IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Mytek started in the pro audio business and by design their DACs are "hotter" than typical DACs resulting in the "overloaded preamp" distorted sound. As a result all of their DACs to date have had the versatility to serve both markets by incorporating the jumper option. Whether anyone needs to do this is system dependent and would suggest trying both configurations. I am guessing that some of the less than stellar comments on the Myteks may be the result of this jumper issue.

A friend and I have owned 4 Mytek DACs; Each of us owned the 192-DSD-DAC and now he has a Brooklyn and I have the Manhattan. I had the distorted sound with both the 192-DSD and Manhattan but this was resolved with great success by adding the jumpers. He, on the other hand, did not have the issue so has kept both of his DACs "unjumped".

If you compare the picture against the actual internals with the cover off, it should be clear what to do with the jumpers.

Another thing to try is somewhat counterintuitive. Mytek suggests that the BYPASS mode of preamp operation (obviously, if used with an external preamp) will provide the best sound quality but a reviewer actually reported significantly better results when using the ANALOG mode set to maximum (100) while using the external preamp to control the volume. Both I and my friend found that operating the DACs this way improved the naturalness of our system's sound quality without sacrificing detail and frequency extension.

As with all things in this audio hobby, YMMV.

Thanks for your advice. it's really helpful. I will try it and reply you soon. ^^

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

I use a Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB which gives a marginal improvement in the upper register over the stock cable (but I've only just installed it). The immediate change came with moving to a balanced headphone cable. My Foster TH900s are cabled in Silver Dragon with a convertor/extension system which really comes into its own when a new headphone amp/DAC demands a different connector. When I swopped to the new balanced connector mid-song, the difference was remarkable – more presence altogether.

Thank you John, have you used spdif with your Brooklyn? Was the moon audio cable expensive?

PPA V4 doesn't work with Brooklyn DAC.... Has anyone experienced this?

I just bought a new DAC (Mytek Brooklyn) for a couple of days. After everything connected, my pc didn't see DAC (sometime see, sometime not).

I tried everything, uninstalled, installed, plug and unplug back and forth many times but it still be the same.

Finally I changed to connect DAC via USB on mobo instead... then it worked.

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

Another thing to try is somewhat counterintuitive. Mytek suggests that the BYPASS mode of preamp operation (obviously, if used with an external preamp) will provide the best sound quality but a reviewer actually reported significantly better results when using the ANALOG mode set to maximum (100) while using the external preamp to control the volume. Both I and my friend found that operating the DACs this way improved the naturalness of our system's sound quality without sacrificing detail and frequency extension.

As with all things in this audio hobby, YMMV.

I recall this review also and the comment that Mytek has deliberately made the analogue out sweeter and warmer to provide what some listeners would like and hence both options available. Bypass and the true sound and analogue and a slightly tuned sound

What is a PPA V4 anyway?

Marc

Paul Pang USB card model V4...(OCXO clock)

Out of interest. What cables (USB and SPDIF) are my fellow Brooklyn owners using? I'm interested to see how much of a difference spending money makes vs broadcast spec cables like Belden 1964a with Canare phono for the SPDIF

I use a Curious Cable usb cable of 80 cm length and before (when I used a Teac UD 501) I started with the Audioquest Carbon. The Curious Cable I like better and I haven't had the inclination to try the Audioquest once more.

Robert-Jan

I recall this review also and the comment that Mytek has deliberately made the analogue out sweeter and warmer to provide what some listeners would like and hence both options available. Bypass and the true sound and analogue and a slightly tuned sound

I do not recall the "comment that Mytek has deliberately made the analogue out sweeter..." but Michal at Mytek told me that he had designed preamps in a previous life.

Whether you choose "Bypass and the true sound" or "Analogue and slightly tuned sound" is a matter of synergy with the rest of the system. We in the hobby would be lucky if every component delivered the "true sound"...whatever that is?! ;-)

That's quite curious. Does it smell? ;)

@Naidiver: Thanks.

Maybe it's not real standard USB?

I use USB just for updates. For music SPdif, I think from Canare.

Marc

Ha Ha Ha I'm not K9, so have no idea LOL...

PPA V4 is a USB3.0. may be not compatible with brooklyn.

I didn't smell anything, but my ears are better than my nose. [emoji28]

Ok, my cables always smell a little weird, after I have been busy with them. Reminds me that I have to do the same with the mains cable to the Brooklyn. I also assume you would smell that!

But after a while, the smell is gone. Music stays.

Marc

I use a Curious Cable usb cable of 80 cm length and before (when I used a Teac UD 501) I started with the Audioquest Carbon. The Curious Cable I like better and I haven't had the inclination to try the Audioquest once more.

It seems so far that not many have experimented with cables with their Brooklyn. I have been looking at the Carbon as an upgrade to a cheapy USB .. Will look at the curious also thank you

Actually Brooklyn is a true native DSD or not?

I played dsd via Foobar. On the left below corner shown me "dsd64"

But when i clicked DSD on foobar dropdown box, it stoped playing. I had to click PCM instead then it played song again.

I wonder why?

Yes the Brooklyn will play native DSD up to 256. I've done it here.

Hi.

What program software do you use?

I have only Hq p and Foobar.

I don't know how to set them to play as native DSD.

Need help.

Hello, glad i found this thread on Mytek Brooklyn DAC discussions. First post to this forum.

I had been looking at the OPPO HA-1 initially but with MQA, i have my eye set on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC along with its Mytek 4pin XLR to 2 1/4 inch jacks balanced headphone adapter to drive my OPPO PM-1 and PM-3 headphones.

I started to search on reviews and discussions on the Brookly DAC and they seem to be few and far between. I did however found in YouTube, following,

The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel

The Mytek Brooklyn is the first non-Meridian DAC to do MQA. But even without MQA it is a dream! (subtitled in English and Dutch - Nederlands ondertiteld).

I currently own the Meridian Explorer2 DAC with some MQA native samples so i have some listening experience with MQA encoded contents.

My music player is Audirvana Plus 2 on Mac mini with AudioQuest JitterBug on the USB port's.

The cables will be Pangea Audio USB AG USB Cable 24 Gauge Pure Silver and Pangea Audio AC 14SE Signature Power Cable.

I don't plan to drive the Mytek unit with external AC-DC power supply, instead using the straight AC.

I think i'm comfortable pulling the trigger on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Then i ran into following informations,

Mytek Brooklyn

, mentioning this "nose floor was raised with hiss, popping noise when unit is turned on/off that is "normal" (???), and noticeable line in the middle of the display screen.

And in YouTube, also mentioning this popping noise,

quattro40v

I'll be doing most if not all of the listening for a while through the head phone, so i don't know if this apparent "nose floor raised" isssue is concern for me. The line in the middle of the display is not a deal breaker for me. The popping noise may.

Since i can't afford the Chord Hugo TT, and Chord Hugo is around the same price point as Brooklyn DAC with latter having bit more features to it, i'm fairly certain i "would be happy" with the Brookln DAC.

I mostly come from portable hi-res listening experiences using Astell Kern AK320 and Onkyo DP-X1 with latter having MQA support.

Could i get some help, feedback on the Brookly DAC, partiuclarly around the above symptoms, hiss and popping noise from current owners of this unit?

Will driving this unit using AC with descent quality cable, Pangea Audio AC 14SE Signature Power Cable, be sufficient?

Thanks much.

The popping noise is there, true. But for some reason or another, I don't mind. Hiss is something I don't have in my set, or I can't hear it with my old ears. Having said that, I did hear the noise in a cd recording at a different set than mine, whereas I could not hear it in my own set.

Marc

That is my only concern is any hiss with my headphones. If I pull the trigger I want as clean a noise floor as possible. I want to run Mr speakers Ether balanced. I have the OPPO HA1 and it is a crystal clear noise floor.

Any thoughts appreciated...

I get popping noise when changing from PCM to DSD, and vice versa, but I get no other noise or hiss. I am running my Brooklyn with an HDPLEX 300W, but even before the LPS, I never got hiss or any other noise, other than the popping when going from one conversion format to another.

Thanks, I didn't expect there to be but I am still in two minds about getting a separate DAC for my HA1. Or is there a BIG difference in SQ with a Brooklyn to my HA1.

I have no doubt about the quality of our Polish Dac maker Mytek.

Not being able to listen to it, is the age old problem of blind buying and good advice from kind people here.....

I want one do I need one???

Thanks for your advice. it's really helpful. I will try it and reply you soon. ^^

When I owned the 192, I just didn't get this overload issue because of my passive preamp. Don't know if this applies to all such passives.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Hello, glad i found this thread on Mytek Brooklyn DAC discussions. First post to this forum.

I had been looking at the OPPO HA-1 initially but with MQA, i have my eye set on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC along with its Mytek 4pin XLR to 2 1/4 inch jacks balanced headphone adapter to drive my OPPO PM-1 and PM-3 headphones.

I started to search on reviews and discussions on the Brookly DAC and they seem to be few and far between. I did however found in YouTube, following,

The Hans Beekhuyzen Channel

The Mytek Brooklyn is the first non-Meridian DAC to do MQA. But even without MQA it is a dream! (subtitled in English and Dutch - Nederlands ondertiteld).

I currently own the Meridian Explorer2 DAC with some MQA native samples so i have some listening experience with MQA encoded contents.

My music player is Audirvana Plus 2 on Mac mini with AudioQuest JitterBug on the USB port's.

The cables will be Pangea Audio USB AG USB Cable 24 Gauge Pure Silver and Pangea Audio AC 14SE Signature Power Cable.

I don't plan to drive the Mytek unit with external AC-DC power supply, instead using the straight AC.

I think i'm comfortable pulling the trigger on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC. Then i ran into following informations,

Mytek Brooklyn

, mentioning this "nose floor was raised with hiss, popping noise when unit is turned on/off that is "normal" (???), and noticeable line in the middle of the display screen.

And in YouTube, also mentioning this popping noise,

quattro40v

I'll be doing most if not all of the listening for a while through the head phone, so i don't know if this apparent "nose floor raised" isssue is concern for me. The line in the middle of the display is not a deal breaker for me. The popping noise may.

Since i can't afford the Chord Hugo TT, and Chord Hugo is around the same price point as Brooklyn DAC with latter having bit more features to it, i'm fairly certain i "would be happy" with the Brookln DAC.

I mostly come from portable hi-res listening experiences using Astell Kern AK320 and Onkyo DP-X1 with latter having MQA support.

Could i get some help, feedback on the Brookly DAC, partiuclarly around the above symptoms, hiss and popping noise from current owners of this unit?

Thanks much.

Hi there. I can't answer all of your questions but for the ones I can these are my observations:

- I've had the Brooklyn for about a week now.

- Recently sold an HA-1 and PM-1s so quite familiar with the Oppos.

The Mytek is completely quiet in terms of noise and similar in that respect to the Oppo HA-1. I get no noise or hiss with Audeze LCD2s and I've also used it with the volume up to maximum into a preamp and it's dead quiet. I'm only using a single ended connection for the headphones as I don't have an adapter yet for balanced.

In terms of popping noises, there is a very subtle 'tick' noise when I turn off the Mytek while I have the headphones on. This is very subtle and present even if the volume is turned down. I don't think this is unusual or abnormal.

Lastly in terms of the screen and line in the middle of it: The Brooklyn actually has 2 square screens that are next to each other. There's no line in the middle, it's just the split between the two screens. Having used it in practice, the screen is beautiful, I like the interface and the two parts work well together.

Running in notwithstanding (mine has about 30 hours on it only), I've gone through a Teac UD501, Auralic Vega, Oppo HA-2, Oppo HA-1, Chord Hugo and Marantz HD-DAC1 and FOR ME this one is the most enjoyable so far.

Hope this helps.

stedes

Headphone System:

Source: Aurender N100H

DAC/Amp: Mytek Brooklyn / Marantz HD-DAC-1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2 2016 rev