IGNORED

Should I use SOtM In-Line SATA Power Noise Filter for CD ROM as well?

trcns

HD Plex 300 Watt Leaner PSU

8 Pin CPU and 8 Pin PCIe wires from power supply to ATX module installed in the computer, have four yellow wires and four black wires.

Question is why? Why there are four black and four yellow wires? Are they carrying a separate signal for each line?

On ATX module, there are two female modules soldered together back to back. If we Count the number of wire used to solder these two modules, they are 20, almost the same as number of wires as in the connectors, which are 22.

Now look at the same ATX module from front, all four pins on one side of the 8 pin connector are short circuit and all four pins on the other side of the connector are short circuit. Same is for the second 8 Pin connector.

Question, why they ran eight separate wires from power supply to the ATX module if they had to short circuit them at ATX module again, why not just two wires, one black and one yellow up to the ATX module? Is there a technical justification or is it for fooling the end users? There were enough connectors on the module to make them straight pass through.

Rafi

Att: Elvia:

Do not use the ATX module from HD PLEX that goes into your PC. Its a big screw up. You will be better off using a straight wire from you power supply into your PC.

O.K. I will bite. Were the short circuits physically wired into the ATX module ?

It is normal practice to feed several yellow (+12V) and black ( 0 volts/Earth) in order to reduce voltage drops, and reduce interaction between the various powered devices. The black wires are all connected to a central earthing point in the PSU, but it is possible to have more than one +12V feed from the PSU.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Att: Elvia:

Do not use the ATX module from HD PLEX that goes into your PC. Its a big screw up. You will be better off using a straight wire from you power supply into your PC.

Rafi, I'm not sure what your speaking of concerning power supply to ATX module. The ATX module on the H5 case should just be a pass thru of the 24 pin connector, CPU 8 pin connector, 8 pin PCIe connector and the 4 pin Sata connector. The 24 pin connector consists of the 12V, 5V & 3.3V.

8 pin CPU is 12V.

Anyways I'll keep your warning in mind and do a straight pass thru if I can't make the module work. I'm still waiting on my unit. No reply from Larry on when it will be sent.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Yes, They all are short on the ATX module. Let me put the pictures. Also if they were short one input/output, that's understandable. But why a one/same ground for all inputs and outputs?

SandyK: my this post was also, to get your feedback, as I not this strong in circuit designing.

Rafi

Look at the picture below, this is a wire from power supply to ATX module installed in the computer, what do you see? Four yellow wires and four black wires.

Question is why? Why there are four black and four yellow wires? Are they carrying a separate signal for each line?

Pic1.jpg

Now, let’s look at the next picture of ATX module, they are two female modules soldered together back to back. Are you with me?

Count the number of wire used to solder these two modules, they are 20, the same as number of pins on the connectors, which are 20 on one side.

Pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Now look at the next picture of the same ATX module from front, all four pins on one side of the 8 pin connector are short circuit and all four pins on the other side of the connector are short circuit. Same is for the second 8 Pin connector.

Question, why they ran eight separate wires from power supply to the ATX module if they had to short circuit them at ATX module again, why not just two wires, one black and one yellow up to the ATX module? Is there a technical justification or is it for fooling the end users? There were enough connectors to make them straight pass through.

I also noticed Black ground common for all these connectors on this module.

Rafi

Rafi, I think your making too much out of the color of the wires, which basically are yellow=power and black=ground, regardless of voltage. Would different colors for different voltages be more appropriate, yes, but really not necessary in this case. I'm not following you on the module, hang up? What does Larry say?

Larry said they had to order a customized PCB to make the requested change to my unit. Looking forward to giving it a go here in February when it arrives.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Rafi, I think your making too much out of the color of the wires, which basically are yellow=power and black=ground, regardless of voltage.

No, that is not correct.

e.g. Yellow = +12V, Black = 0 volts (earth) Red = +5V

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e3/7c/4a/e37c4a9f55306ae386642cd2aca2795f.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

No, that is not correct.

e.g. Yellow = +12V, Black = 0 volts (earth) Red = +5V

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e3/7c/4a/e37c4a9f55306ae386642cd2aca2795f.jpg

Yes, that is correct. Thanks for pointing that out Sandyk.

Now looking at the HDPlex website connectors I see that they do use the correct colors on the ATX connectors. So what is the problem there Rafi???

After a month of wait I got new capacitors, international shipping means long wait, this is how the new board looks like.

IMG_0936.jpg

But now I noticed a new problem, I built 2 board for two SSD's. If put one circuit board feeding the SSD I am okay, but if add a second circuit board, computer shows power but unable to boot. Nothing wrong with boards, either one works. May be too much load? Is it possible to have negative effect on computer by adding these board? Should I add Diodes to prevent power reversal? Capacitors I used are Philips 058, 4700uf 16 volt.IMG_0939.jpg

Rafi

But now I noticed a new problem, I built 2 board for two SSD's. If put one circuit board feeding the SSD I am okay, but if add a second circuit board, computer shows power but unable to boot. Nothing wrong with boards, either one works. May be too much load? Is it possible to have negative effect on computer by adding these board? Should I add Diodes to prevent power reversal? Capacitors I used

Adding an extra parallel PCB will cause a much greater start up load on your linear PSU which it is unlikely to charge as quickly.

Are you only supplying the SSDs from each PCB ? They should only need +5V, but you appear to be also loading the PSUs +12V rail as well, assuming that the PSU is connecting both +12V and +5V to the 4 pin plugs with their red AND yellow wires.

If you don't need +12V, and as you are using the same voltage rated capacitors on each side of the PCB, you may be able to use the incoming red and black wires ONLY, and connect the same red wire to both sides of the inputs of ONE PCB ONLY. Connect only the red and black wires from the 2 output plugs to both sides of the outputs of a single PCB.

Try this with just one PCB and see how it works out.

In other words, you may be able to use a single PCB to supply 2 filtered +5V supplies, provided that you don't also need +12V.

Thanks Sandy, I sniped the yellow and black pair and yes both SSD,s worked on Red and Black. System is working. Now the problem is that I have JCat USB Card which takes 5v power and I am using 5 volt PCIe out from LPSU to power it. If I turn off the LPSU then I have to turn LPSU two or three times to get the power back on this card otherwise it will not power.

Also I was hoping to have your feed back on Capacitors, are these capacitors right for job or did I pick the wrong capacitors again?

Rafi

Thanks Sandy, I sniped the yellow and black pair and yes both SSD,s worked on Red and Black. System is working. Now the problem is that I have JCat USB Card which takes 5v power and I am using 5 volt PCIe out from LPSU to power it. If I turn off the LPSU then I have to turn LPSU two or three times to get the power back on this card otherwise it will not power.

Also I was hoping to have your feed back on Capacitors, are these capacitors right for job or did I pick the wrong capacitors again?

The capacitors are not what I would have chosen, as I like to mix a low ESR type with a normal type, but they will do the job.

Are you able to find a way to switch the power to say the jCat USB card after the PC boots up ?

By then the SSD PSU capacitors will be fully charged .(several hundred milliiseconds later perhaps)

Alternatively, the non OS SSD could be switched on a little later, by say a toggle switch on the front panel perhaps ?

You could try not connecting the power to the non OS SSD to see if the USB card works every time with just the OS SSD powered at start up.

My HDPLEX 300watt linear power supply also have smoking problem...My 1rst board burned.

Larry sent me another board. Easy to Replace.

Now The PC turn on but the PSU start to smell again a little...so I shut it down before the disaster come back again.

I dont use the ATX interconnect plate between the H5 and directly connect the PSU to the MOBO.

I am waiting for a response from Larry at the moment.

My HDPLEX 300watt linear power supply also have smoking problem...My 1rst board burned.

Larry sent me another board. Easy to Replace.

Now The PC turn on but the PSU start to smell again a little...so I shut it down before the disaster come back again.

I dont use the ATX interconnect plate between the H5 and directly connect the PSU to the MOBO.

I am waiting for a response from Larry at the moment.

Wow, Slappy. I haven't received my unit yet (I asked for modifications) but you have me worried about the quality. Please keep us informed on how it all plays out. At least Larry seems to try and fix any issues quickly?

Check the computer without connecting SATA cable, if it works, match wire colors on both ends of SATA connector, that was my problem. It blow up my mother board, Supermicro replace my mother board but now they are charging me $50 + shipping.

Rafi

Check the computer without connecting SATA cable, if it works, match wire colors on both ends of SATA connector, that was my problem. It blow up my mother board, Supermicro replace my mother board but now they are charging me $50 + shipping.

Your speaking of the SATA power connectors, Rafi? As I've already said, I'm having Larry modify my unit for a separate rails for 5V running to my SATA drives, clocks, etc. I do not plan on using the ATX SATA connector w/12V & 5V. You must have accidentally reversed your 12V and 5V leads to your SSD? Are you using the ATX module and if not what did Larry have to say about it?

I have a brand new board installed. I dont have any ssd connected yet for testing purpose. Only the 24 pins atx connected to the mobo directly not using the H5 plate. When i turn on the psu there is a heat smell starting after 5 seconds....i decided to shutdown the psu because i am nervous. My Seasonic psu is working fine in the same setup. I asked Larry what about the heat and odor but i dont have any response yet.

I have a brand new board installed. I dont have any ssd connected yet for testing purpose. Only the 24 pins atx connected to the mobo directly not using the H5 plate. When i turn on the psu there is a heat smell starting after 5 seconds....i decided to shutdown the psu because i am nervous. My Seasonic psu is working fine in the same setup. I asked Larry what about the heat and odor but i dont have any response yet.

What is your mobo drawing for power needs, Slappy? What is your components consist of? Why are you not using the H5 plate? I take it you have the 8pin CPU hooked up also with the 24pin and an OS SSD?

GA-Z97N-WIFI*(rev. 1.1)*mobo with i7 4790k nothing special...i make troobleshooting so i start with the minimum component no drives and no interconnect plate. Larry replied to me and he asked me to let the psu work longer and test it and if the psu survive then i will add component and use the H5 plate.

Ok finally after a couple of minutes the smell is gone :-) Larry was OK and provide me good answer.

The system is working fine even using with the ssd and the H5 plate. :-)

******************************************************************************************

My setup will have Two H5 PC's (Control and Music using Jplay streaming) and two 300 watt linear PSU's from HDPLEX.

ElviaCaprice tell me more about the special order you did from HDPLEX for powering your SSD's with 5 volt connections.

My Control PC have 2 SSD's (OS and Music) and my Music PC have one but also need to feed jcat USB card. I also have a jcat battery power supply not used for now and not sure if i will use it for powering my OS SSD or my Jcat USB card in my Music PC.

Larry told me i can use the USB type C from the linear PSU to connect another SSD.

What do you suggest ?

Ok finally after a couple of minutes the smell is gone :-) Larry was OK and provide me good answer.

The system is working fine even using with the ssd and the H5 plate. :-)

******************************************************************************************

My setup will have Two H5 PC's (Control and Music using Jplay streaming) and two 300 watt linear PSU's from HDPLEX.

ElviaCaprice tell me more about the special order you did from HDPLEX for powering your SSD's with 5 volt connections.

My Control PC have 2 SSD's (OS and Music) and my Music PC have one but also need to feed jcat USB card. I also have a jcat battery power supply not used for now and not sure if i will use it for powering my OS SSD or my Jcat USB card in my Music PC.

Larry told me i can use the USB type C from the linear PSU to connect another SSD.

What do you suggest ?

Good to hear, Slappy.

If you look back thru this thread I go into detail with what I requested from Larry. Post #48

Basically I don't want to contaminate my ATX motherboard/CPU power with any bad power feedback from any SSD (am not use SOTM filters). So I would rather use the 4 DC outputs to accomplish the task of powering everything else outside the ATX. But those 4 DC outputs consist of 3 ouputs that I don't use, so I am having Larry change them to capable 5V outputs (I will leave the 12V as is). Thus 1 LPSU will power everything from 4 hard drives to 1 USB card clock and a mobo clock.

using a power filter on sata devices you'll have only one result: less money. Please study some computer science.

Rubbish. Perhaps you need to further study computer science! Any sudden current demands/spikes from peripheral devices, reflects through the power supply and may also affect the stability of the master Xtal oscillator. Some even go to a lot of trouble by using higher quality master oscillators, and supply them with improved and isolated power.