IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

Here is what it is. Came in a  12X12 inch black box with form cut foam for the cable. Another label on the box says the cable itself is made by Finisair.

PXL_20230903_034333494.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

13 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Did you take the time to open the link and study the variants ?

I do not think there is anything named SFP-10G-AOC2M

See the pic I just posted. I actually looked at the spread sheet link you posted before buying, as I go from a Cisco 2960L to an oM via multimode SFP, and then BJC Cat 6a to another oM, and then the AOC to the opticalRendu. Unfortunately the AOC won't work with my switch model to the first oM. 

As far as the whole + thing goes, I don't know, maybe this is actually a plus. Anyway, if you scroll down the link to the AOC section, my model is there, and orange is the color it comes in at that length. But it says + on the info sheet, so maybe the non-plus is discontinued? 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

See the pic I just posted. I actually looked at the spread sheet link you posted before buying, as I go from a Cisco 2960L to an oM via multimode SFP, and then BJC Cat 6a to another oM, and then the AOC to the opticalRendu. Unfortunately the AOC won't work with my switch model to the first oM. 

As far as the whole + thing goes, I don't know, maybe this is actually a plus. Anyway, if you scroll down the link to the AOC section, my model is there, and orange is the color it comes in at that length. But it says + on the info sheet, so maybe the non-plus is discontinued? 

So I assume you’re not sure it it’s a multi mode or single mode cable ?

I noticed the prices seems to vary a lot on eBay, on what seems to be the same cable, so would try to make sure I’m getting the same for testing between my OpticalModule and the OpticalRendu. 

With the part number you gave on the box, I should be able to find equal. 

Look eBay item 115851883077

What rev is it ?Top right corner on picture not showing 

@R1200CL Here's the original listing. Looks like he has more available. REV: AO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295759405072

And ignore the ones that say 'compatible' as those will work with Cisco etc but are made from aftermarket parts. It also appears that Cisco ones are made in China, Malaysia, and the Philippines. No idea if that makes any difference. 

46 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

Typically orange is used for OM1 MMF so most likely it is 10G SR. It's strange that neither the listing or the packaging mentions this specification.

Nope. Cisco goes by the latch color. Here's the listing, and you can see the SFP-10G-AOC is brown, and that's what I have. Not sure why this is so difficult - but then again even @R1200CL didn't scroll down and read the link he sent me. 

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 11.30.35 AM.jpg

Though it does appear as if the cable used is multimode: Finisair FCBG110SD1C02-CS. The SFP cage says nothing about mode; the serial numbers do match up with the box. Cisco certainly don't make this easy. Anyway, loving the sound and for $35 it's a hard to beat tweak if running fiber. 

Edit: added a pic of the SFP itself. 

PXL_20230903_185500532.jpg

3 minutes ago, SQFIRST said:

@charlesphoto ha! I had only looked at your picture of the setup and my monitor shows it as orange. Thanks for sharing a positive experience.

You're welcome. The cable is orange, the latch brown (I hope your monitor's not that far off!). Better pic in the post above. 

9 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I did, but missed the important difference between cable and latch color. Thanks for clarifying. 

No worries, it's all extraordinarily confusing, even for those of us who have been at it for bit.

I wonder (too) about SQ - since there differences in the manufactured location and its a Finisar FCBG oem.

4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Though it does appear as if the cable used is multimode: Finisair FCBG110SD1C02-CS. The SFP cage says nothing about mode; the serial numbers do match up with the box. Cisco certainly don't make this easy. Anyway, loving the sound and for $35 it's a hard to beat tweak if running fiber. 

Edit: added a pic of the SFP itself. 

PXL_20230903_185500532.jpg

20 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

No worries, it's all extraordinarily confusing, even for those of us who have been at it for bit.

It's a bit like a Dilbert cartoon of meaningless information. There is no mention of whether it is multimode or singlemode regardless of Latch color (not helpful) or product listing. One can infer that with AOC being short cables that it is multimode (Short Range - SR). The use of industry standard fiber cable color, orange for multimode, can also be used to guess. Browsing around there are other compatible listings of this unit that actually do mention multimode 850nm SFP+.

Doing a bit of resarch this morning, Cisco mfgs in about fifteen different countries, for a myriad of reason, mostly being certification, tariffs, etc. I would imagine that no matter the hardware supplier, they are built to Cisco's specifications, but as we all know, sound can be a picky thing and they were not designed for that in mind.  I think that's a rabbit hole few would deign to venture down (I won't), but on the used market one could easily buy a set from different countries with the different ODM hardware and compare, for much less than the price of what Afterdark charges for one. 

On 9/4/2023 at 11:07 AM, TRHH said:

It seems that Cisco are using man different companies to produce the SFP-10G-AOC:

image.thumb.png.d6f3d5ba442c70d85a14d153af6f4dab.png

Torben

I'm guessing the FI part is Finisar OEM and the AV part is Avago OEM.

Intel also sources from both of those OEMs.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 9/4/2023 at 12:16 PM, SQFIRST said:

It's a bit like a Dilbert cartoon of meaningless information. There is no mention of whether it is multimode or singlemode regardless of Latch color (not helpful) or product listing. One can infer that with AOC being short cables that it is multimode (Short Range - SR). The use of industry standard fiber cable color, orange for multimode, can also be used to guess. Browsing around there are other compatible listings of this unit that actually do mention multimode 850nm SFP+.

Careful about inferring too much about AOCs ... the manufacturer can use whatever they want and no particular standard as long as the cables transmit the bits. 100Gbe AOCs, if they have thin cables, will tend to be singlemode because the multimode cables are different -- lookup MPO/MTP

Custom room treatments for headphone users.