IGNORED

Streaming DSD and playing thru Marantz SR6009

My goal is to stream multichannel dsf files from my ethernet-connected PC using Foobar2000 with SACD plugin to my Marantz SR6009 AVR. Running into two problems. The Marantz indicates WAV for the dsf files. Also multichannel files only play LF and RF channels. Can someone suggest what might be happening or is it not possible to do this?

I just purchased a QNAP NAS and intend to try using MinimServer. Will I have better luck this way or am I still washed up?

If I am SOL both ways, any better methods to stream my MCH DSD files?

Note that my HDMI-connected SACD player (set to bitstream output) DOES indicate pure DSD playback thru/by the AVR. The AVR's manual state that dsf is a compatible format via ethernet.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

My goal is to stream multichannel dsf files from my ethernet-connected PC using Foobar2000 with SACD plugin to my Marantz SR6009 AVR. Running into two problems. The Marantz indicates WAV for the dsf files. Also multichannel files only play LF and RF channels. Can someone suggest what might be happening or is it not possible to do this?
It is a limitation on the streaming capabilities of the Marantz and is common, so far, to the vast majority of AVRs and prepros. I continue to find it outrageous that such multichannel devices are so constrained with their network and, in most cases, USB inputs.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Cordobaman

If you're certain your AVR is capable of netwok streaming mutichannel dsf files, then why don't you try installing and using MinimServer UPnP media server on the PC, instead of Foobar2000? It supports DSD files without any extra configuration and is much less klunky at setting up than Foobar2000 (to use as an UPnP/DLNA media server).

Slightly worryingly, you didn't mention installing the foo_UPnP plugin required by Fb2k for UPnP/DLNA server duties for network streaming. Also, I'm not sure you even need the SACD plugin for Fb2k, since you don't need the PC to do any actual playback of DSD files, just provide the files for native playback on the AVR. However, I can't be certain as I've never used the foo_UPnP Fb2k UPNP media server for streaming DSD files myself.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Cordobaman

If you're certain your AVR is capable of netwok streaming mutichannel dsf files, then why don't you try installing and using MinimServer UPnP media server on the PC, instead of Foobar2000? It supports DSD files without any extra configuration and is much less klunky at setting up than Foobar2000 (to use as an UPnP/DLNA media server).

Slightly worryingly, you didn't mention installing the foo_UPnP plugin required by Fb2k for UPnP/DLNA server duties for network streaming. Also, I'm not sure you even need the SACD plugin for Fb2k, since you don't need the PC to do any actual playback of DSD files, just provide the files for native playback on the AVR. However, I can't be certain as I've never used the foo_UPnP Fb2k UPNP media server for streaming DSD files myself.

John

John--

Yes, I was using foo_UPnP plugin and able to stream flac, and the dsf files played as WAV.

BUT...Thanks for the suggestion to try Minimserver on the PC. I am now able to stream stereo DSD files to the Marantz, it shows up as DSD 2.8224MHz, and sounds awesome!

NOW the only issue is multichannel. When I try to play a multichannel dsf the Marantz app on my iPhone says "Cannot play file". Any suggestions on a Minimserver configuration that will enable multichannel?

Indeed. The AVR's issue of reporting it can't play a particular type of music file certainly shouldn't have anything to do with configuring MinimServer, since its default setup doesn't do any transcoding, so definitely WYSIWYG.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It is a limitation on the streaming capabilities of the Marantz and is common, so far, to the vast majority of AVRs and prepros. I continue to find it outrageous that such multichannel devices are so constrained with their network and, in most cases, USB inputs.

+1 -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I had a slim-line NR1602 prior to the SR6009, immediate noticeable improvement. The direct DSD is truly wonderful and easily superior to PCM (flac). Also the use of the remote apps on iPhone and Android work much better than on the previous receiver. If they would enable MCH DSD streaming it would be just about perfect for me.

Just as a curiosity I'd love to know what files you and Kal are wanting to stream. By stream I suppose you mean playback over the network rather than pluging a device into the Marantz.
??? I can stream all the files I care about (including MCH DSD) over ethernet to the two renderers (computers configured with JRMC) that I use. Pluging a device into my Marantz is not desirable to me because their limited capacity.

Kal Rubinson

??? I can stream all the files I care about (including MCH DSD) over ethernet to the two renderers (computers configured with JRMC) that I use. Pluging a device into my Marantz is not desirable to me because their limited capacity.

Whoa. I think you took my list the wrong way. I was genuinely interested in what specific music was available for streaming in multi channel format. Sorry for confusion.

David

Whoa. I think you took my list the wrong way. I was genuinely interested in what specific music was available for streaming in multi channel format. Sorry for confusion.
Oh. OK. I have about 4.5Tb of MCH DSD files, mostly classical, from many sources. There are a few threads here about sources for these.

Kal Rubinson

• 4 weeks later...

Sure. Just not gapless. Or via UPnP am I still correct on this?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I have been told that the latest Pioneer AVRs will do this but I cannot confirm that. Same for their new BD players.

Kal, has Pioneer dropped multichannel analog inputs on these latest receivers? Wap

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

So are we still stuck for the perfect multichannel/streaming AVR/player?

Oppo No gapless DSD ??

Marantz No multichannel DSD ??

Pioneer No 5.1 analog inputs... ??

Denon same as Marantz and Pioneer??