IGNORED

Earth to Hifi Industry: Get on board Spotify

Spotify Founder/CEO Daniel Ek: 'We Need to Do a Better Job Explaining to Artists How Streaming Benefits Them' | Billboard

Do it.

Do it NOW

All of you.

Stop being so "US centric.."

This guy is the next Steve Jobs.

Spotify will become the next itunes.

Wait on.. It already *is* the next itunes...

(Look how old the CEO is.. he has just had his second baby!) :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

One Direction Hits One Billion Plays on Spotify | Billboard

Top artists in the Billions of streams...

This pretty much says it all really..

GET ON BOARD!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ok.

And your point is???

Spotify Founder/CEO Daniel Ek: 'We Need to Do a Better Job Explaining to Artists How Streaming Benefits Them' | Billboard

Do it.

Do it NOW

All of you.

Stop being so "US centric.."

This guy is the next Steve Jobs.

Spotify will become the next itunes.

Wait on.. It already *is* the next itunes...

(Look how old the CEO is.. he has just had his second baby!) :)

Don't you think that Spotify sounds VERY mediocre, even the so-called "premium" service?

George

Don't you think that Spotify sounds VERY mediocre, even the so-called "premium" service?

When the songs don't end in a burst of static (oops), or have CD skipping (oops), or seem to have randomly dropped in quality when making it onto a compilation album, then they actually sound very good, and hard to tell apart from the CD or hi rez version.

But I dunno, maybe my system is not resolving enough, or my ears are not trained enough, or my DACs don't cost enough to be able to tell.

When the songs don't end in a burst of static (oops), or have CD skipping (oops), or seem to have randomly dropped in quality when making it onto a compilation album, then they actually sound very good, and hard to tell apart from the CD or hi rez version.

But I dunno, maybe my system is not resolving enough, or my ears are not trained enough, or my DACs don't cost enough to be able to tell.

It's that wimpy USB cable you bought for less than $10,000 :)

As for Spotify, I'm all for it as long as the artists get fair pay - which doesn't seem to be the business of the streaming service model.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Perhaps it's because I've experienced really bad streaming audio for years, I think Spotify's sound quality is impressive. It's not flac off my NAS but it's 85% of it without the hassle of collecting, ripping, storing etc.

I signed up for their free premium service trial, which promised better sound. And perhaps it was better than the standard service, but when I A-B compared a Spotify premium cut with the same cut from my own CD player, there was absolutely no ambiguity as to which sounded better - and it wasn't Spotify!

George

LOL guys. Did you actually get what was behind my OP?

The meaning wasn't *that* cryptic was it?

You all know what a billion means here right?

It's 1,000,000,000 track "plays" (or streams) .... of (one) artist.

That's ONE artist.

And they aren't even on top...

Spotify *is* the industry now.

So the hardware "player" manufacturers (which basically means everyone: because we all need the streamers) and all the software players (which basically means everyone) as well) need to *all* get on board.

Including JRiver (LOL)

I signed up for their free premium service trial, which promised better sound. And perhaps it was better than the standard service, but when I A-B compared a Spotify premium cut with the same cut from my own CD player, there was absolutely no ambiguity as to which sounded better - and it wasn't Spotify!

You did remember to enable the "extreme quality" playback mode?

Sometimes a spotify (or sony music unlimited) track will just be a dud. For example, I have had that happen even with tracks from Linn and Chesky. It's like "WTF is wrong with this track?!?" Even the stereo imaging is off. I don't know why that happens. Most of the time, the tracks sound as good as 320 kbps lossy is going to sound. Which is pretty good these days.

Spotify *is* the industry now.

So the hardware "player" manufacturers (which basically means everyone: because we all need the streamers) and all the software players (which basically means everyone) as well) need to *all* get on board.

Including JRiver (LOL)

"(which basically means everyone: because we all need the streamers)" - Umm, no we don't. I'm not following the relentless push for this?

My rig

Try this test. Look up Orion by Rodrigo y Gabriela. If the opening doesn't make you turn around half expecting to find a real percussionist sneaking up on you, then it's probably your set up not Spotify that's letting you down.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

no he is not ... he's actually a much bigger ... bullshiter

Guess I forgot somethin ... spotify and their ceo are actually bullshitshitters.

Theyre already acting like a bull.

The quality if often shit (that is, if/when it works)

And the second shit is what artists get paid.

And I'm not even gonna say anything about their atrociously anti privacy data gathering and analytics...cause ppl just dont wanna hear about that.

You did remember to enable the "extreme quality" playback mode?

Sometimes a spotify (or sony music unlimited) track will just be a dud. For example, I have had that happen even with tracks from Linn and Chesky. It's like "WTF is wrong with this track?!?" Even the stereo imaging is off. I don't know why that happens. Most of the time, the tracks sound as good as 320 kbps lossy is going to sound. Which is pretty good these days.

Oh, yes. I did remember to do that! And I agree that with Premium and "Extreme Quality" enabled, Spotify sounds at least as good as a good streaming Internet radio station (like WCRB in Boston), but it still can't come within a country mile of a decent CD on a good CD player (IMHO, of course)! :)

George

For those who aren't happy with the quality of Spotify, there is Qobuz, which offers 16/44.1 quality. It sounds good to my ears.

Not sure in which countries it is available. The subscription fee is a bit high for my liking, but if you can be bothered to create a new e-mail address every 2 weeks then you can have unlimited trials of it. :-)

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

it still can't come within a country mile of a decent CD on a good CD player (IMHO, of course)! :)

I dropped Spotify after the first month, but I found the sound quality almost indistinguishable from redbook. The country mile exaggeration is exactly why such claims invite hydrogen ridicule.