IGNORED

Meitner / EMM Labs Firmware Upgrade 7/2014 = Sonic Bliss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, all

For the Emm Labs DAC2X i use now the generic ASIO driver XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver-2023(v2.23.0) because for Windows Server R2 there are NO DRIVER !!!! that's incredible !!!

on the site of EMM Labs there are only ASIO driver for windows 7, old of 2012,

anyone knows a more recent?

By generic ASIO driver, I can not verify the firmware, how and where I can find firmware update?

(there are two types of firmware one that uses USB audio and another that uses usb service)

the Italian dealer does not know anything about it !!!!

• 1 month later...
Despite I am satisfied with the performance of MA-1, I wonder what is the purpose of developing firmware update without allowing the majority of the users to see the benefit of the update. Most will not bother to take or even ship the DAC back to the dealer to have it updated. It is not an excuse to say that the update process is complicated, the programmer should have made it easy.

Your MA-1 firmware should be June 2014, below is the history of firmware for MA-1:

=================================================

note: 25-Nov-2014

- add prescalar fix from XDS1

- add -3dB attenuation for consumer grade

note: 18-June-2014

MDAT2 1st release.

note: 22-May-2014

test build with revised MDAT-2 digital filters.

note: 17-Dec-2013

to solve the boot issue with new MA1 where the unit will seemingly not boot

when not connected to a digital audio source before power up.

note: 17-Oct-2012

installing "A" firmware into a "B" unit, or "B" firmware into a "A" unit, causes

no damage but USB Audio Input will not function correctly and will be noisy. If

the wrong version is installed in error, simply install the correct one.

note: 15-Oct-2012

Whether a unit is A-series or B-series can be determined by its serial-number:

Serial numbers at which the B-series Digital-Input-boards start...

DAC2X 6100

MA1 6300

MA2 6100

XDS1V2 6600

Hi, all

For the Emm Labs DAC2X i use now the generic ASIO driver XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver-2023(v2.23.0) because for Windows Server R2 there are NO DRIVER !!!! that's incredible !!!

on the site of EMM Labs there are only ASIO driver for windows 7, old of 2012,

anyone knows a more recent?

By generic ASIO driver, I can not verify the firmware, how and where I can find firmware update?

(there are two types of firmware one that uses USB audio and another that uses usb service)

the Italian dealer does not know anything about it !!!!

TUSBAudio - Thesycon USB Audio 2.0 Class Driver for Windows

Revision History

-----------------------------------------------------

V2.20.0 (February 24, 2014)

-----------------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have just installed the latest firmware in my MA1. I delayed so long because I was worried that I wouldn't like the new firmware if it represented a significant change to the sound of the MA1.

As it turns out, my concerns were justified, because it does represent a significant change and my first impression is that I don't really like it. It sounds brighter and leaner, trading tonal richness for detail and three-dimensionality. I would like to roll back to the previous driver, however it does not appear to be available.

The serial number of my unit is 65XX. Does anyone know what firmware this would have shipped with, and if it is possible to get a copy of the original firmware?

• 2 weeks later...

A follow-up for anyone who is interested. I rolled back the driver to the pre-MDAT2 December 2013 firmware, and there was an immediate improvement.

The MDAT2 firmware undoubtedly produced benefits in terms of dynamics and imaging; however, it also sounded bright, lean, tonally bleached and strangely lifeless. The 2013 firmware restored the rich, organic sound that I loved about the MA1.

I should add that this is with redbook files only - I don't have any DSD or SACD files.

'still using my original XDS1 (version 1). Were there any significant performance improvements to the v2 before the firmware update? I truly love the sound of my player.

A related question is what would be the best way to use this player as a DAC from a Windows computer, given that it has no USB input for this? (I heard that Toslink is not too good.)

Thanks.

'still using my original XDS1 (version 1). Were there any significant performance improvements to the v2 before the firmware update? I truly love the sound of my player.

A related question is what would be the best way to use this player as a DAC from a Windows computer, given that it has no USB input for this? (I heard that Toslink is not too good.)

Thanks.

Phil Gold first reviewed v1. Then got hardware upgrades to v2. Finally firmware to mdat2:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0115/EMM_Labs_XDS1v2_MDAT2_Reference_Review.htm

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hardware updates to v2 include a USB input supporting PCM up to 24/192 and DSD64 over USB through DoP. This works perfectly.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

If I have EMM upgrade my XDS/v1 to the v2 (mainly to get the USB DAC ability) and I do not like the new firmware sound, can I easily roll-back to the original firmware if I find it too bright like rossb reported in this thread (on 9/5 and 9/16 above)? If rossb could chime in here I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I'm just dealing with EMM and just have the player and never did any updates, so I don't know where I would get any firmware in any version. I guess I should just ask them for it. (I use Stax 009 headphones with it, so I'm a bit paranoid about additional brightness. Right now, it sounds perfect; basically awesome and while I'm curious about the "improvement" I don't want to break what isn't broken.)

If I have EMM upgrade my XDS/v1 to the v2 (mainly to get the USB DAC ability) and I do not like the new firmware sound, can I easily roll-back to the original firmware if I find it too bright like rossb reported in this thread (on 9/5 and 9/16 above)? If rossb could chime in here I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Clearly you should update to v2 (it's more than the usb input). I would say the two sound signatures are from 2013 vs 2014 firmware. Both supported on v2. I prefer 2014.

system pics

Clearly you should update to v2 (it's more than the usb input). I would say the two sound signatures are from 2013 vs 2014 firmware. Both supported on v2. I prefer 2014.

OK, I'm pretty sure I'll do that (my xds1 is from 2011, so I guess it's the pioneer firmware). I've used EMM since the DCC2/CDSD back in 2004 and I thought the xds1/v1 was the ultimate sound, with no chill at all, but I guess it's time to move on.

So it seems that the software is available on the site and you just need to get a password associated w/your serial # from EMM and then you can load it from your PC to the player? And I assume that EMM can mail you an older version in case you want it?

Thanks again.

OK, I'm pretty sure I'll do that (my xds1 is from 2011, so I guess it's the pioneer firmware). I've used EMM since the DCC2/CDSD back in 2004 and I thought the xds1/v1 was the ultimate sound, with no chill at all, but I guess it's time to move on.

So it seems that the software is available on the site and you just need to get a password associated w/your serial # from EMM and then you can load it from your PC to the player? And I assume that EMM can mail you an older version in case you want it?

Thanks again.

No the firmwares are not available on the site. The USB driver is, but you need a password for it. Just email them to figure out how to get the hardware update. They can flash the latest firmware for you then I'm sure - the v2's latest in from Nov 2014 which I think is the best I've heard of all the firmware versions so far.

However, the firmware can be rolled back simply by flashing an older firmware. As of late they are reticent to let end users do this - I understand - but your dealer can do it for you, no need to ship things to Calgary for that.

system pics

Thanks for all that info Miguelito, I appreciate it. Yeah, I've somehow shipped back and forth to Calgary several times over the last 12 years that I've had their gear. They have treated me well over the years and I am hooked on their unique sound. Hopefully they can just flash me things if I want them.

Thanks for all that info Miguelito, I appreciate it. Yeah, I've somehow shipped back and forth to Calgary several times over the last 12 years that I've had their gear. They have treated me well over the years and I am hooked on their unique sound. Hopefully they can just flash me things if I want them.

Yeah you can probably convince them to send you want you need... :)

system pics

Yeah you can probably convince them to send you want you need... :)

Yep, I was assured I could revert to the older software and back again if I liked the sound better one way or the other (remotely w/o moving anything, thank God).

For some reason, the original 1st release of the player just sounds right, full of speed, details and life but w/no chill. But as long as I can undo the change I can satisfy my curiosity about the new sound. So I will see what happens. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my unit back from Calgary after a few weeks. I am very impressed. Everything is more palpable and open and articulate, and from memory, just as relaxed and non-fatiguing. The mids seem more sonorous. I'm not sure if it's all from the firmware or the upgraded power supply I think they gave me for the V2. I'm having a lot of fun with it. So thanks for the people here who recommended this as a must-have. And the bass seems to provide more of a firm foundation, and just as controlled.

I have not tried it as a DAC yet, but I'll get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I reverted back to the Nov. 6 2013 firmware and it's the sound I know and love, with a touch of humidity, uncanny realism, and no fear of glare from vocals or any stark sound. I'm happy. As a bonus, the bass seems deeper and more robust now that I went from the v1 to v2, so the sound is better even with the MDAT1 firmware. Although my old firmware was from 2011, so maybe this is better than my original v1 version. All is well now.

• 2 months later...

Guess it's safe to assume that they are never going to release the promised firmware upgrade for dsd128 and dxd. I have email going back to late 2013 and mid 2015 saying they are working on it. I really don't think it's a 2+ year process to incorporate this into a firmware upgrade.