IMO, the comparison should be made with the FractalDAC:

UPL>>FractalDAC

vs

Various "Superservers">>U192>>FractalDAC

True, but this would would be a comparison between

€333 >> €635

vs

>€10.000 >> €333 >> €635

so even if the latter would be as good as the first, I would not change anything in my setup.

and with the coax-ready DAPI, maybe I could finally try (as I cannot imagine a Taiko Extreme to be cleaner than this):

SDTrans384 >> Power DAC

(€550 >> €???)

:-)

audio system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Curious to know if anyone with the DAC (and therefore one of the two ECD sources) has used it with headphones?

I tried directly from the DA96 with a Hifiman HE-6, known as very demanding headphones, and indeed volume was too soft and it sounded 'off'. With a Taket H2 + its own TR2 box, the SQ is great.

audio system

3 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Thanks - The Truth preamp has no remote, so unfortunately no good for me.

I only use the power stage of my integrated Cayin tube amp. That means I can use the Cayin's remote to operate another preamp as shown here. On the pic it is still the Lightspeed attenuator, but I am planning to do something similar with my current preamp (also The Truth, with thanks to @hopkins) after I have moved house. (With the SVC this option looks less obvious.)

remote.jpg

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, matthias said:

I meant curious how ECD gear will fit in a DSP speaker setup.😄

I understand that the combination of ECD gear and active speakers does not seem to make sense. But surprisingly some active speaker users prefer to feed these with the analogue signal coming from a great DAC -- however circuitous -- to feeding them directly with a digital source. And if ECD indeed succeeds in making the PowerDAC to be near-source-independent, then everything that comes behind it should benefit.

But this is all just hear-say, so I will just try for myself and play around with the different setups when the time comes, and report back of course. Actually I do not rule out parallel setups in two separate rooms (one with active, one with passive speakers).

As great a fan I am of the ECD sound, I prefer not to put all my eggs in one (i.e. the ECD) basket, if only for reasons of continuous comparison.

audio system

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I find the source immunity concept not straightforward.

In some way we want the DAC to reveal -- not hide -- the source.

I guess the source immunity we talk about here refers to (1) correction of time problems and (2) removal of electrical noise. If that is correct, I can imagine why we perceive reduced source dependence with the Power DAC. But there are other factors that we (at least I) do not know enough about that influence the sound. For instance the improvement that is still perceived (reported offline by huubster) when upgrading a power cable. If something is 'missing' in the source, don't we want the DAC to show that?

I am still using a Mutec reclocker (doubling as a usb-toslink converter) before my PD, but hope to be able to compare that with PD only soon.

audio system

19 hours ago, szczemirek said:

@hopkins but for me you are lover not objective listener.

Besides the fact that objective listeners may not exist at all, I still think this is a bold assumption from someone who has not even listened to the Power DAC. At least @hopkins has. And so far others concur with his praise.

Of course I am looking forward to some critical comments re the PD SQ, to put things in perspective...

audio system

7 minutes ago, hopkins said:

This is what I mean, and it does make things complicated - that is why I often go back to plugging headphones directly into the PowerDAC (even though I find listening to speakers ultimately more enjoyable). 

Yes, that seems like a good way to simplify the test. It is a pity that both my serious headphones (TakeT and Hifiman) are way too demanding for the PD :-)

I feel another post coming up...

audio system

I tried my Hifiman HE-6 headphones directly on the Power DAC, however the volume is much too low -- which could have been be expected with their 83.5 dB sensitivity and 50 Ohms nominal impedance.

My TakeT I should forget about as they really need speaker outputs and a powerful amp. 

ECD's website states that the PD's "... low output impedance and 1.4V rms max. output amplitude make it also suitable to directly drive most headphones with impedance between 32 Ohms and up (tested / verified)."

What would be suitable sensitivity/impedance combinations?

audio system