IGNORED

ECdesigns

Hi,

I have received a reply from John Brown regarding the possibility of a balanced version (XLR out) of PowerDAC. It seems unlikely due to the much higher cost implications.
I still would like to try the PowerDAC with a RCR to XLR cable. Let's see if I can get hold of one at some point. :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

15 hours ago, Ben75 said:

Sad news.. But I guess it should work great with RCA to XLR cable !

Perhaps should you ask to John if he can book you the first (customer) place when he will launch the PowerDAC?

I have asked John if he could send one to my friend, who lives in Holland. :)
So, he could bring it to me when he is able to travel to Istanbul.

12 hours ago, hopkins said:

I am really looking forward to comparing notes with some of you, hopefully in a few weeks time. 

We are all waiting in anticipation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@hopkins
Thanks for the detailed info on the volume of PowerDAC-R.

I would test it with my active speakers to see how the volume works.
I normally listen at highish volumes, as long as I get a reasonable range I might get away with using PowerDAC-R's volume.
If not I will use my existing DAC's analog input and its excellent analog volume control.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Huubster said:

Glad you agree Ben :) 

My current line of thinking is that I will use the PowerDAC 'as is' first. Meaning using my Innuos with Toslink out, and using the PowerDAC as stand alone DAC, just as I use the DA96ETF currently for proper comparison. Later on I may try using USB, and using PowerDAC as a pre-amplifier. 

I'd be interested in reading your findings on using PowerDAC as a pre, as this is how I intend to try/use it. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hopkins said:

Seeing the reactions to the previous posts, I was wondering who is going to purchase a PowerDAC immediately and who is  going to wait for more feedback before they decide. Is it indescrete to ask? I am purchasing the pre-production unit I tested, BTW. I have tried, not to be too enthusiastic here and "inflate" things. In fact, I've had the opportunity to compare the powerDAC to two other respected DACs but am saving my comments for later 😁 I am looking forward to hearing what some of you will have to say after listening to it. It does not look like there will be any professional reviews anytime soon. ECD are unique in that way too 😀

I'd love to try it out with my active system and compare it with my current DAC.
I am currently based in Istanbul and need to see how easily I can buy one. Otherwise, I have to ask my friend who lives in Holland to get one for me and bring it to me, when he hopefully visits me in the next few weeks. :)

4 hours ago, hopkins said:

I am testing this setup this morning, and I thought I would share it here as it could be of interest to others:

- USB Audio Player Pro  (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=fr&gl=US) on an android tablet, with an OTG connector and USB cable going to ECD's USB/Toslink converter

- output can be set to "bit perfect"

- can compare local files stored on the tablet's SD card (so no wifi needed) to Qobuz or Tidal (streaming with wifi)  

- setup is "portable" (tablets battery powers the USB-Toslink) so you can take it to friends' or when you want to demo speakers/amps at a dealer's 👍

tablet.thumb.jpg.57b94c1672215c6e037b64d75979a13d.jpg

USB cable used here is ECD's thick pink cable which I got with the previous DAC. That cable is over 2 meter long. USB OTG short cable is an Amazon basic. 

Excellent, this is how I intend to use the PowerDAC in my system; with a USB/Toslink converter. This would simply allow me to replace my Lindemann DAC and use the existing setup (Mac Mini, Qobuz, Audirvana).

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Yes, I think I would be satisfied -- as I was satisfied 20 years ago. But you now how it goes. Once we behold the improvement, the damage is done. To quote my girlfriend, who says, ironically, everytime I buy something new: "Oh, so now finally you will have good sound quality?"

Indeed I am now -- after many years of quiet satisfaction -- looking at speakers. The Spendor-Buchardt comparison may have opened a can of worms.

Try a pair of active ATCs. :)

56 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Interesting indeed.

Looking forward to a listening session with ATC SCM19(A) en SCM40(A) passive en active versions coming Monday.

Thanks!

That sounds great! :)
If you can, please also listen to a pair of SCM 50As or above. 50s and above speakers use the higher spec drivers.
Please share your listening impressions.
Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

When people refere to a DAC sounding more analog, I believe, they mean the sound not being too analytical. There's a similar comparison between traditional speakers and the new DSP corrected/aided speakers such Kiis and Dutch & Dutch.
I listened to both the Kiis and the D&Ds side by side and found them sounding a little too analytical to my liking. I preferred the D&D to the Kiis as it sounded more like my ATCs.
With the DSP technology they are able to get bigger bass out of small cabinets, but I can clearly tell the difference. The bass reaches lower but not as pleasant to listen to.
Similarly some DACs sound less analytical or digital, some DAC designers use tubes to make their DACs sound more analog like.

• 2 months later...

I fully agree, the reduction of noise/distortion provides the biggest improvement in sound quality. Once you hear it you just cannot un-hear it.

My first experience was with my active ATCs. Their super linear magnet design reduces third harmonic distortion by 10-15 dB between 100 Hz and 3kHz, which results in clearer, more detailed sound.
The second experience was with my Antelope Zodiac Gold DAC. It sounded great with its own special power supply, but when I used it with battery power the improvement was so big. With the distortion reduced, I always ended up turning the volume up!

I would love to compare the sound of Power DAC-R with my active ATCs against Power DAC-S1 driving a pair of very good passive speakers. I believe speakers are also very important in determining the performance and sound quality.

23 hours ago, fas42 said:

Speakers, in general, are only a tiny part of this story - many people would be amazed at how really, really cheap speakers can throw up a fully immersive soundscape with ease, if simple steps on tweaking them are taken, and most importantly, they are driven properly.

If you are referring to my post, I am talking about active speakers, which also include built-in amplification and electronics. Well designed and integrated drivers and electronics form more than a tiny part of the equation, this is my experience anyway.
And I agree, reducing/minimising electrical noise also makes a big impact on SQ, hence my reference to using battery power.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see the benefit of Power DAC S provided there's a pair of perfectly matching speakers.

But if the builtin volume control of PowerDAC R is sufficient to drive an excellent pair of active speakers, I am sure one should get very satisfying results and benefit from all that Power DAC R offers.
I wish I could test PowerDAC R with my wonderful active ATCs. I am based in Istanbul and not sure how easy it would be to organise it all. I may contact ECdesigns. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, mevdinc said:

In my previous dedicated and treated large room I tried nearfiled listening with my big active ATCs. I was quite close to the speakers (>2m) with similar distance between the speakers and large toe-in.
I must say the experience was  quite amazing, very much like listening to an amazing pair of giant headphones.

Noticed a type in my comment. When I say 'I was quite close to the speakers (>2m)...' of course, I meant less than 2m! I am sure you would have guessed that I believe the distance to the speakers was more like 1.5m and, for big speakers such as mine, that's pretty close. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Happy New Year to all.

Can anyone comment on the possible combination of PowerDAC SX and PureAudioProject Open Baffle speakers with 96db sensitivity and 8ohm impedance?

Many thanks.

Mev

17 minutes ago, Khronos said:

Qualio IQs are relatively power hungry. They're detailed, delicate, and open, which if it is whay you are after, they'd do well.

ATCs on the other hand are more transparent and somewhat muscular (at least from what I remember), aren't they?

Try thinking about what exactly you are looking for in speakers, and definitely audition and don't buy blind. Voxativs are extremely delicate, very good for jazz, small ensembles, and vocals; but if you are a Rammstein fan they'll feel polite.

If possible, see if anyone near you auditions Lii Audio speakers. You might be surprised by their performance.

If you live near Munich, there's a man named Oleg Rullit who makes the best field coils in the world.

Here's his E-bay page.

https://www.ebay.com/str/rullitaudioultrafiandvintage

They're good all-rounders. I highly recommend you at least try to audition them (mind, the €8500 euro there is his flagship. He has options down to €1200)

I'm not really after anything in particular. I sold my amazing ATC EL 150 actives 2 years ago and instead of simply getting ATCs again I thought why not try something different first. :)
Yes, ATCs sound really lovely with great dynamics and headroom. And that wonderful 3inch midrange ddriver is really something.

I listen to all kinds of music as long as the recording is good quality, from Jazz to Heavy Metal. :) I have been following the PowerDAC topic for sometime and I thought it would be worth trying the SX version with a suitable open baffle design. If I like it then I'll keep it for a while and then move back to ATCs again or perhaps try the new Dutch & Dutch 8C with the BACCH add-on.  I do like active speakers, just adding a nice DAC with a decent pre or volume control is all I need.
PowerDAC-SX + open baffle speakers also seem to offer a very simple solution.

I have recently moved to the lovely little city of Spoleto in Italy. How long I stay here will determine what sort of system I end up with eventually.
Thanks again.

Thank you all for the additional info.
There are just so many options out there. :)

What I get will also depend on what sort of listening room I will have, so the first thing to sort out is a place to live.
PowerDac-SX plus the PureAudio Duet15 combo seems worth trying.  I'll keep you posted.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:35 PM, mevdinc said:

Thank you all for the additional info.
There are just so many options out there. :)

What I get will also depend on what sort of listening room I will have, so the first thing to sort out is a place to live.
PowerDac-SX plus the PureAudio Duet15 combo seems worth trying.  I'll keep you posted.

Just discovered another potential open baffle candidate to go with the PowerDAC-SX!
Clayton Shaw CALADAN (Clayton is the designer behind the Spatial M3-M4) with 93-94db sensitivity. Direct sale and shipping from the States with around 3 months lead time but it's worth a shot considering the relatively low price tag of $3,000.