IGNORED

eClassical Christmas Calendar 2014

I checked out the Vivaldi Cello Concertos and it looks like I got it last year at the eclassical Christmas 1/2 price sale. Same with the Faust Bach Sonatas and Partitas. So it looks like some of the albums they are offering this year were offered last year. My collection is large enough that I sometimes will buy something I already have (I'm sure no one else has done that!)

Larry

Nope! Never ever. No idea what you're talking about… ;)

On Gubaidulina I'm not going to comment, I have the same problem with her than with most of contemporary classical music, but that is just my conservative simple mind.

Your hipster cred just took a serious hit. I don't always like Gulbaidulina, but I like some of her work very much, and at USD 6 and change it's a risk worth taking.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

...and you know how jealously Musicophile guards his hipster cred. ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Your hipster cred just took a serious hit. I don't always like Gulbaidulina, but I like some of her work very much, and at USD 6 and change it's a risk worth taking.

I've been called a lot of things, hipster wasn't one of them yet...

I like classical music from the 16th to the 19th century, which covers quite a large territory.

I'm happy to admit I'm not a big fan of what happened to classical music since some guys in Vienna decided in the early 20th century tonality wasn't needed any more. There're so much more you can do with music without leaving tonality.

Luckily just about the same time classical music went down the drain (not judging about quality, just to my simple ears) Jazz started to develop, so all is well...

Sorry for the little OT.

Back to topic: today a really highly recommended album: Bachs Orchestral Suites played by the Freiburger Barockorchester.

To me, my absolutely favorite version of these popular works. Go for it!

I'm not a big expert on Rachmaninov's symphonies, usually I just go to my Decca box with Ashkenazy, but probably less than once per year.

No idea if the Singapore Symphony Orchestra is any good.

Back to topic: today a really highly recommended album: Bachs Orchestral Suites played by the Freiburger Barockorchester.

To me, my absolutely favorite version of these popular works. Go for it!

I'll want to have a listen. Usually I would prefer anything by Jordi Savall as I am, frankly, a huge fan of nearly anything he does. However, the Orchestral Suites is one of the few Savall recordings in which I've ever been even slightly disappointed. (Other folks like it, so this is just personal taste.) So I'm still searching for a favorite and appreciate your recommendation.

David had asked upthread about the other album that was on special a few days ago alongside the Anonymous Four Hildegard von Bingen offering, Airs and Graces - Scottish Tunes and London Sonatas . Unfortunately no longer on sale, but I can say I liked the samples enough to purchase, and will let you know when I've had a chance to listen to more of it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I thought I could skip today's offering as I already have Fasolis', Savall's and Vegh's recordings of Bach's orchestral suites, but now I am wondering...

Give the free samples a try.

I have Fasolis and Savall as well (plus probably at least 5 others), both are very good, so it's not night and day compared to them, but the Freiburger really is my go-to version (I was really disappointed when their more recent recording of the Brandenburg's wasn't nearly as good).

J.S. Bach: Ouvertüren - Freiburger Barockorchester,Gottfried von der Goltz,Petra Müllejans | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Give the free samples a try.

I have Fasolis and Savall as well (plus probably at least 5 others), both are very good, so it's not night and day compared to them, but the Freiburger really is my go-to version (I was really disappointed when their more recent recording of the Brandenburg's wasn't nearly as good).

J.S. Bach: Ouvertüren - Freiburger Barockorchester,Gottfried von der Goltz,Petra Müllejans | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

I have those plus the Suzuki as well, and have followed your advice for the simple fact that I'm not entirely satisfied with any of the ones I have. They all seem to have an agenda (Suzuki HIP and metronomic to the point where I lose track which Overture or Suite I'm listening to, Fasolis Italianate fun - including especially the ornamentations - but again, too driven - to me anyway - to listen to all four in one go, although neither is breathless or frenzied, which would seem to leave me with the Savall, where, if I play this back to back with e.g. his admittedly wonderful Marais Alcione, all of a sudden, it all sounds like more of the same as if one had fallen into some sort of groove, at which point I'll start reconsidering older, non-highrez, even monaural versions à la van Beinum in search of variety etc.).

The samples seem to reveal some more of the subtlety, variety and bounce I inevitably seem to be craving for in Bach - so let's see...

(Please excuse the rambling mini-rant....)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

I have those plus the Suzuki as well, and have followed your advice for the simple fact that I'm not entirely satisfied with any of the ones I have. They all seem to have an agenda (Suzuki HIP and metronomic to the point where I lose track which Overture or Suite I'm listening to, Fasolis Italianate fun - including especially the ornamentations - but again, too driven - to me anyway - to listen to all four in one go, although neither is breathless or frenzied, which would seem to leave me with the Savall, where, if I play this back to back with e.g. his admittedly wonderful Marais Alcione, all of a sudden, it all sounds like more of the same as if one had fallen into some sort of groove, at which point I'll start reconsidering older, non-highrez, even monaural versions à la van Beinum in search of variety etc.).

The samples seem to reveal some more of the subtlety, variety and bounce I inevitably seem to be craving for in Bach - so let's see...

(Please excuse the rambling mini-rant....)

Nice summary, I can sign all of the above comments (and much better than I could have written). Hope you'll like the Freiburger as much as I do.

Again this one was offered in 2013 for half price. Got it then. Nice album.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Just when I was close to clicking the "Buy" button, I realised that I bought the Freiburgers' recording of Bach's Overtures from Qobuz when they came out in high res on the site. Perhaps I should listen to them again...

Doesn't sound like they left a lasting impression :-)

But overall, it seems like there's a sufficiently large bunch of us buying the same recording over and over again, and not always with different masterings...

Joke apart, today's selection is a mixed bag, I think we already agreed previously that the Brautigam Beethoven concerto cycle is not the best out there (unlike his excellent sonatas), however, I suspect the new Stile Antico to be excellent as usual.

Does anybody have it already and can comment? And given it's availability on NativeDSD, this looks again like it's native format is DSD so if you have a DSD dac you may want to go for that version (that said, at $9.58 special offer for 24/96 vs. $23.24 for DSD you better have a good DSD dac....)

Doesn't sound like they left a lasting impression :-)

But overall, it seems like there's a sufficiently large bunch of us buying the same recording over and over again, and not always with different masterings...

Joke apart, today's selection is a mixed bag, I think we already agreed previously that the Brautigam Beethoven concerto cycle is not the best out there (unlike his excellent sonatas), however, I suspect the new Stile Antico to be excellent as usual.

Does anybody have it already and can comment? And given it's availability on NativeDSD, this looks again like it's native format is DSD so if you have a DSD dac you may want to go for that version (that said, at $9.58 special offer for 24/96 vs. $23.24 for DSD you better have a good DSD dac....)

Sorry I do no know this album (and don't care much for Brautigam)! Also, I realize you already know this, just going into more detail as it may be of help to others:

One of the great features at eClassical is that one can peruse the booklet prior to ordering. It does say there, Page 10 bottom right: "Recorded, edited and mastered in DSD."

Ironically, the sampling rate given alongside the album (where it says "Orig. sample rate") isn't always correct (as in this case). In general, however, few HM recordings, and even fewer BIS recordings are native DSD (or, as in the case of e.g. the Paniagua La Spagna, analogue-to-DSD transfers). Alternatively, check here:

SA-CD.net - From the Imperial Court - Stile Antico

(Although, exceptionally, it's only mentioned in the review, and not under recording info.)

I personally tend to follow the rule that if a recording is important enough for me to shell out my hard-earned dough buying it, I want it in the format it was recorded in (in other words, whenever possible, I'll avoid conversions).

Sorry I do no know this album (and don't care much for Brautigam)! Also, I realize you already know this, just going into more detail as it may be of help to others:

One of the great features at eClassical is that one can peruse the booklet prior to ordering. It does say there, Page 10 bottom right: "Recorded, edited and mastered in DSD."

Ironically, the sampling rate given alongside the album (where it says "Orig. sample rate") isn't always correct (as in this case). In general, however, few HM recordings, and even fewer BIS recordings are native DSD (or, as in the case of e.g. the Paniagua La Spagna, analogue-to-DSD transfers). Alternatively, check here:

SA-CD.net - From the Imperial Court - Stile Antico

(Although, exceptionally, it's only mentioned in the review, and not under recording info.)

I personally tend to follow the rule that if a recording is important enough for me to shell out my hard-earned dough buying it, I want it in the format it was recorded in (in other words, whenever possible, I'll avoid conversions).

Thanks, helpful. Did you already have time to check out the Freiburger recording?

Thanks, helpful. Did you already have time to check out the Freiburger recording?

Excerpts only. My own mini-rant last night made me re-listen to "old" stuff like Karl Richter etc. - LOL!

(I may be an audiophile, including one who built audiophile gear for years, but keep seeing myself primarily as music lover.)

Any views on the Mozart quartets on sale today?

I just listened to the first movement of the Quartet in E-Flat. It is very good. The style of playing is pretty much HIP, but played on modern instruments with wound strings, so the combination can make for a very penetrating sound. It's a matter of taste, but I like it.

Also noted, today the other item on sale is a very good performance of my favorite of all Tchaikovsky's works, the Serenade for Strings. I've already got too many recordings of Symphony #4, but not of it.

Also noted, today the other item on sale is a very good performance of my favorite of all Tchaikovsky's works, the Serenade for Strings. I've already got too many recordings of Symphony #4, but not of it.

Yes, Järvi for Tchaikovsky is great. His version of symphony no. 5 is my absolute favorite.

The good news with Classical is that if you want only the serenade for strings, you can buy it separately, as you can buy individual tracks.

Yes, Järvi for Tchaikovsky is great. His version of symphony no. 5 is my absolute favorite.

The good news with Classical is that if you want only the serenade for strings, you can buy it separately, as you can buy individual tracks.

Have you heard his 4th? I couldn't find any good reviews about it. Composers 4th is kind of the staple of his repertoire, but could be boring - sooooo long. What is your recommendation?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Have you heard his 4th? I couldn't find any good reviews about it. Composers 4th is kind of the staple of his repertoire, but could be boring - sooooo long. What is your recommendation?

Actually, to be fair I barely listen to any other Tchaikovsky symphony except for the 5th. The rest indeed is not really what motivates me enough.

Today, another must have out there: Isabelle Faust's Berg and Beethoven concertos. Very highly recommended if you don't have it yet for both composers, even more for the Berg:

BEETHOVEN Violin Concerto, Op 61 BERG Violin Concerto | gramophone.co.uk

On the Dvorak, Dausgaard is a rather controversial conductor, he likes extremes. I usually like what he does, but you should check out the samples before buying.

I won't be buying, as I have had the 9th in too heavy rotation when I was younger and am kind of oversaturated with the work.

Actually, to be fair I barely listen to any other Tchaikovsky symphony except for the 5th. The rest indeed is not really what motivates me enough.

Today, another must have out there: Isabelle Faust's Berg and Beethoven concertos. Very highly recommended if you don't have it yet for both composers, even more for the Berg:

BEETHOVEN Violin Concerto, Op 61 BERG Violin Concerto | gramophone.co.uk

On the Dvorak, Dausgaard is a rather controversial conductor, he likes extremes. I usually like what he does, but you should check out the samples before buying.

I won't be buying, as I have had the 9th in too heavy rotation when I was younger and am kind of oversaturated with the work.

Yes, I didn't buy Jarvi. For Faust I have this album already in redbook. Don't think if 24/44 will be better sounding and worth to get it again?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Yes, I didn't buy Jarvi. For Faust I have this album already in redbook. Don't think if 24/44 will be better sounding and worth to get it again?

On my system, the difference is significant, depends on whether an album is very close to one´s heart, I guess.

(I listened to it a few times when I first got it last year or so, but forgot about it since then.)