IGNORED

U2′s surprising secret for sounding loud in the 21st century

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Thank you for posting this!

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

may this spread everywhere on the net and radio, and then producers won't pump up the volume anymore.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I REALLY do hope their new album is decently recorded and dynamic. I enjoyed the single they played on the roof in NYC for the premier of the Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show.

As a moderate U2 fan (my wife is more fervent than I) for several decades, I have always wondered why on of the wealthiest bands in the world always has such shitty sounding recordings. They could certainly afford better. So I only listen to them in the car. Actually, the best recordings of U2 that I have are not on U2 albums. They are on soundtracks to two Wim Wenders films (although I enjoy Wenders, his soundtracks are almost always better than the films themselves). Check out "Until the End of the World" and "Million Dollar Hotel."

If anyone knows of more well recorded U2, please tell me about it.

Thanks,

--Alex

I REALLY do hope their new album is decently recorded and dynamic. I enjoyed the single they played on the roof in NYC for the premier of the Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show.

As a moderate U2 fan (my wife is more fervent than I) for several decades, I have always wondered why on of the wealthiest bands in the world always has such shitty sounding recordings. They could certainly afford better. So I only listen to them in the car. Actually, the best recordings of U2 that I have are not on U2 albums. They are on soundtracks to two Wim Wenders films (although I enjoy Wenders, his soundtracks are almost always better than the films themselves). Check out "Until the End of the World" and "Million Dollar Hotel."

Thanks,

--Alex

I find all of their remastered downloadable albums found on the U2 website to be excellent sounding in their Deluxe packages. I own all of them from that site and the DR values are very respectable (11-12 ish).

I find all of their remastered downloadable albums found on the U2 website to be excellent sounding in their Deluxe packages. I own all of them from that site and the DR values are very respectable (11-12 ish).

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I hear they are planning a US tour. Watching for the dates so maybe I can surprise my wife for our 26th anniversary in July. Has to be in California though.

Anybody know when their new album is due to drop?

Thanks,

--Alex

I have found that the lads albums from all that you can't leave behind forward have unfortunately fallen victim to the loudness wars. All albums before then have decent DR values.

I'm looking for how to dismantle an atomic bomb and no line with good DR values. Does that U2.com downloads offer any improvement over the CDs?

• 2 months later...

Thanks,

--Alex

Bloody hell! I thought I was the only one, as that is exactly what I have always felt about U2. Which is such a shame since they have written and performed amazing songs, and I have loved their music from the very beginning. Countless times have I grumbled that their recording engineer(s) should be fired. Hopefully someone knows where to find a well recorded gem if they are out there. It would be a shame if their magic was not properly captured before they retire.

Cheers

Actually, the best recordings of U2 that I have are not on U2 albums. They are on soundtracks to two Wim Wenders films (although I enjoy Wenders, his soundtracks are almost always better than the films themselves). Check out "Until the End of the World" and "Million Dollar Hotel."

Thanks,

--Alex

+1 on soundtrack for "Until the End of the World." I like the movie too - had it on laserdisc back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I seem to recall that they were planning a US tour for this year, but despite being on their mailing list and searching every month, I have heard nothing. It is almost June already. Does anybody know what is up with this?

While my wife and I have not gone to a major rock concert in over a decade (we saw ALL the big and medium bands in our youth), it is a dream of hers to see U2 live. Was hoping to do that as something special for our 26th anniversary in July (we didn't get to do anything special for our 25th as she was just recovering from a spinal vertebra fusion from 2 weeks prior).

Glad to know you like the UtEotW soundtrack Jud. There is some fun bass on it, yes? And that Jane Siberry/k.d. Lang track, "Calling All Angels" is wonderful. Lot of good tunes on that one.

But the Million Dollar Hotel OST has much more U2 (and Bono, fronting The Million Dollar Hotel Band, with Jon Hassell, Eno, Daniel Lanios, Bill Frisell), and some great Lou Reed.

And again, both really good recordings for the genre.

Ciao,

Alex C.

U2 are reportedly finishing up a new album, but it isn't expected before Q4 at the earliest. I don't anticipate a tour in 2014, and almost certainly not this summer.

Thanks, bummer. But good news about the album. I certainly liked what they played on that NY rooftop for Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show debut.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to know you like the UtEotW soundtrack Jud. There is some fun bass on it, yes? And that Jane Siberry/k.d. Lang track, "Calling All Angels" is wonderful. Lot of good tunes on that one.

But the Million Dollar Hotel OST has much more U2 (and Bono, fronting The Million Dollar Hotel Band, with Jon Hassell, Eno, Daniel Lanios, Bill Frisell), and some great Lou Reed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I much enjoyed the UtEotW soundtrack, especially the U2 song of course. I agree that recording blows away that on U2 albums and that the bass is great fun. Now, I think that I have to buy the soundtrack to Million Dollar Hotel...