IGNORED

eClassical Christmas Calendar 2014

All,

Thought I would kick off this thread for those not previously aware of this yearly occurrence at eClassical.

For the next 24 days, two 24-bit albums- one from Harmonia Mundi, one from BIS- will be posted at a 50% discount. If you miss it on the first day, it will still be available for 25% on the second day. On the third day, it goes back to full price. Here is the top-level page: eClassical

Today's two albums are:

Harmonia Mundi: Che Puro Ciel: The Rise of Classical Opera

BIS: Beethoven – Piano Concertos Nos 1 & 3 (Ronald Brautigam; Norrköping Symphony Orchestra)

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

All,

Thought I would kick off this thread for those not previously aware of this yearly occurrence at eClassical.

For the next 24 days, two 24-bit albums- one from Harmonia Mundi, one from BIS- will be posted at a 50% discount. If you miss it on the first day, it will still be available for 25% on the second day. On the third day, it goes back to full price. Here is the top-level page: eClassical

Today's two albums are:

Harmonia Mundi: Che Puro Ciel: The Rise of Classical Opera

BIS: Beethoven – Piano Concertos Nos 1 & 3 (Ronald Brautigam; Norrköping Symphony Orchestra)

Both are really good.

I'd be a bit more careful on the Harmonia Mundi, while Bejun Mehta is excellent, Gluck may not be everybody's cup of tea. But the Beethoven are really nice, if you like Fortepiano.

Both are really good.

But the Beethoven are really nice, if you like Fortepiano.

I am tempted, especially as the price is very low with the 50% discount. However, because I already have many versions of these concertos, for me part of Brautigam's attraction is his choice of instruments, but in this case he seems to have gone for a rather conventional modern Steinway (see Page 2 of the leaflet http://www.eclassical.com/shop/art57/BIS-SACD-1692_booklet.pdf-841803.pdf). Another consideration that leaves me undecided is the Amazon.co.uk reviews that say that the orchestral accompaniment is average.

I am tempted, especially as the price is very low with the 50% discount. However, because I already have many versions of these concertos, for me part of Brautigam's attraction is his choice of instruments, but in this case he seems to have gone for a rather conventional modern Steinway (see Page 2 of the leaflet http://www.eclassical.com/shop/art57/BIS-SACD-1692_booklet.pdf-841803.pdf). Another consideration that leaves me undecided is the Amazon.co.uk reviews that say that the orchestral accompaniment is average.

Oops, you're right, I was mixing up in my head the Levin Gardiner concertos and Brautigam's excellent piano sonata cycle (on fortepiano this one). Please disregard my comment above!

Today's special from Harmonia Mundi is superb: Beethoven's Diabelli Variations played by Paul Lewis.

I'm not always a fan of Paul Lewis, but I think this performance is extraordinarily expressive and nuanced.

(Warning for classical music novices — the Diabelli Var is somewhat esoteric, so you should acquire Beethoven's piano sonatas before venturing into this.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Today's special from Harmonia Mundi is superb: Beethoven's Diabelli Variations played by Paul Lewis.

I'm not always a fan of Paul Lewis, but I think this performance is extraordinarily expressive and nuanced.

(Warning for classical music novices — the Diabelli Var is somewhat esoteric, so you should acquire Beethoven's piano sonatas before venturing into this.)

Thanks for the recommendation. I got it.

For years I disliked the Diabellis because I only had one recording, Pollini's, whom I find boring in this piece. Then I stumbled across Staier's recording, and since then I have been piling up different versions. I am now anxious to get a time slot to listen to this new acquisition...

We heard Paul Lewis, playing Pictures at an Exhibition, last year in Berkeley. We were quite impressed. I'll be getting his Diabelli Variations today. Speaking of versions of the Diabelli Variations, we heard Mitsuko Uchida in one of her rare SF Bay area performances earlier this year. Spectacularly musical as usual. She played the Diabelli Variations and I immediately contacted my Decca friends (she is now a Decca artist, since Universal is no longer using the Philips label) recommending that she record the Diabelli. They checked and said it was on the schedule. Almost certainly CD only. - may have been recorded this past summer.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

we heard Mitsuko Uchida in one of her rare SF Bay area performances earlier this year. Spectacularly musical as usual. She played the Diabelli Variations and I immediately contacted my Decca friends (she is now a Decca artist, since Universal is no longer using the Philips label) recommending that she record the Diabelli. They checked and said it was on the schedule. Almost certainly CD only.

Her latest Schumann recording is available as a 24/96 download. Fantastic performance. (Although the sound is a bit peculiar, making it sound as if she were overpedaling, which I'm sure she was not.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Lewis' complete Beethoven sonatas are worth owning.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Today CPE's Bach Magnificat, an outstanding album reviewed by Boris here:

Viewing Review: CPE Bach: Magnificat, Heilig ist Gott, HC Rademann, 24bit 48kHz - Computer Audiophile

And I agree 100% with his review. Go get it!

And Schumann 1 by Dausgaard. His style is not everybody's taste, however, I very much like it. Recommended, but try the samples first.

Today's offering is terrific with Tchaikovsky's violin concerto by Vadim Gluzman and Boccherini's Night Music for the Streets of Madrid by Cuarteto Casals.

I have both albums and can vouch for them.

Actually, I took advantage of the offer to buy Boccherini's Night Music once more, so as to upgrade from my current CD to 24-bit sound. It will give me another test of whether 24 bits bring more than 16 bits. This was definitely the case in a recent test that I conducted after buying Bach's Motets by Gardiner a second time from Qobuz in 24 bits after buying them from Gardiner's website in 16 bits.

Today's offering is terrific with Tchaikovsky's violin concerto by Vadim Gluzman and Boccherini's Night Music for the Streets of Madrid by Cuarteto Casals.

I have both albums and can vouch for them.

Actually, I took advantage of the offer to buy Boccherini's Night Music once more, so as to upgrade from my current CD to 24-bit sound. It will give me another test of whether 24 bits bring more than 16 bits. This was definitely the case in a recent test that I conducted after buying Bach's Motets by Gardiner a second time from Qobuz in 24 bits after buying them from Gardiner's website in 16 bits.

+1 for Boccherini. Just bought it in 24/44 and sounds excellent as usually from HM label. For Vadim I have his Bruch album and to me it is outstanding, so this one might be also superb.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Today they offer Yevgeny Sudbin's recording of Tchaikovsky's and Medtner piano concertos. I have got this one in higher-res, and I am not so hot about it. It is fine, but there is a mountain of recordings of Tchaikovsky's (1st) piano concerto, and this one is just too "run-of-the-mill" to be on top of this mountain with Horowitz, Argerich and Van Cliburn.

Today they offer Yevgeny Sudbin's recording of Tchaikovsky's and Medtner piano concertos. I have got this one in higher-res, and I am not so hot about it. It is fine, but there is a mountain of recordings of Tchaikovsky's (1st) piano concerto, and this one is just too "run-of-the-mill" to be on top of this mountain with Horowitz, Argerich and Van Cliburn.

However, the Matthias Goerne album, the last one of his Schubert lieder cycle, is highly recommended, and very well recorded.

Today I am tempted by the Beethoven trios by Melnikov, Faust and Queyras. Any views on this recording in terms of interpretation and sonics?

Do you like mature Beethoven played in HIP style?

Do you like mature Beethoven played in HIP style?

I very much like late Beethoven, but HIP style most of the time leaves me cold for music of the classical and romantic periods (while I like HIP playing very much for baroque and earlier music). Therefore, I am sitting on the fence for this one.

I very much like late Beethoven, but HIP style most of the time leaves me cold for music of the classical and romantic periods (while I like HIP playing very much for baroque and earlier music). Therefore, I am sitting on the fence for this one.

If it's not to late, go for it. A really great recording.

Today eClassical is offering two installments of re-arranged music.

Bethoven's violin concerto played on the piano

4440464-origpic-332512.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

Bach pieces orchestrated by Mozart:

4839768-origpic-7ab495.png_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.png

I considered buying each of them when they came out, but finally did not as I had doubt about whether these arrangements made much sense and was not willing to pay to check it out. However, now that the price has been halved, I am seriously considering getting them.

Dear friends, I would be grateful for any views about what these recordings are worth if you have listened to them.

Today eClassical is offering two installments of re-arranged music.

Bethoven's violin concerto played on the piano

4440464-origpic-332512.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

Bach pieces orchestrated by Mozart:

4839768-origpic-7ab495.png_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.png

I considered buying each of them when they came out, but finally did not as I had doubt about whether these arrangements made much sense and was not willing to pay to check it out. However, now that the price has been halved, I am seriously considering getting them.

Dear friends, I would be grateful for any views about what these recordings are worth if you have listened to them.

Personally, I'd definitely skip no. 1. I was never really interested in transcriptions (with the exception of Bach's own).

The Mozart is more a special interest album. I've heard it at a friend's place and didn't consider the music to be of a lot of interest beyond a more academic point of view. As usual with the Akamus it is well played though.

Today I am tempted by the Beethoven trios by Melnikov, Faust and Queyras. Any views on this recording in terms of interpretation and sonics?

The Melnikov-Faust-Queyras in 24/96 was almost too perfectly played for me, from the sound of the samples. I like a little more of a reminder that there are people behind the instruments. So I picked up a different selection of Beethoven trios (24/44.1 - I think we can rely on BIS for a good recording) by the Kempf Trio. No longer half off, but still on sale: eClassical - Beethoven - Piano Trios Op.1 & 97

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.