IGNORED

Meitner / EMM Labs Firmware Upgrade 7/2014 = Sonic Bliss

It clearly says in the instruction

"Please also note that the B type connector end of the cable must be plugged into the “Service USB” port and

NOT the “USB Audio” port of the MA-1.

I too had an issue the first time i run the Utility tool, there are no other COM ports available in the drop down except COM 1 so i followed the instruction and did a DISCONNECT and then rebooted my laptop and start again with the Utility tool and this time it worked, i was able to select higher COM port.

Things you might need to check:

1. Step 4 in instrictions- make sure your PC or laptop has up to date USB drivers for its USB ports

2. Step 9 in instructions - if using the PC or laptop for the first time in updating MA-1 - install the MA-1 USB firmware driver first. You need to check whether you have standard or 64 bit windows and install appropriate USB firmware driver

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x86.exe” - for standard

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe” - for 64 bit

Hi, where is the instructions? I would like to try again if you can give me the detail where these instructions appear. Below are what I tried:

I have browsed the CD for instructions and the only one I took notice was the manual which provided no guidelines of updating procedure. So I proceeded without any specified instructions .

What I did first is try to install the USB driver from the CD without even connecting the MA-1 with a USB cable and the setup of the driver would not start at all. Then I hooked up the MA-1 with my PC with a USB cable via the service USB. The PC recognised USB device (but not MA-1) and when I tried to installed the USB driver from the CD, it prompted me to get the updated driver from a third party website. After unplugging and plugging, rebooting for a number of times, it still did not work so for the last try before I gave up, i just plug it into the audio usb to see if it recognised the DAC. It worked and I can have the USB driver installed.

I don't know what went wrong with the "service usb" and what's wrong with my MA-1 but since the installation, the MA-1 can play from the USB input though I do not, at least in the meantime, take it seriously in using the USB input.

MetalNuts

When installing the audio driver, I used the normal Audio USB port. When installing the two firmware updates during the time that I owned the MA1, I used the Service USB port ONLY.....per what is specified in the manual. I never had one problem. I can't imagine any kind of success occurring from using the Audio USB port for firmware updates.

That means we did the same thing to install the usb driver via the audio usb. I had not at any point of time said that I installed/upgraded or tried to installed/upgraded the firmware via the audio usb. It is still an unknown to me whether I will be given the firmware by Meitner to have it update myself or I have to take it back to the dealer to do it for me.

It was stated in the magazine in September this year that the firmware update is a complicated process and the Meitner people came here at that occasion to show/teach its agent here of how to perform the process.

MetalNuts

Hi, where is the instructions? I would like to try again if you can give me the detail where these instructions appear. Below are what I tried:

I have browsed the CD for instructions and the only one I took notice was the manual which provided no guidelines of updating procedure. So I proceeded without any specified instructions .

What I did first is try to install the USB driver from the CD without even connecting the MA-1 with a USB cable and the setup of the driver would not start at all. Then I hooked up the MA-1 with my PC with a USB cable via the service USB. The PC recognised USB device (but not MA-1) and when I tried to installed the USB driver from the CD, it prompted me to get the updated driver from a third party website. After unplugging and plugging, rebooting for a number of times, it still did not work so for the last try before I gave up, i just plug it into the audio usb to see if it recognised the DAC. It worked and I can have the USB driver installed.

I don't know what went wrong with the "service usb" and what's wrong with my MA-1 but since the installation, the MA-1 can play from the USB input though I do not, at least in the meantime, take it seriously in using the USB input.

Hi PM me your email address and i'll send you the instruction.

That means we did the same thing to install the usb driver via the audio usb. I had not at any point of time said that I installed/upgraded or tried to installed/upgraded the firmware via the audio usb. It is still an unknown to me whether I will be given the firmware by Meitner to have it update myself or I have to take it back to the dealer to do it for me.

It was stated in the magazine in September this year that the firmware update is a complicated process and the Meitner people came here at that occasion to show/teach its agent here of how to perform the process.

I only made mention of using the Service USB for upgrades only because it appeared there was some question regarding it from others in the thread. I'm not clear why Meitner has apparently decided the procedure is too much of an undertaking for the end user. It was practically a plug n play scenario for myself....and I'm definitely no IT guy. ;)

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Still no new software on the Meitner website, so much for their promise of it being ready for Christmas...

I don't think they will post the new firmware on the website anymore. You have to write to them asking for it. Whether they will give you the link to download is unknown since this update was said to be complicated and they will strongly advise you to take it to the dealer to have it updated.

I have written to them before X'Mas asking about the availability of the new firmware but they have not responded.

MetalNuts

I don't think they will post the new firmware on the website anymore. You have to write to them asking for it. Whether they will give you the link to download is unknown since this update was said to be complicated and they will strongly advise you to take it to the dealer to have it updated.

I have written to them before X'Mas asking about the availability of the new firmware but they have not responded.

I think it will be the same process of updating the firmware....if you have done it before, you should be fine the next time around....the instructions included are very detailed...plus it gives you the option to fallback to the old FW as it is included always with the package of the new FW (just in case you really need to fallback)....

But then again, if you are not comfortable doing it, best to have the dealer do it for you....

1. to check if you have the MA-1 USB firmware driver installed, go to control panel -> Programs and Features and check if you have it, see pic attached. If you have used the PC to update firmware before, it should be there otherwise you need to install it...this driver is supplied by Meitner Audio.....

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x86.exe” - for standard Windows

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe” - for 64 bit Windows

2. Use the Service USB port and NOT the USB audio port of the MA-1

3. Use the tool “MA-1_Update_Utility.exe” to install the FW

4. you need to use the .mcs file depending on the serial number of your unit,

series A - serial 6300 and below

series B - serial 6300 and above

5. select a higher com port in the drop down list

Capture.JPG

I think it will be the same process of updating the firmware....if you have done it before, you should be fine the next time around....the instructions included are very detailed...plus it gives you the option to fallback to the old FW as it is included always with the package of the new FW (just in case you really need to fallback)....

But then again, if you are not comfortable doing it, best to have the dealer do it for you....

1. to check if you have the MA-1 USB firmware driver installed, go to control panel -> Programs and Features and check if you have it, see pic attached. If you have used the PC to update firmware before, it should be there otherwise you need to install it...this driver is supplied by Meitner Audio.....

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x86.exe” - for standard Windows

“CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe” - for 64 bit Windows

2. Use the Service USB port and NOT the USB audio port of the MA-1

3. Use the tool “MA-1_Update_Utility.exe” to install the FW

4. you need to use the .mcs file depending on the serial number of your unit,

series A - serial 6300 and below

series B - serial 6300 and above

5. select a higher com port in the drop down list

Thanks for the very informative guidelines. Still waiting for the reply from Meitner to see whether the firmware is released.

MetalNuts

• 3 weeks later...
Ok keep us updated with your listening, arien888. I have no new software available yet. I have a pre 6200 s/n unit.

Listening to Jack Johnson now via usb input to MA-1, all i can say is that i love what i am hearing....details are overwhelming and bass is so pronounce....i am not good at describing the sound because english is not my first language but i really encourage MA-1 owners to update their unit as soon as it is available for you and you will be the judge of it...

btw, i ripped the CD using Jriver with flac encoding....i actually could not tell the difference playing the CD then through the spdif input of the MA-1 against the Jriver via USB input...

As per the release note for the Nov 2014 firmware:

- add prescalar fix from XDS1

- add -3dB attenuation for consumer grade

go and ask your dealers or Meitner for your FW update links

cheers

cheers

That -3dB attenuation got me wondering, is the output level lower now after upgrade or is it something else they mean? Do you experience a difference in output level?

Is this FW upgrade different from the July 2014 / MDAT2 upgrade?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

That -3dB attenuation got me wondering, is the output level lower now after upgrade or is it something else they mean? Do you experience a difference in output level?

Sorry i do not know that answer to this.......i believe that best way would be to compare an updated MA-1 with a non-updated MA-1 side by side which is not possible in my case...

I don't know if i'm the only ma-1 owner who is slightly upset with the way meitner distributes these firmwares and announces (or doesn't), the updates.

Their web page still shows a 2012 update. There is no news anywhere about the MDAT2 update, if it wasn't for this forum I would have never know about it, and now there is a November firmware update that I cannot find any info on anywhere? Are we supposed to rely on our dealers to email or call us every time there is an update? For the few people above that know about the November update how did you hear about it? I think this is silly that I need to email my dealer and have him email meitner to get the files and then email me back.

Yes

Do you have the release notes?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Yes

For example, can you do DSD128 or higher PCM rates?

system pics

For example, can you do DSD128 or higher PCM rates?

I installed the update yesterday. The answer is no: no new rates are available. EmmLabs says they are working on this.

system pics

They have said they are working on it since the dac was released. My prediction is that it won't happen and a newer dac that supports DSD 2x, 4x and DXD will be released.

I've always said that I very much doubt it's even doable unless you send the player in for a hardware update. But I have no particular knowledge to say this, just that such a change seems to me too extreme to be done on firmware.

Plus the new DAC has already been announced: EMM Labs DA2 | AudioStream

Miguelito, where did you get the new (Novemeber), firmware?

From EmmLabs directly, but they want you to go through your dealer. Having said this, I don't notice a major difference. I already had MDAT2 from the July 2014 update. I could not find release notes in the package so I'm not sure what the changes are frankly. Also, this is for the XDS1v2.

system pics

Do you have the release notes?

Yes i do have the release notes, it was included in the downloaded files from the link provided...

As for the change in this latest firmware, See post #86

Sorry that you did not noticed any difference but then again it depends on the rest of your equipment , how revealing they are....