IGNORED

Technics Tracks site

The Technics Tracks site is apparently now live in UK and Germany.

Not bad pricing from a quick glance, some HD at £7.49 (Bjork - Vulnicura) others higher at £12.99 (Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The more hi-res sites, the better. At least some of them are regularly having sales and discounts recently. Competition does make some difference.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The more hi-res sites, the better. At least some of them are regularly having sales and discounts recently. Competition does make some difference.

Absolutely, I will have to take a good look around this site.

I just did a quick comparison of Physical Graffiti 24/96 at some major sites which takes the exchange rate to Australian Pesos into account:

HD Tracks: AUD 38.04

Technics Germany: AUD 35.98

Technics UK: AUD 42.20

Quobuz: AUD 31.66

Acoustic Sounds: AUD 38.04

Of course different releases will vary from site to site, so it pays to shop around.

I just did a quick comparison of Physical Graffiti 24/96 at some major sites which takes the exchange rate to Australian Pesos into account:

Of course different releases will vary from site to site, so it pays to shop around.

Sadly it's the same product, so Physical Graffiti 96/24 will sound the same from any of the vendors, so price wins out.

Also add to your list (standard version, not the Deluxe).

HiresAudio DE : AUD 36.37

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

That confirms my observation, Qobuz is usually among the cheapest.

If you throw in classical, you can sometimes find even better prices at Eclassical or Presto Classical, or even at the label's/orchestra's own site (Hyperion, BSO, etc. etc.).

Sadly it's the same product, so Physical Graffiti 96/24 will sound the same from any of the vendors, so price wins out.

Actually, I have one factor, convenience, which sometimes leads me to pay just a small premium at Qobuz, which is their own app for iOS (iPad and Iphone). Whereever you are, you can download any purchase made at Qobuz for free in lossless onto your phone/tablet.

For me with a large library and no Itunes match this is one of the few opportunities to have a part of my library accessible "in the cloud".

The Technics Tracks site is apparently now live in UK and Germany.

Not bad pricing from a quick glance, some HD at £7.49 (Bjork - Vulnicura) others higher at £12.99 (Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night).

The site looks ok, it will be better when there is more material available - not exactly the widest selection in the world !

A few interesting bargains though https://tracks.technics.com/GB/releases/4063217 - The Very Best Of John Coltrane - Deluxe edition (24/96) - 43 tracks for £2.99 !!!

Download process is painful - you have to download the tracks individually, I guess they will fix that soon...

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

The site looks ok, it will be better when there is more material available - not exactly the widest selection in the world !

A few interesting bargains though https://tracks.technics.com/GB/releases/4063217 - The Very Best Of John Coltrane - Deluxe edition (24/96) - 43 tracks for £2.99 !!!

Download process is painful - you have to download the tracks individually, I guess they will fix that soon...

Depending on which browser you use, there may be a download manager plug-in available. DownThemAll, a Firefox plug-in, is very reliable. Alas, since it sold its soul to Yahoo, Firefox is a hot mess. I need to look for download managers to use with Safari and Chrome.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Depending on which browser you use, there may be a download manager plug-in available. DownThemAll, a Firefox plug-in, is very reliable. Alas, since it sold its soul to Yahoo, Firefox is a hot mess. I need to look for download managers to use with Safari and Chrome.

I'm trying to use the download managers that Technics recommend for Chrome.... with some success, they are just a bit messy to use - they need to sort out a better way to download albums etc. without resorting to plug-ins for web browsers. They also need to get better ways of contacting them with issues etc. But at least it is a start.

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

Alas, since it sold its soul to Yahoo, Firefox is a hot mess.
You mean when they switched from Google to the more privacy-conscious Yahoo as a default search engine? Which changed nothing else?

Switching to Chrome, the web browser created by an advertising company, is definitely the solution to that. Not just changing the default search engine in Firefox back to Google.

The only browser I have that is a mess is Chrome: buggy, has trouble playiing Flash streams, freezes up, crashes. Firefox works seemslessly for me.

And what are you trying to say, that when Firefox "sold its' soul" to Google it was okay, but now that it has switched to Yahoo, somehow it isn't okay?

How do you draw that conclusion?

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Which changed nothing else?

I'm sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I can give you a list of at least 100 sites that I can no longer access using Firefox, because they are immediately redirected to a Yahoo DNS solution error page.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

The only browser I have that is a mess is Chrome: buggy, has trouble playiing Flash streams, freezes up, crashes. Firefox works seemslessly for me.

And what are you trying to say, that when Firefox "sold its' soul" to Google it was okay, but now that it has switched to Yahoo, somehow it isn't okay?

How do you draw that conclusion?

Because when Firefox was in thrall to Google it worked. Now it doesn't.

I'm sorry, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. I can give you a list of at least 100 sites that I can no longer access using Firefox, because they are immediately redirected to a Yahoo DNS solution error page.
A quick search suggests that this may be related to a rogue add-on, rather than the recent switch from Google to Yahoo.

I don't use either, so I haven't experienced this problem.

A few weeks on since these posts, decided to have a look at the DE site.

Yes, similar to the same offerings as Highresaudio, however Technics Tracks does not offer any DSD.

Norah Jones has two full albums, and a half handful from compilations. Of the two full albums, Come away with me, is available in 192/24, or 96/24, Feels like home in 192/24. That's it.

Provenance.... not mentioned, other than which label it came from. Fail. This is no better than any other online store.

This is a simple decision, I am voting with my wallet, and won't bother with Technics Tracks. Adios.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

That confirms my observation, Qobuz is usually among the cheapest.

If you throw in classical, you can sometimes find even better prices at Eclassical or Presto Classical, or even at the label's/orchestra's own site (Hyperion, BSO, etc. etc.).

+1. I would add that Qobuz and eClassical both offer pristine customer service, a remark that in my experience only partly applies to HDtracks and not to ProStudioMasters.

Sorry, but the problem is your PC or something else in your environment, and not Firefox. I use Firefox on about 5 different PCs, with different ISPs, and this doesn't happen with any of them. Sounds like you have some hidden malware or other problem specific to your situation.

+1. I would add that Qobuz and eClassical both offer pristine customer service, a remark that in my experience only partly applies to HDtracks and not to ProStudioMasters.

Just to be fair, I've gotten great customer service from ProStudioMasters.