IGNORED

alternative to jriver: no support

jimbones

I have Foobar2000 loaded on my server and swap my listening sessions back and forth between it and JRiver. Both sound very good, Foobar is a much simpler interface and trouble free in my experience. It also has good support and very easy to program the interface for personal preferences.

If you need a lot of bells and whistles you pay for it in the complexity of JRiver, in my opinion.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

• 4 months later...
Typical response by jriver here. He doesn't seem to get/care that being snarky with customers isn't a great way to run a business.

That is typical of Jriver Jim. He is such a likable guy.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

jimbones,

You might like jplay.

I can't believe this! Is this really the way you treat your customers JRiver? One of your customers posts requesting support and your reply with sarcasm?

Actually, your suggestion is very sensible. My system sounds a whole load better since I dumped JRMC in favour of JPLAY and Bug Head Emperor ... and I don't have to put up with your appalling lack of customer service!

jimbones ... I would suggest that you look into JPLAY. Star at their forum page:

JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

Specific support for Bug Head is available through a thread in the JPLAY Computer Audio Forum:

Infinity Blade HQ (Bug Head Emperor) worth trying - Computer Audio - JPLAY - hi-end audio player for Windows

It's a steep learning curve at first but there are people ready to offer support rather than sarcasm and derision.

I can't believe this! Is this really the way you treat your customers JRiver? One of your customers posts requesting support and your reply with sarcasm?

When he posted, jimbones said he didn't want to use JRiver. In other words, he said he was no longer going to be a JRiver customer.

My suggestion was meant as a humorous remark. I'm sorry if you found it otherwise.

jimbones did get support on our forum. After he started this thread, he discovered that the problem was a driver issue. Unable to use MC after attempting to use it in another System

I'm happy to hear that you've found software you like.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

[OT] Just to point out the obvious - the JRiver folks participate in forums here, but are saying they provide tech support here. They do that on their Interact forum.

Might be a good idea to be polite, since we do get an enormous amount of tech support here, for free, and with direct interaction to people who can *fix* things. Obviously, I am not talking about *just* JRiver when I say that, but heck - don't muck up a good thing we got going here!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I agree. Humor, satire, sarcasm, and anger can all look similar on the web. If you aren't familiar with someone personally, you can easily misjudge their comments. I have to admit that I have made a few terse comments that were unmistakable. [emoji15]

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Very few (audiophiles) do just audio.
Would you care to share the data upon which this statement is based, or is it simply an assumption?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

[OT] Just to point out the obvious - the JRiver folks participate in forums here, but are [NOT] saying they provide tech support here. They do that on their Interact forum.

Oops- obviously I meant "but are NOT saying they provide tech support here." -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

...But if your doing audio and video (with hi res audio) combined, JRiver is it. Most folks do some sort of video playback. Very few (audiophiles) do just audio.

Would you care to share the data upon which this statement is based, or is it simply an assumption?

That is actually a really interesting question. If I might put it a different way, how many audiophiles combine TV/video with their audio systems?

I doubt that the data exists anywhere, and it is hopelessly complicated by the question of what exactly is an audiophile? So, it might be impossible to get a meaningful answer.

Anecdotally, it seems many so-called high end audiophiles separate their music and video systems into different systems in different rooms. Many high end dealers do the same. It seems to be an established tradition going way back, but often for no good reason other than tradition. Some audiophiles are actually quite snooty about keeping the systems separate, with contorted rationalizations for it. JRiver can support audio/video in multiple rooms via Ethernet, of course, though it is somewhat fussier and more complex in doing so.

Personally, though I listen to music much, much more than I watch TV/Video, I have combined my audio and video systems for decades. I do consider myself very much an audiophile, so when I watch something occasionally, I want it to be accompanied by the best sound in the house, which is my main audio system. That even makes TV watching via cable/sat much more pleasurable. The only compromise this entails for me is I must use a horizontal center channel in my Mch rig, rather than a vertical speaker perfectly matched to my LR fronts. But, sonically, that is a minor consequence in my system, more theoretical than real.

Once Blu-Ray became the standard, I upgraded my TV to hi def and my audio to "audiophile grade" Mch all in my main music room. From that, I discovered how good Mch sound really was for music, as well as with video. Since then, most all of my music listening has been in hi rez Mch from SACD, BD-A and even BD video.

I enjoy this great sound immensely, even while watching a football or hockey game, but especially with a concert or opera video or a movie. So, JRiver was a natural choice for me, and I am really, really happy with it for maintaining my music library and for music playback, as well. It actually sounds better to me than my previous separate music player, now in the bedroom.

We poll our users every once in a while. Here's one:

POLL: Audio or Video?

Roughly ...

Video only 10%

Audio only 40%

Audio and Video 35%

Audio, Video, and images 15%

So 60% of our customers who responded do use video.

We think that users tend to start in one area, and gradually move to using more than one.

Granted, that our user base is not just audiophiles, but I believe most of our customers are very serious about audio.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com