IGNORED

Rsynch or similar current product under MacOS?

Paul R

A friend lost the drive in his Mac Mini last week, which Apple replaced for him. He had all his music files backed up in TimeMachine and on a separate disk, so recovery was not difficult. I was going to send him the rsynch command to setup a cron job to backup his music files to a third disk every day, but at least on my copy of Mavericks, it doesn't seem to be installed.

Does anyone know if it is supposed to be there, and if not, what would you recommend for my friend to use for this purpose? I used to recommend LaCies SliverKeeper, but that isn't supported any longer. Free would be very nice. :)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My Mavericks does have rsync though? (that is if you really meant to say "rsync" instead of "rsynch"):

$ rsync

rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29

Merging NADAC / Theta Compli --> Spectral DMC-20 --> Spectral DMA-250 --> Avalon Ascendant (with tweeter upgrades)

Oh- I *am* an idiot. (*sigh*) There are days when I despair of aging...

Thanks! I will look at forklift and send my friend some info later this evening.

-Paul

/usr/bin/rsync

comes with it for free.

If you want a very pleasant to use GUI front end (which I use all the time, despite being a unix command-line geek), I recommend Forklift:

The most advanced file manager and FTP + SFTP + Amazon S3 + WEBDav client for Mac OS X.

forklift.png

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein