IGNORED

'burn in' for solid state components

eco_bach

I'm putting tire warmers on my amps, to speed up burn-in :)

Sorry to disappoint you, but tire warmers won't speed up burn-in in the least. However, they may give you a better grip on the music. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

While there is a huge difference between tube equipment and solid state is this regard, many report that components in solid state equipment may take several hours to reach optimum operating temperature and SQ, recommending the equipment be left on at all times. While the difference in SQ is slight, it is audible. OTOH, tube equipment can sound absolutely awful before it has reached operating temperature.

The owner's manual for my (Class A) solid state amp says not to leave it on, as it reaches optimum operating temperature very quickly. Perhaps these recommendations vary per manufacturer, per class of amp, etc.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I burned my Parasound amp in in 25 seconds with a

Propane heater from a distance of 10 feet.

The soundstage was expanded, the clarity on the top end increased and the bass became more defined. Punchier.

I wasn't that happy prior to this drastic step with the Propane heater Now I'm ecstatic.

You are lucky that you aren't in Heaven, or perhaps down below with Satan . (lol)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The owner's manual for my (Class A) solid state amp says not to leave it on, as it reaches optimum operating temperature very quickly. Perhaps these recommendations vary per manufacturer, per class of amp, etc.

That may very well be the case. As you know, solid state Class A amps get very hot and that alone may be reason to turn them off when not in use. OTOH, they could reduce heating bills during the winter. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I burned my Parasound amp in in 25 seconds with a

Propane heater from a distance of 10 feet.

The soundstage was expanded, the clarity on the top end increased and the bass became more defined. Punchier.

I wasn't that happy prior to this drastic step with the Propane heater Now I'm ecstatic.

And I'll bet the music emerges from a really black background.

That may very well be the case. As you know, solid state Class A amps get very hot and that alone may be reason to turn them off when not in use. OTOH, they could reduce heating bills during the winter. :)

Allan

My own DIY 15W/Ch. Class A Amplifier dissipates a smidgin under 100W, which is good enough to keep my cat happy in winter when she sits on top of it, but it's hardly a room warmer.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Allan

My own DIY 15W/Ch. Class A Amplifier dissipates a smidgin under 100W, which is good enough to keep my cat happy in winter when she sits on top of it, but it's hardly a room warmer.

Kind Regards

Alex

That's good to hear, Alex. OTOH, if it was a high output power Class A amp, I don't think your cat would be nearly as happy.

That's good to hear, Alex. OTOH, if it was a high output power Class A amp, I don't think your cat would be nearly as happy.

I had a cat that would sleep on top of a bare, burning hot radiator in my NYC apartment. I mean, really, it was too hot too touch with your hand for more than a second or two. Don't know how she did it.

It was some hot pussy

I think I hear banjos in the background... :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

If burn-in is real, I would expect the typical audio dealer to charge extra for this service, rather than discounting a demo item.

You mean like car dealers charging more for demos than for new cars because the engines are already broken in? Give your head a shake!

If burn-in is real, I would expect the typical audio dealer to charge extra for this service, rather than discounting a demo item.

Some do

Cable Burn-In Service : About Burn-in Cables on Burn-in When you...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

You mean like car dealers charging more for demos than for new cars because the engines are already broken in? Give your head a shake!

...or charging more for "broken in," and therefore more comfortable, hiking boots?

"Distressed" or acid washed jeans are a counter-example, though, of the market actually supporting higher prices for used or quasi-used goods.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15675[/ATTACH]

These "vintage" Fender guitars are new, made this way in their Custom Shop. Yes, they charge extra for beating the crap out of them before they even leave the factory, so there you are.

That's what happen to me in another thread ¨-)

"Distressed" or acid washed jeans are a counter-example, though, of the market actually supporting higher prices for used or quasi-used goods.

This example and the distressed "vintage" guitars from Fender are "fashion" or "style" items, where price often has little in common with product quality or utility. Rather, they appeal to the buyer's aesthetic sense, taste, or ego.