IGNORED

Meitner / EMM Labs Firmware Upgrade 7/2014 = Sonic Bliss

Still no news on their website on an upgrade. And on the emmlabs website it specifically says that there is NO update for the DAC2x. Maybe they have had second thoughts?

Their Facebook page hails the MDAT2 update for all current players.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Why is my dealer on vacation? Anyone wish to share the MA-1 upgrade for a serial number over 6300? Sigh.

Email EmmLabs with your serial. That's how I got my XDS1v2 upgrade.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Why is my dealer on vacation? Anyone wish to share the MA-1 upgrade for a serial number over 6300? Sigh.

I would love to but Meitner expressly asked me to NOT share what the sent me. And Miguel is right, you should email them directly with your serial number so that they send you exactly what YOU need. And this way if anything goes wrong you can wold them accountable.

Give them a little time to get back to you, then email them again if you need to. I am sure they are getting a lot of requests.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

FYI! Below is a copy of an announcement from EMM/Meitner on their Facebook page for the 2014 Hong Kong High-End Audio Visual Show being held at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre from the 8-10th of August 2014.

"Meitner Audio and EMM Labs are also also extremely excited to show our platform changing MDAT2 DSP updates for all our current DACs.

More than a year in development and 1000s of hours in testing, the new MDAT2 DSP update brings all of our current DACs to that next level of audio performance. Accuracy, transparency, soundstage and low level detail all greatly enhanced and refined. This free and large update for all our current DACs provides the listener an even more immersive experience and further brings the music to life."

Maybe the update will be posted on their web site by the time the show starts or is over.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

EMM has "sort of" made an announcement regarding their MDAT2 DSP firmware update on their Facebook site as mentioned above. I believe the firmware has been finalized and is being formally distributed to customers via their dealer network.

As mentioned by others, this firmware update doesn't include support for DSD128 or DXD but supposedly this is planned for later this year and yes, EMMs technology does have this capability.

I inquired as to whether they will be making a more formal announcement to the audio industry in addition to providing more details regarding the firmware update and hopefully this is in their plans.

Maybe the update is not 100% ready, I am hoping they will include DSD128 before release. I will wait upgrading until it is official. I think the hardware can do DSD128 if I am correct.

FYI!

The firmware updates are specific to products they are for. You must not use MA-1 firmware to update a DAC2X for example. The MDAT2 DSP update is for all current products that have a DAC.

Also it is my understanding that the updates should be posted on the web sites AROUND the 15-18 of August, hopefully.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

More impressions from my XDS1v2 (as a DAC): MDAT2 is simply amazing. PCM in particular is more natural, deeper, more organic. Truly amazing.

system pics

Upgraded last night, and, indeed, I share your impressions, hifial, especially w regard to separation of instruments and better highs. I have still some more listening to do to get a more firm grip on the changes. Amazing that sw can make such a difference.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Press Release!!

More than a year in development and testing, EMM Labs and Meitner Audio is proud to announce the release of our MDAT2 DSP update that will take all our current DAC platforms (DAC2X, XDS1 V2, MA-1, MA-2) to that next level in audio performance.

MDAT is our high performance multi-award winning DSP engine. It takes all digital audio (PCM and DSD) and does real-time transient filtering and up-conversion to 2xDSD (5.6Mhz/6.1Mhz) before being sent to Ed`s proprietary custom made 2xDSD (5.6Mhz/6.1Mhz) DACs (MDAC modules) for conversion to analog.

With MDAT processing, there is no pre and post ringing (please see MDAT .JPG diagram), which is why MDAT unlike any other processing technology is unique in its ability to preserve the phase, frequency and dynamic integrity of the waveform.

In MDAT2 we have built an improved new DSP engine with:

· Increased sonic detail from all digital audio streams (PCM and DSD) using new high-resolution algorithms

· Time and frequency response filters that are greatly optimized

· A new signal processing engine that is built for very high-precision audio up-sampling (2xDSD up-conversion)

· A new more accurate 2xDSD up-sampling algorithm

Think of it as supercharging your DAC! Accuracy, transparency, soundstage, low level detail all greatly improved and refined. All these improvements providing the listener with a more immersive experience and bringing further all music to life. The best thing is….you will receive this new MDAT2 engine for free!

For those with current EMM Labs (DAC2X, XDS1 V2) or Meitner Audio (MA-1, MA-2) products contact your dealer or distributor to schedule the update being released shortly after the HK Show (middle of August 2014).

MDAT and MDAT2 are both patented. Associated algorithms are patent pending.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

• 3 months later...

Do any current DAC2X owners use a USB to SPDIF converter? I've read multiple criticisms of MA-1's USB implementation (and I believe DAC2X's uses the same?) so I'm wondering if a converter is really necessary. My CAPS variant uses a SoTM USB card with its accompanying battery power supply.

Do any current DAC2X owners use a USB to SPDIF converter? I've read multiple criticisms of MA-1's USB implementation (and I believe DAC2X's uses the same?) so I'm wondering if a converter is really necessary. My CAPS variant uses a SoTM USB card with its accompanying battery power supply.

I use the BADA with my MA-1 and noticed no change in sound compared to the stock USB port.

I use my MA1 via USB only and I had no complaints but despite this I recently purchased the "Decrappifier" from Schitt Audio just for Schitts and Giggles to see if would make any difference. It was only $99 so I figured what the hell. I've spent double that on a case of beer in the past that just goes down the drain within hours anyway :) so I had nothing to lose.

My motivation for buying this "decrapifier" thing was because I too read about people making claims that the USB implementation on the Mietner gear was done in a subpar manor. Personally I think these claims are only being made because of the lack of galvanic isolation but if the grounding is done properly within the chassis this is really not much of an issue. In fact, usng it would limit the available bandwidth of the USB Port which in turn would negate one of the real beauties of the Meitner and that is being able to play all sample rates including DSD via the USB port.

Long story short, the Decrappifier didn't make a big enough difference for me to believe there was an issue to begin with.

Oh, and while I'm here in the Firmware update thread I would like to report that I applied the update also and can confirm what has already been said by the others. It sounds even more wonderful then it did before :)

Got info from Meutner Audio that they are still testing the new update.

Hrrmm...Interesting considering several of us in this thread alone already have it let alone who knows how many out in the wild. Maybe those who have it are the Guinea Pigs and we just don't know it yet.

Either way, I say its ready for prime time so come on Ed "Release the Kraken" :)

I just bought a new MA-1 and it sounds excellent but anyone knows how to check the firmware version? Thanks.

There is no way of knowing without calling Meitner or unless you have personally installed a previous update yourself. They know which version you have.

If you acquire the code thru outside means it puts your device out of sync with the manufacturers records of your device. Not a good place to be with a $7K DAC!

There is no way of knowing without calling Meitner or unless you have personally installed a previous update yourself. They know which version you have.

If you acquire the code thru outside means it puts your device out of sync with the manufacturers records of your device. Not a good place to be with a $7K DAC!

Thanks, but to me I think it is confusing. A few months ago, it was reported in a local magazine here that the Meitner sent someone to Hong Kong to demonstrate the new firmware and it is now said it is still under testing. When I bought the MA-1 last month, I was told by the sales that it is already equipped with the latest firmware. Since I have doubt and therefore raised here the question of whether users can check the version themselves. Further, I wrote to Meitner and was told that my MA-1 has the latest software but a new firmware will be released before XMAS. So I wonder whether or not the local dealer has already updated my MA-1 with the new firmware which is now said to be released. I will find out more with the local dealer shortly.

MetalNuts