IGNORED

HQ Player

13 minutes ago, GMG said:

Many have reported that with v5 they are able to achieve higher DSD rates with lower cpu usage. 
for me this is not the case. 
In general With EC modulators I can’t go beyond 256. 

Sorry for my short memory, but what is the OS, CPU and HQPlayer build in question here?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, GMG said:

HQP OS on NUC10-i7 10710U

Generic build ver 5, avx2 

I would suggest to try three combinations.

The avx2 build with multicore="1" and the default multicore="auto"

And also with the regular non-avx2 build with the default multicore="auto"

Remember to "systemctl restart hqplayerd" after manually modifying the configuration file. And see which one of these performs best.

For example on my i5-11600 the avx2 build with multicore="1" performs best. It can do DSD512 with a lot of different filters.

On my lower power older i5-7600T the generic build with multicore="auto" performs best. It can do DSD256 with most of the filters.

The NUC CPU is U-series (ultra-mobile) so it is focused on lowest possible power consumption and thermals. This will impose some limits on what it can do. But above tweaking helps getting most out of it. It is 12.5 - 25 W TDP. Compared to above, i5-7600T is 35W and i5-11600 is 65W... But it is relatively new, so it will perform relatively better than the i5-7600T per watt.

1 hour ago, musicjunkie917 said:

First of all, even different filters or modulators in HQPlayer don't sound "very different"

really? they sure do in my system.  When I change filter or modulator there is usually no question that the sound is different.  I not being picky I was just surprised you don't hear much difference between filter or modulator changes.

3 minutes ago, Quadman said:

really? they sure do in my system.  When I change filter or modulator there is usually no question that the sound is different.

I'm sure he means he can hear differences, but filters are not tone controls.  I don't have 2 filters I think are close enough to say I like both.  They are that different, but no where near as much as V4 and V5 sound WAY different.

That said, I uninstalled both V4 and V5, reinstalled V5 trial, and the sound (from memory now) seems a very familiar V4.  I'm not sure yet, but the bass is definitely different from earlier today.  Maybe an install issue with both versions at the same time?  IDK...

@MiskaAny idea the nominal v5 GPU load with MGa on a 3090? Weirdly I just couldn't get the usage up no matter what settings which prevents my achieving DSD1024 (other than 7EC-light & AMSDM7EC 512+fs), wondering if it's OS related...

My 12900K+3090+Win10

image.thumb.png.408bce331d533d335e58715df3b1cbd7.png

From someone else's 13900K+3090+Win11

image.thumb.png.b3cabe3224de3a60f2fe425b4792c9cb.png

12 minutes ago, jerrytsao said:

@MiskaAny idea the nominal v5 GPU load with MGa on a 3090? Weirdly I just couldn't get the usage up no matter what settings which prevents my achieving DSD1024 (other than 7EC-light & AMSDM7EC 512+fs), wondering if it's OS related...

Windows resource monitor shows completely bogus GPU loads when CUDA is active.

Instead, open command prompt and run "nvidia-smi -l 5" and you get better idea. Although on Windows the information is pretty limited.

But also check that you are using latest Nvidia Studio driver (or Game Ready if you want to also do some gaming). If the driver is too old, CUDA offload falls off - this is Nvidia software stack feature.

@Miska,

I still using HQPlayer embedded thru Euphony V.4 Im trying to use my USB Dongle Key but im not able, ...

I was told that I could insert the USB Dongle on my server and from my Mac mini which I use as remote I could upload the key but I have had no success

Anyone with the same issue ?

Thanks !

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Windows resource monitor shows completely bogus GPU loads when CUDA is active.

Instead, open command prompt and run "nvidia-smi -l 5" and you get better idea. Although on Windows the information is pretty limited.

But also check that you are using latest Nvidia Studio driver (or Game Ready if you want to also do some gaming). If the driver is too old, CUDA offload falls off - this is Nvidia software stack feature.

I checked Nvidia-smi as well, it was around 25-30, more or less in line with CUDA usage on windows resource manager, using the latest driver by the way.

1 hour ago, jerrytsao said:

I checked Nvidia-smi as well, it was around 25-30, more or less in line with CUDA usage on windows resource manager, using the latest driver by the way.

You could try HW Monitor it is free. I find all the information I am looking for with that simple free app. It may no be 100% accurate but it is close to reality. It will display your processor information as well as your gpu info. I find it useful. 

HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

5 hours ago, Miska said:

I would suggest to try three combinations.

The avx2 build with multicore="1" and the default multicore="auto"

And also with the regular non-avx2 build with the default multicore="auto"

Remember to "systemctl restart hqplayerd" after manually modifying the configuration file. And see which one of these performs best.

For example on my i5-11600 the avx2 build with multicore="1" performs best. It can do DSD512 with a lot of different filters.

On my lower power older i5-7600T the generic build with multicore="auto" performs best. It can do DSD256 with most of the filters.

The NUC CPU is U-series (ultra-mobile) so it is focused on lowest possible power consumption and thermals. This will impose some limits on what it can do. But above tweaking helps getting most out of it. It is 12.5 - 25 W TDP. Compared to above, i5-7600T is 35W and i5-11600 is 65W... But it is relatively new, so it will perform relatively better than the i5-7600T per watt.

Thanks. I will try. 
I'm currently on avx2 with multicore=1. 

What is the “regular non-avx2” build? Is it the “sse42” ?

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Doing that through the HQPlayer control API is entirely possible. Although on the web interface, logically /config page is the wrong place for that, instead it should be on the front page where the live controls are.

Where can I find the documentation of the HQPlayer control API?

7 hours ago, Quadman said:

really? they sure do in my system.  When I change filter or modulator there is usually no question that the sound is different.  I not being picky I was just surprised you don't hear much difference between filter or modulator changes.

The differences are subtle......even @Miska would agree with that.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, MikePid said:

Experimenting with the new modulators and filters.  Prog rock sounds really good with EC-super and Sinc-MGa to DSD256!  I was listening to Yes - Steven Wilson Remixes.  My head was bopping, I was air drumming, doing air guitar (especially Squire's bass) and desk drumming.  Haven't had this much fun listening to music in a while!

Solid bass, more dynamics and energy than the previous favourite ECv2/poly-sinc-long.  Too bad MGa is integer, because my DAC doesn't do 48k, which mean most Qobuz hires needs a different filter.

EC-Super with MGa is sometimes too overpowering for me for some other genres.  I need to find something better for piano.

Piano?

Of course, the following observations are dependent upon one's system/brain/hearing and recording quality.

Until recently, I always favored Bosendorfer over Steinway (all Bosendorfer notes seemed more resonant and more full bodied).

But now, with Mini M2 Pro, Desktop v5, sinc-MG, EC v3 & DSD256, the Steinway really sings!

I have yet to compare Fazioli.

1 hour ago, Uni said:

I am running 

naa-440-raspberrypi4-holored.7z  

What's the ssh username and password?

There are no default ssh credentials because it is dangerous. You need to create a username and password first. Or modify the ssh config so that it lets you login without password as root and then you should create a user with password and close the root access again.

I just received amy Holo audio Red, that I would like to use as an NAA.

It works fine out of the box, except that I have some sporadic dropouts.

I am checking my network, replacing some cables, but I would llike to use naa-440-raspberrypi4-holored.7z iso of Holo Audio Red build.

I have burnt this image on a spare 256GB microSDHC card ( nothing smaller at hands ) with Rufus 4.0

I see 2 partitions : 1st one boot FAT32 (70,34MB) , 2nd one root EXT4 (1,7GB) 

Unfortunately, Holo Red does not start up from this card. 

Any advice before I order an extra (smaller) card?

Dirk

28 minutes ago, Miska said:

There are no default ssh credentials because it is dangerous. You need to create a username and password first. Or modify the ssh config so that it lets you login without password as root and then you should create a user with password and close the root access again.

@Miska how can I do that?