IGNORED

Should I use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM as well?

trcns

I was looking for this card and got to the Blog, where you can see the whole conversation and users comments

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/$40-pci-pcie-power-filter-16186/

Thanks Rafi,

But from my reading, this turned out to be a dead end. I'm not a big fan of the idea of using filters. I was thinking you we're speaking of a soft riser where they cut into and separated the power from the PCIe and feed that power with a clean source. Too much trouble in my opinion, think I'll do like you and stick with the SSD Sata for now with as short of a good SATA chord as possible.

I'll let Larry worry about how that 19V rail can be changed to 5V.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Should I use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM as well?

Rafi

Did you try it at the location you originally asked about ? The parallel electrolytic capacitors you used are relatively high ESR, of the same brand and type, and you are not using a low ESR parallel version , as per the original discussions and circuit.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Yes, I learned. I ordered the low ESR capacitors and will replace them.

Question, is it okay to use same (4700uf 16V low ESR) capacitors for both 5V and 12V circuit?

Yes, they can be used at both locations. Note also, that I haven't recommended this circuit for use with a HDD, although there may be small improvements. The improved results obtained when using this circuit with an internal LG BluRay writer were confirmed by Martin Colloms of HiFi Critic magazine, but a good shunt regulator will outperform it.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Hi Elvia: What are you using as OS? Windows 10 or 2012 or Linux?

Rafi, I'm using Windows 10 with my own optimization. I partition the SSD OS for duel OS Windows 10, one I use for any software updates, internet, no optimization or very little. The other, about 20G I only run JRiver on, Windows 10 is stripped down to bare necessities to operate JRiver, no updates, no internet, anything not needed is disabled.

I see you have an AO subscription. If so, I would run Windows 10 with the Beta AO Windows 10.

I'm not surprised you didn't hear any results from using those SOTM power filters. I take it, it was on the drives powered separately from the motherboard power supply??? Thus not necessary, no possible way for contamination.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I'm not surprised you didn't hear any results from using those SOTM power filters. I take it, it was on the drives powered separately from the motherboard power supply. Thus not necessary, no possible way for contamination.

Then according to you, SOtM who designed their SATA filters don't have a clue either ?

BTW, not all ATX PSUs have separate isolated+12V and +5V feeds for motherboard and peripherals.

Then according to you, SOtM who designed their SATA filters don't have a clue either ?

BTW, not all ATX PSUs have separate isolated+12V and +5V feeds for motherboard and peripherals.

The SOTM sata power filter was intended mostly for drives being powered by the same power supply as the motherboard, so as to reduce any backfeed of power spikes by the sata drives. But since the sata drives are being powered separately from the motherboard's PS, there is no chance of contamination, thus no need of the filters.

Same can be said for the CD ROM. Any power supply will work, including an ATX PS. If you use an ATX PS, you can just use the Sata connectors for 12V and 5V, just like you would if you we're powering the whole computer with the ATX PS. Or better use that break out board on Ebay that was suggested. But I'm going to use my HDPlex 300W LPS for everything on my new system. Who needs the hassle and congestion of multiple power supplies if one can get by with one.

Obviously we differ on this matter (of handling non streaming data), but at least agree that separating the power of any sata drives and CD Rom from the motherboard power supply is important for SQ.

So according to you, any old PSU for the SSDs , Optical drives etc. will do, as long as it's a separate PSU?

Dream on ! The quality of the power supply for peripheral devices does matter, and is easily demonstrated.

Who needs the hassle and congestion of multiple power supplies if one can get by with one.

At least we appear to agree on that, which is why it is pointless using an external ATX PSU for the peripheral devices. All I have been talking about is additional filtering for improved isolation for peripheral devices using the existing SMPS or Linear PSU.

It's a waste of my time further discussing this with you.

Quote from TJHUB "I've had a CAPS v2, v3 Lagoon, and now a custom build with an Intel server board and XEON low TDP processor (think specialized CAPS v3 Zuma). I've been tweaking on PC based music servers for a while now. I've never wanted to go crazy on linear power upgrades (I've tested a few with mixed results), but I tried something recently that is one of the best bang for the buck improvements I've heard.

I purchased an Anker E4 rechargeable USB battery pack. My intensional was to test it powering both the OS SSD, and my Paul Pang USB 3 PCIe card. When powering the SSD with the 1A output, and the USB card with the 2A output, the sound was terrible. I lost bass articulation and output, I lost clarity in the midrange, and the treble had rounded edges. It was terrible in every way. However, powering just the SSD with the 1A output is revolutionary.

Powering just the SSD, the bass maintained great articulation, the midrange and treble clarity changed significantly. I'm now certain I understand what noise sounds like. This is not a blacker background thing, because every time I get a blacker background, it is at the expense of some detail and realism. This change is clarity actually causes the sound of instruments to change to something even more realistic. Low level details are much easier to hear, and none of this comes with any increase in brightness or elevated timbre. This is one of those improvements that makes any track I play sound better; MUCH better.

i read a few posts on other forums where others have found these same results. I can't explain why the OS SSD is this sensitive to power, but it certainly is!

To to be clear, I power my PC with a wide-input picoPSU powered by a FSP SMPS (19V, 6A). Obviously YMMV, but I think this is worth a try. My total cost was less than $60 shipped for the battery pack and USB power cable that I modified to work with SATA power."

I suspect the improvement is not from an improvement in how the SSD operates at all, but is a result of your USB card being now isolated from the large power spikes the hard drive injects back into the power supply itself (noise).

I agree.

Did you not agree with what Barrows said here on this thread HERE?

So what has changed, or did you not understand what you agreed to?

So according to you, any old PSU for the SSDs , Optical drives etc. will do, as long as it's a separate PSU?

Dream on ! The quality of the power supply for peripheral devices does matter, and is easily demonstrated.

At least we appear to agree on that, which is why it is pointless using an external ATX PSU for the peripheral devices. All I have been talking about is additional filtering for improved isolation for peripheral devices using the existing SMPS or Linear PSU.

It's a waste of my time further discussing this with you.

Are you not suggesting multiple supplies with your 12V converter to 5V, which basically has no bearing on SQ other than providing a power supply separate from the motherboard power supply. Thus that makes two supplies. How is that different from an ATX PSU?

I'm suggesting one with different rails for the whole kittin combootle.

SSD OS drive should get it's own clean separate rail or power supply since it effects and handles the stream.

Did you not agree with what Barrows said here on this thread HERE?

So what has changed, or did you not understand what you agreed to?

WTF do you think that my dual +12V to +5V regulators followed by a JLH PSU add-on is doing, when supplying both my OS SSD and my Music SSD ?

You may even find that Barrows and other experienced DIYers believe that a good Shunt PSU at least equals any battery supply, without the need for recharging batteries.

Go away, you are just being an argumentative P.I.T.A. TROLL !

BYE !

Sorry Rafi, I didn't intend to mess up your thread here, but Sandyk decided to throw a shot and I answered which just begets more and more. Hopefully you can make sense of it all. I still would love to hear your overall impressions with what works and what doesn't since we are basically in the same boat with a new build centering around the HDPlex 300W ATX LPS, which I think will be another big step forward in SQ.

I listed my equipment in the previous post and I believe I have fairly high end equipment. I had very nice Kimber cables connecting from my power amp to speakers. The day I changed these cables to TARA LAB’s cable, I was shocked what these cables can do. When I changed my inter-connect cables between Processor and Power Amp I got another shock. I thought I had everything cleaned out, but the satisfaction wasn’t there yet. I was connecting my computer via HDMI to my processor and when couple of months later I added a Bel Canto uLink USB to Digital converter. My concept of digital is digital (Zero’s and Ones) was shattered, this addition was mind blowing.

I was a very hard core JRiver user, last month when I switched the HQ Player, besides all the weaknesses of library management that HQ Player has, the sound quality was further enhanced. At this stage my computer was acting little slow, so I built this new computer and the outcome was another shock. Weather due to JCAT USB card or SSD HD or as whole computer, it just amazed me.

While I was shopping for these interconnect cables I had an opportunity to talk to Audio Quest Lead engineer. He gave me an example of a window with five pans of dusty/foggy glass and every time you clean each pan how better can you see through that window. I never forgot this example.

What I am saying is

1) it’s a hobby, If we finish improvements and upgrades and stop trying new add-ons than the hobby ends there.

2) Let’s say the filter does nothing, does it matter? Spending another $70 when we have invested so much money and time in rest of the equipment. It is true I can build five or more filters recommended by SandyK for $ 70, so they made no difference so what?

If I have to daisy chain the two SSD’s, weather it makes a difference or not I have a clean power and a peace of mind.

Rafi

• 2 weeks later...
Elvia: Did you receive your power supply?

No, expect any day now for Larry to receive, modify and send out.

Larry just said. "All US and ASIA order for 300W has been shipped.

EU orders will be shipped next week since they are still hold by DE custom due to CE/RoHS cert which I have submitted three days ago."

Of course mine is has special requests so I'm sure I'll have to wait an extra week.

I placed an order for HD PLEX 300 watt power supply about three months back in November. Since is was told that I have to wait till it's release in mid December, I bought a regular power supply to poiwer my computer work till I get this power supply.

After three months of wait, last night (01/26/2016), I got my 300 watt HD Plex Linear power supply. I was very excited, could not wait to put it to work. I unpacked it and first thing smelled a fresh paint, pretty heavy, feels very solid. Simple to connect.

But as usual, when you wait for something so long and when you are so excited to get it, after such a long wait, that's when the things goes wrong. I switched it from 220 Volt to 110 volt, plugged in 24 pin connector and 8 pin CPU connector, powered it on. Computer came up normal. Next I plugged SATA cable to my hard drives. I heard a hissing sound and next a smoke from the power supply. I quickly unplugged it. Unplugged all connectors from the back of computer, plugged 24 pin and 8 pin CPU connectors, no SATA, computer worked. I left it on, while sending an email to Larry, five minutes later, a smell and smoke filled my whole apartment. I ran back and unplugged the power. I still see the power supply coming on, showing voltage on LED for variable output but I cannot power on my PC. I connected my existing regular power supply and my computer worked.

I guess now I have to wait another month for replacement, Larry is also surprised, I guess neither of us know what went wrong and what to do next?

My assumption is that one of the wire between Power Supply to Computer may be is short which caused it. These 36 or 40 inch long wires are very soft. I don't know their good quality, but they are too soft. I am think of getting some better quality custom made cables while waiting for the replacement, and which will be another $150.

Rafi

The original poster asked if a SATA filter is a good idea on a CD drive. I think it is. The CD drive is running (an making electrical noise) even if it's not ripping CDs. A better option would be to remove the CD from the music server and do the ripping on another PC or a microJukebox. The less components you have in the music server the better.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

The CD drive is running (an making electrical noise) even if it's not ripping CDs.

? ? ?

The CD drive is best connected via SATA , and in the same case as the storage device.

I placed an order for HD PLEX 300 watt power supply about three months back in November. Since is was told that I have to wait till it's release in mid December, I bought a regular power supply to poiwer my computer work till I get this power supply.

After three months of wait, last night (01/26/2016), I got my 300 watt HD Plex Linear power supply. I was very excited, could not wait to put it to work. I unpacked it and first thing smelled a fresh paint, pretty heavy, feels very solid. Simple to connect.

But as usual, when you wait for something so long and when you are so excited to get it, after such a long wait, that's when the things goes wrong. I switched it from 220 Volt to 110 volt, plugged in 24 pin connector and 8 pin CPU connector, powered it on. Computer came up normal. Next I plugged SATA cable to my hard drives. I heard a hissing sound and next a smoke from the power supply. I quickly unplugged it. Unplugged all connectors from the back of computer, plugged 24 pin and 8 pin CPU connectors, no SATA, computer worked. I left it on, while sending an email to Larry, five minutes later, a smell and smoke filled my whole apartment. I ran back and unplugged the power. I still see the power supply coming on, showing voltage on LED for variable output but I cannot power on my PC. I connected my existing regular power supply and my computer worked.

I guess now I have to wait another month for replacement, Larry is also surprised, I guess neither of us know what went wrong and what to do next?

My assumption is that one of the wire between Power Supply to Computer may be is short which caused it. These 36 or 40 inch long wires are very soft. I don't know their good quality, but they are too soft. I am think of getting some better quality custom made cables while waiting for the replacement, and which will be another $150.

Wow, sorry to hear of your problems, Rafi. Did you have Larry do any changes to your unit? Did you get a tracking number before it was shipped. I'm still waiting on mine?

No changes were made. Yes, I got the tracking number last week. It takes about 8 days to get it. He is sending another one hopeful before the week end.

As your concern was, SATA cable has four connectors, so the drives will be daisy chained. Good that I built those filters. PCIe is 5 Volt, that's what I will use to power JCAT USB card.

Rafi