IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your fantastic job!

I just installed a DAC I bought, specifically this model PiFi Digi / HIFI Digi Digital Audio Card with I2S to S/PDIF for my rpi B (512mb) I bought here PiFi Digi / HIFI Digi Digital Audio Card with I2S to S/PDIF for Raspberry PI B - Blue - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It is connected to a sound bar using a TOSLink cable, from the I2S Audio device I selected HifiBerry DAC but it doesn't sound.

Should I pick a different one or mine is not supported?

Many thanks in advance.

Paco.

For a user lost in space, which I2S should I select to make PIFI DIGI I2S to S/PDIF work, Or is just simply not going to work?

Thanks in advance

Paco.

I have a Digi+, mine works over optical S/PDIF

I had to select the I2S in System configuration and then I2S in audio device in MPD configuration.

Did you select I2S audio device in MPD configuration?

For a user lost in space, which I2S should I select to make PIFI DIGI I2S to S/PDIF work, Or is just simply not going to work?

Thanks in advance

Paco.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

Tim, does music streamed over shAirplay lose anything over music played directly from Moode?

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

Tim, does music streamed over shAirplay lose anything over music played directly from Moode?

Hi,

My understanding is that Airplay uses Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) and is "bit-perfect" (no resampling) for 44.1 kHz rate. Rates > 44.1 are down sampled using SoX, at lease in the shairport-sync implementation on Moode.

Bottom line is that for 16/44.1 material, direct play and Airplay should be same but YMMV.

Regards,

Tim

Thank you Tim, I will try with this util.

Launching Ario on my MPD db, apparently there are no errors...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24542[/ATTACH]

I confirm that with "TrackErr" utility I'm able to find where my track problems are (mainly odd character in filenames, likely coming from Macs which digests everything..) but it's a long way to correct all of them!

In any case thanks.

Interesting.

I had my friend Peter over today and we did some comparisons. My Mac Mini sounds BETTER *streaming* through Moode on a Pi with the Hifiberry Digi+ hooked via optical spdif to my Ayre Codex than my Mac Mini sounds using Audirvana Plus and USB Regen. Sharper, clearer, more musical. This is phenomenal. I'm listening to music much more. Next up… can it beat my vinyl setup? Will be interesting to try that…*I still think not, but we'll see.

Hi,

Here is link for procedure to transplant new Jessie kernel to Moode for testing the new Pi-3 :-)

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi - Page 198 - diyAudio

Make sure to do this on a TEST sd card since its strictly a workaround until rpi-update releases a kernel with the Pi-3 commits.

After booting with new kernel run following cmds to update CRDA database for the new combo WIFI/BT chip, otherwise bunch of messages.

apt-get install wireless-regdb iw crda

reboot

Regards,

Tim

Thank you Tim, I will try with this util.

Launching Ario on my MPD db, apparently there are no errors...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24542[/ATTACH]

I give up!

Even after correcting a number of files names to rermove strange chars, so that I have no error whatsoever with the utility "Trackerr", still my library shows only a few hundred files out of the 43000+ that I have on my USB disk.

I will continue using the "by folder" view under Browse.

At the end the sound is the important thing!

:)

I give up!

Even after correcting a number of files names to rermove strange chars, so that I have no error whatsoever with the utility "Trackerr", still my library shows only a few hundred files out of the 43000+ that I have on my USB disk.

I will continue using the "by folder" view under Browse.

At the end the sound is the important thing!

:)

Hi Franz,

I'd suggest copying off some of the folders to a USB stick. Run UPDATE MPD DB and then see if the files from the stick show up in Library.

You could also zip up a couple of folders that don't show up in Library and send me a download link. I'll be happy to look at them.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I just installed Moode and am trying it out instead of piCorePlayer on my Pi Model 2.

I have radio working and it works very well.

Now the noob question-

I'd like to use the music files stored on a USB hard drive attached to my PC, which is on the same network as the Pi. I see instruction on how to connect a NAS to Moode but I'm not sure how to (or if I can) use the files on the USB drive connected to the PC.

I'd rather not remove the drive and connect it directly to the Pi as the drive also feeds other squeezeboxes around the house.

Do I need to configure Windows file sharing options?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Tim,

I just installed Moode and am trying it out instead of piCorePlayer on my Pi Model 2.

Now the noob question-

I'd like to use the music files stored on a USB hard drive attached to my PC, which is on the same network as the Pi. I see instruction on how to connect a NAS to Moode but I'm not sure how to (or if I can) use the files on the USB drive connected to the PC.

I'd rather not remove the drive and connect it directly to the Pi as the drive also feeds other squeezeboxes around the house.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Tim,

you should share those forders via windows share - in moode select the NAS / samba (cifs) source.

--

Regards

bcs

Hi Tim,

Now the noob question-

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Mike,

How are the squeezeboxes able to access the USB drive?

-Tim

Hi Mike,

How are the squeezeboxes able to access the USB drive?

-Tim

Tim,

AFAIK this is just the way the Squeezebox world works. The PC that runs Logitech Media Server (LMS) has the music-containing USB drive attached, and LMS is told where the library is and then serves the tunes to the sboxes.

I think the difference (to me) is that Moode runs on the Pi itself and is networked to the server PC, so it needs to look back through the PC to the USB drive. With LMS the drive is connected directly to the PC via USB - much easier for me to comprehend!

Tim, one more thing while I have you - Is there any way to implement any filters other than Linear in Moode? I found the ability to dial in whatever filtering you want (minimum phase to linear phase, in 50 increments, using piCorePlayer) gives one a great deal of flexibility in tuning the sound to one's preference.

bcs - thanks for the advice, I'll try it.

-Mike

Tim,

AFAIK this is just the way the Squeezebox world works. The PC that runs Logitech Media Server (LMS) has the music-containing USB drive attached, and LMS is told where the library is and then serves the tunes to the sboxes.

I think the difference (to me) is that Moode runs on the Pi itself and is networked to the server PC, so it needs to look back through the PC to the USB drive. With LMS the drive is connected directly to the PC via USB - much easier for me to comprehend!

Tim, one more thing while I have you - Is there any way to implement any filters other than Linear in Moode? I found the ability to dial in whatever filtering you want (minimum phase to linear phase, in 50 increments, using piCorePlayer) gives one a great deal of flexibility in tuning the sound to one's preference.

bcs - thanks for the advice, I'll try it.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Ok LMS like MPD. Then u will need to share out the attached USB drive using whatever method is provided on the PC, then in Moode configure a NAS source that references the share.

Tip: on NAS source screen, in the Remote directory field, no leading slash!

Moode does not support any type of filtering except for certain PCM5122 based I2S DAC's where various on-chip oversampling filter can be selected.

-Tim

Folks,

I talked with Tim last week and just got my RPI2 in the mail today. Installed Moode and got it running in about 30 minutes on Airplay.

I'm outputting from the Pi2 through USB to a Audiophilleo and then from there to a Metrum Octave and then into the analogue realm...

So that went perfectly... On to try JRiver. I finally got it running, and ran into one snag. It plays 16/44 files perfectly, but I get cracks and pops in the sound at higher bitrates and/or bit depth. I'm not sure which, but I could make some files of various specs to see which one is the source of the problem.

Anyway, I read about the issue with the USB power so I tried the setting that increased the power output to the USB by 2x, and that seemed to make the device unstable. It kept appearing and disappearing on the JRiver status as a DLNA device.

Not sure what else to try... Should I order a higher voltage power supply, like the MCM device:

5.25VDC 2.4A Regulated AC Power Adapter - 48" Cord with Micro USB Plug | 28-19336 (2819336) | Distributed By MCM

or similar?

Are there any other settings I should be trying in the Mood setup or in Jriver to address this? I could obviously go to 16/44 with everything, but really would like to hear HD music!

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

Folks,

I talked with Tim last week and just got my RPI2 in the mail today. Installed Moode and got it running in about 30 minutes on Airplay.

I'm outputting from the Pi2 through USB to a Audiophilleo and then from there to a Metrum Octave and then into the analogue realm...

So that went perfectly... On to try JRiver. I finally got it running, and ran into one snag. It plays 16/44 files perfectly, but I get cracks and pops in the sound at higher bitrates and/or bit depth. I'm not sure which, but I could make some files of various specs to see which one is the source of the problem.

Anyway, I read about the issue with the USB power so I tried the setting that increased the power output to the USB by 2x, and that seemed to make the device unstable. It kept appearing and disappearing on the JRiver status as a DLNA device.

Not sure what else to try... Should I order a higher voltage power supply, like the MCM device:

5.25VDC 2.4A Regulated AC Power Adapter - 48" Cord with Micro USB Plug | 28-19336 (2819336) | Distributed By MCM

or similar?

Are there any other settings I should be trying in the Mood setup or in Jriver to address this? I could obviously go to 16/44 with everything, but really would like to hear HD music!

---Michael

Michael where does Jriver come.into play if you don't mind me asking?

I stream everything via moode feeding a usb into my dac. I can stream hires files wothout pops and clicks although I have built a linear power supply 5v and 3a.

I have all my media on the nas and rpi is connected via ethernet cable to my nas.

Better psu will make sense especially if you are streaming from a device that is usb attached.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Michael where does Jriver come.into play if you don't mind me asking?

I stream everything via moode feeding a usb into my dac. I can stream hires files wothout pops and clicks although I have built a linear power supply 5v and 3a.

I have all my media on the nas and rpi is connected via ethernet cable to my nas.

Better psu will make sense especially if you are streaming from a device that is usb attached.

Mark

Btw. I use mpod for apple and mupeace for android as a remote.

Just a followup on the above...

I have a 5.0V-2A power supply that came with it.

I went into JRiver and figured out how to send it different bit depth and bitrate values. I determined that it is the 24 bit depth that is the source of the cracks and pops. I'm playing a 16/192 file right now.

So I went into the Moode control panel, and in the Audio Info setting there is an interesting thing.

It says that the file is 16/192, as expected, It says that the DSP is OFF, but it still shows a resampling of 16/48...

Not sure whether to believe the DSP=OFF or the resampling info...

So, a last little test, I told the RPi to resample that 16/192 file up to 24/192, and the static is back.

I think it's pretty clearly an issue between the RPi and the Audiophilleo. Now the question is whether I can resolve it with more power or another setting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Btw. I use mpod for apple and mupeace for android as a remote.

I am planning to use JRiver as my main interface, primarily through JRemote. It is installed on my server that is in the closet.

I could use the Moode interface, but I was thinking that it would be better to use JRiver to feed to my rooms rather than have Moode in each space with separate web locations.

I'm not wedded to that, however, so I'll explore these options as I go.

I was planning to assemble a box for the RPi and probably install a linear PS, so if you can point me towards what you used to build it, I'd appreciate it.

---Michael

Tim,

As a followup to the conversation above, I do believe I have a bug for you to look into...

I have been messing with the input/output options as noted above, and it appears that when sending a file higher than 16/48 to the RPi, it appears to resample it to 16/48 regardless of whether you tell it to resample or not.

I sent a file at 16/192 to it, and with no resampling, it stated the output was 16/48.

I sent a file at 24/192 to the RPi and with no resampling it reported the output was 24/192. This one had all kinds of static and pops.

So, I think the reason I was having success with the 16-bit files may be that it was also downsampling the file to 16/48.

Let me know if you need any more description or some screen grabs.

I'm very please with what I'm hearing, and I think my CAPSv2 machine will be pulled from the stereo in short order, as long as I can resolve the static and pops on HD music! Keep up the great work on this.

---Michael

Tim,

As a followup to the conversation above, I do believe I have a bug for you to look into...

I have been messing with the input/output options as noted above, and it appears that when sending a file higher than 16/48 to the RPi, it appears to resample it to 16/48 regardless of whether you tell it to resample or not.

I sent a file at 16/192 to it, and with no resampling, it stated the output was 16/48.

I sent a file at 24/192 to the RPi and with no resampling it reported the output was 24/192. This one had all kinds of static and pops.

So, I think the reason I was having success with the 16-bit files may be that it was also downsampling the file to 16/48.

Let me know if you need any more description or some screen grabs.

I'm very please with what I'm hearing, and I think my CAPSv2 machine will be pulled from the stereo in short order, as long as I can resolve the static and pops on HD music! Keep up the great work on this.

---Michael

Hi Michael,

I'm not familiar w/JRiver app. What method are u using on JRiver to play files through Moode?

-Tim

Hi Michael,

I'm not familiar w/JRiver app. What method are u using on JRiver to play files through Moode?

-Tim

DLNA device... so I turn on the UPNP Renderer setting in Moode.

I think it's running perfectly in this respect. Other then it appearing to resample when resampling is turned OFF.

---Michael