IGNORED

Streaming DSD and playing thru Marantz SR6009

Whether it will matter in the long run; but haven't Pioneer's AV division been purchased by Onkyo - so perhaps this will be some of the last "great" Pioneer equipment.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Now you mention Onkyo: they now have a couple AVR's that will stream multichannel DSD (aledgedly).....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Lets get back the basics here.

If you want just pure surround DSD and 24/192 there is the Exasound e28. Get yourself an old multichannel amp off ebay and you'd be sweet. But Where is the gapless multichannel DSD streamer with half decent control software to go with it! Sure there is now Audirvana 2.0 but .......

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Cord...

reading the manual of the new Denon AVR X5200W... it looks like this will do multichannel DSD streaming.. I'm not 100% sure, and if it's gapless...?? because I don't own one..

Also the next model up is coming out soon the X7200W (no manual avail yet?).. but this probably will do the same *and* has 7.1 analog inputs!!!

Cheers Wap

BTW it's not 100% related to surround music but:

There is not a receiver on the market yet with an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 chip (because they haven't been made yet) so buyer beware if you want to double up these as the next 4K integrated experience

DYOR!

Just a thought...

There is not a receiver on the market yet with an HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 chip (because they haven't been made yet) so buyer beware if you want to double up these as the next 4K integrated experience

Unless you have several devices with 4k / HDMI2.0 / HDCP2.2 - you'll probably be able to get around this by using a twin output player - one HDMI direct to the display, the other to the AVR for audio.

Of course if you have twin 4k displays (a LCD and a projector) this causes addition complication and then there is the problem that having two routes to a display have cased with some combinations of devices...

NAD has announced upgrades allowing HDMI2.0 on their new M17 processor and (possibly) backwards compatible with their older MDC devices. Actually I think Onkyo may have announced HDMI2.0 capable AVR ... other than that it might be worth waiting for the next model year.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

^ They are all coming out with HDMI2.0 compatible ports right now..the issue is will they be HDMI2.0 *and* HDCP2.2 compatible..?

The only Receiver right now with an HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 compatible port is the Onkyo. But that is only ONE HDMI port LOL! and is a lower bandwith "fix" ie not true 4K...

But whio cares right? this is an audio forum LOL!

NAD has announced upgrades allowing HDMI2.0 on their new M17 processor and (possibly) backwards compatible with their older MDC devices.

Eloise

Yep.. this is upgradeable with the MDC cards.. but it's like 10K!!! And no DSD.. Might as well just buy a Denon AVRX7200W use it a few years, ebay it, then buy the next one.....

Cord...

reading the manual of the new Denon AVR X5200W... it looks like this will do multichannel DSD streaming.. I'm not 100% sure, and if it's gapless...?? because I don't own one..

Also the next model up is coming out soon the X7200W (no manual avail yet?).. but this probably will do the same *and* has 7.1 analog inputs!!!

Cheers Wap

Just sold a couple of those and neither customer was remotely interested in streaming multi channel audio. As far as DSD? They do not have a clue as to what that is and in fact have no clue about SACDS's. This is Marantz's real customer base for those receivers.

David