For SSDs I use the +12V supply regulated to a cleaner and more stable +5V supply. Another member has previously verified in a post, about the improvement from doing this, even though he was already using a Linear PSU.

I have further improved over the original C-L-C filter by using a form of shunt regulator for both the +12v AND +5v supplies to my internal LG BR writer.

The C-L-C filter shouldn't cost too much to try, and see whether it further improves results.

Alex

If you are spinning CDs to listen to it might help, but if you just use the CD for ripping there is no need.

I don't agree. Neither are there supposedly any advantages in using USB Regens, improved PSUs for the USB Regen , low noise PSUs for internal SSDs , higher quality USB cables, higher quality Motherboard Xtal Oscillators, Linear PSUs for the CPU, or Paul Pang SATA leads etc. either.

I don't agree. Neither are there supposedly any advantages in using USB Regens, low noise PSUs for internal SSDs , higher quality USB cables, higher quality Motherboard Xtal Oscillators, or Paul Pang SATA leads etc. either.

There are advantages in using those, many I use(d) myself, but all of those are for listening not ripping. I just use my work laptop to rip using DBP or EAC with AccurateRip.

There are advantages in using those, many I use(d) myself, but all of those are for listening not ripping. I just use my work laptop to rip using DBP or EAC with AccurateRip.

Rips made to internal SSD using improved power supplies sound better too, despite being played from System Memory using A.S.I.O.

SandyK: Since I am building this filter, why not with some good quality components. Question is which Capacitors are the best for this filter. If you notice in some of these high end equipment the capacitors are pretty large. While searching the Web, I don't find these capacitors or in better words, I don't know what to look for.

Rafi

SandyK: Since I am building this filter, why not with some good quality components. Question is which Capacitors are the best for this filter. If you notice in some of these high end equipment the capacitors are pretty large. While searching the Web, I don't find these capacitors or in better words, I don't know what to look for.

trcns

I find Panasonic FC series capacitors quite good for the lower ESR versions, and generic capacitors of the same capacitance value for the other parallel capacitor.The capacitors are physically smaller due to their lower voltage ratings. Use a couple of parallel lower ESR capacitors and you may find upper HF detail a little too exaggerated.

Yes, I realise that this is not supposed to happen with Digital !

The main thing here is to see if you are able to hear an improvement without spending too much. If you are able to obtain a noticeable improvement, then this will indicate that even better results are likely to be obtained in your system by using active electronics to further improve the supplies and isolation.

Alex

Is there a reason the 5v line shows the 4700uf low ESR cap in a different position, or is that a typo?

There is such a small distance between them that it doesn't make any difference.

Use a couple of parallel lower ESR capacitors and you may find upper HF detail a little too exaggerated.

Just to be on a clear, Can I use more capacitors than in the design above? And if yes, what will be the best sequence, which capacitor should I add first and the second and so on?

Also for 100nf capacitors what voltage should I go for?

Rafi

trcns

The main problem with the larger voltage capacitors is likely to be their bulk. Likewise if using additional parallel capacitors, as the filter will then take up more valuable internal space, and height may also be a limiting factor.

The Murata inductor should work O.K. but may be difficult to mount. Through hole mounting devices are much easier to work with for this kind of application.The 100nF capacitors are normally available in 63V or 100V versions.

Alex

Finally, After a month of an effort, this computer is getting some where, still waiting for a power supply and components for custom filters.CAPS Computer.jpg

Start Date 11/1/2015 Completion Date 12/25/2015

HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 $288.00

HDPLEX 300W ATX Linear Power Supply $695.00

SuperMicro Motherboard X11SAE-F $250.66

Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5 processor $347.97

32GB Kit (16GBx2), 288-pin DIMM,

DDR4 PC4-19200, ECC

(CT2K16G4WFD824A) $274.95

Samsung SSD (MZ-7KE1T0BW) 850-PRO 1TB $390.75

Samsung SSD (MZ-7KE256BW) 850-PRO 256 GIGB $119.00

JCAT Audiophile PCIe to USB Audio Card $437.00

PCIe Cable $25.00

SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter $78.20

Custom In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter $60.50

Windows 2012 R2 $427.54

Aodiophile Optimizer $129.47

JRiver $49.98

HQPlayer $143.85

Total $3,717.87

Rafi

Hi SandyK: on 12 volt circuit, there are two 4700uf 16 volt capacitors, but on 5volt side both are 4700 uf but one is 10 volt and the other is 16 volt, is there a particular reason or is this an error?

You are able to use the fairly commonly available 4,700uF 10V low ESR in the +5V side, and their smaller size may be an advantage in fitting them all in to a more compact layout. You could of course use the 4,700uF 16V low ESR there too.