IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

Am currently having a nightmare! Deactivated original account and currently can't reactivate it so I opened a new account and would appear to have added an additional letter to the email by mistake. My Mini is now registered to a non existent email address. Hopefully Christian at Auralic will be able to help out. Unbelievable!

Thanks badlyread! I can live with the stupidity but would like my Mini back and functioning ( in my name! ) asap. Hopefully it can all be resolved without too much hassle.

I've done many a stupid thing in haste. You didn't need to deactivate the account, just the beta testing.

Support is very useful for answers. (I know it doesn't help now).

Firstly.......Thank you to Auralic support for helping me out with the account farce.

After a few wrong turns the problem turned out to be a faulty ifi power supply that was powering a Wyred 4 Sound Recovery in my usb chain. This morning I removed the ifi power and replaced it with the sbooster supply for my now disused Regen and the Mini immediately recognised the Brooklyn DAC in outputs again.

So I'm back up and running and everything sounds as sweet as ever which is a great relief. All is well apart from making an arse of myself on here! Later today I think I'll reinstall Beta 7 which had nothing what so ever to do with the problem.

Cheers

Morph

Glad you are all sorted Morph.

How are you finding the Brooklyn? I am really tempted by this. Is it a giant leap up from just using the internal DAC of the Mini? I've heard that it gets rather hot in use (the Mini is warm when using the Auralic LPS), how do you find it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks badlyread.

I rate the Brooklyn highly. Having connected the Mini directly to my system yesterday I can confirm that it is a major step in SQ up from the Mini's internal DAC ( which is no slouch on its own ). That said I am using a TQ Silver Diamond USB with the W4S Recovery - Curious Cable Regen Link and also the ifi iPurifier 2. So there's quite a lot going on USB wise which does not apply when just using the Mini's internal DAC. I find the Brooklyn gets warm rather than hot when in use.

The only other quality DAC I've used is the Chord QuteHD which I had for a few years. The Brooklyn is a far better DAC in my system in my opinion so it's safe to say that I'm delighted with it ( I also got it for a great price on a well known auction site.... which is nice ).

Glad you are all sorted Morph.

How are you finding the Brooklyn? I am really tempted by this. Is it a giant leap up from just using the internal DAC of the Mini? I've heard that it gets rather hot in use (the Mini is warm when using the Auralic LPS), how do you find it?

Thanks in anticipation.

It may be worth keeping an eye on ebay. I can thank Auralic for my well priced Brooklyn. Was looking to see if there was a well priced Aries Femto ( which there wasn't ) and at the end of the page was a ' You may be interested in' notification and there was the Brooklyn. The unit arrived the next day!

Thanks for that Morph. Sounds like I need to save my pennies.

I could use a little networking help here. I made a small change to my network, inserting an HP Procurve 1410 switch into it and now my Aries can't find my Synology NAS drive. I'm sure the answer is something simple, but my network skills are just above the bare minimum needed to be safe.

My prior path was:

Aries>Wireless Router>Synology NAS plugged directly into wireless router

My new path is:

Aries>Wireless Router>HP Procurve 1410 Switch>Synology NAS

Both the Wireless Router and Synology NAS are plugged into the switch.

I'm using Lightning server and smb share, so I expected it would find the NAS with no problem, since both the wireless router and NAS are plugged into the same switch. Every other aspect of my network is working fine, all other devices are working and have found each other no problem, and the Aries can stream internet radio no problem - it just my NAS music library that can't be found. My network expertise just won't get me to the next step.

I did try using the NAS IP address in Lightning DS setup to no avail. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance for any insights you have!

Can you access your NAS from a computer on the network?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I'm wondering if my Aries can't see past the subnet it's on. Unfortunately, the wireless router it's connected to right now can't run in AP only mode. I do have another wireless router that can - I'm going to set that to AP only, connect the Aries to it and connect that AP to the switch. I think this might solve the problem.

****UPDATE****

That did it!

I wonder if some versions of the Aries beta firmware could possibly alter the 'channel balance' in any way? The location of (e.g.) cymbals on a track I use for reference is shifted towards the left channel compared with other streaming sources. I am using the same library source (NAS track). This is very hard to troubleshoot, but to me this artifact is really not subtle....

Hello

I updated to Beta 7 and now the Aries Mini no longer recognises my external DAC. I've rebooted the Mini and DAC several times, disconnected and then reconnected all cables and all I'm getting is the Aries Outputs option. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this corrected please?

I am also using the latest beta and today I had a longish power outage. When my system came back up the Aries was no longer looking at my DAC. It defaulted to its digital output instead of the USB it had been using for a long time.

It threw up the "oops" screen, I had to manually reconnect the Aries to the DAC and all is well again. This didn't happen before. Before this beta if you powered down the Aries it came back up ready to go, so to speak. Anybody else experienced this?

If this is a bug I hope it gets fixed in the next FW version.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

What?

Current Aries owners are not going to dump their hardware for new. However they will want the added features of new software. Do you want Auralic to abandon owners of the "old" model?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I have the Aries Mini for a few months now. It's powered with SBooster psu and I'm using the onboard dac of my Job INTegrated amp. Sounds very good. It's a real big difference compared to my former Pioneer N-30 streamer. But knowing how much difference a streamer makes I'm wondering if the microRendu would sound even better...