IGNORED

Comparing Luxman DA-06 to Marantz NA-11S1

Hi. Has anyone heard both of these DACS? I have the Marantz right now and I really do prefer the sound in my system to my previous Auralic Vega. But I'm also considering the Luxman before making a final decision. By any chance, has anyone heard both?

Not looking at any other dacs and really want to come to a final decision between these 2 soon.

Thanks.

Hi. Has anyone heard both of these DACS? I have the Marantz right now and I really do prefer the sound in my system to my previous Auralic Vega. But I'm also considering the Luxman before making a final decision. By any chance, has anyone heard both?

Not looking at any other dacs and really want to come to a final decision between these 2 soon.

Thanks.

I have both DAC. Luxman is smoother and more polite. It is very well suited to classical music. Marantz is sharper and more energnetic. It is more suited to rock music. However, both are excellent DAC.

I have not heard the Marantz NA-11s1 but I do own the Luxman.

How do you like the Luxman with the Druid MkV's? I have a pair of Druid V's coming from Sean in a couple of weeks and also just ordered a Luxman on 30 day trial. Just finished with a 30 day of the Auralic Vega and although it has many nice qualities, it was too "in your face" and tension-provoking. Hope the Luxman differs from the Vega in those ways.

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

How do you like the Luxman with the Druid MkV's? I have a pair of Druid V's coming from Sean in a couple of weeks and also just ordered a Luxman on 30 day trial. Just finished with a 30 day of the Auralic Vega and although it has many nice qualities, it was too "in your face" and tension-provoking. Hope the Luxman differs from the Vega in those ways.

I like it a lot. The Druids have, IMO, phenomenal treble resolution, and the Luxman DAC makes the best of it as well as sounding gorgeous. I don't think I would describe the sound of the Luxman as polite as Adyc did. I think Chris did a good job describing the Luxman in his review, it is a great sounding DAC if you like tone and beauty, but don't want to give up transparency and clarity at the same time. I am sure you will like the combination.

What is the rest of your system?

No electron left behind.

I like it a lot. The Druids have, IMO, phenomenal treble resolution, and the Luxman DAC makes the best of it as well as sounding gorgeous. I don't think I would describe the sound of the Luxman as polite as Adyc did. I think Chris did a good job describing the Luxman in his review, it is a great sounding DAC if you like tone and beauty, but don't want to give up transparency and clarity at the same time. I am sure you will like the combination.

What is the rest of your system?

The Druid V's will actually be my second system...still working on what will power it and whether I use the Metric Halo LIO-8 or a newer USB-based DAC.

My main system is the Zu Definitions Mk4's, powered by Audion Black Shadows SET amps, fed from a Coincident Statement Linestage and LIO-8. Really love the expressiveness of Zu speakers...single voice, tone dense, and transparent as any thing I've ever heard.

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

The Druid V's will actually be my second system...still working on what will power it and whether I use the Metric Halo LIO-8 or a newer USB-based DAC.

My main system is the Zu Definitions Mk4's, powered by Audion Black Shadows SET amps, fed from a Coincident Statement Linestage and LIO-8. Really love the expressiveness of Zu speakers...single voice, tone dense, and transparent as any thing I've ever heard.

That sounds like one heck of a first, and second system!

No electron left behind.

Thanks, Doc. I'm familiar with this site. Thought Philip O'Hanlon was strictly a distributor.

He is but he can provide you with the names of dealers in your area.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I don't think I would describe the sound of the Luxman as polite as Adyc did. I think Chris did a good job describing the Luxman in his review, it is a great sounding DAC if you like tone and beauty, but don't want to give up transparency and clarity at the same time. I am sure you will like the combination.

I also own the Luxman and would agree with this description. I wouldn't describe it as 'polite' either. OTOH, I don't think you need to fear that it will be too 'in your face' the way the Auralic Vega was. I considered the Vega, but decided against it after reading all the reviews that commented on the attribute that you didn't like. The Luxman provides a desirable warm quality while maintaining resolution and PRAT. I suppose it's a cliche, but it doesn't sound 'digital' as that term is employed as a negative quality. The Luxman, in my system, never induces listening fatigue as some DACs are known to do.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Does anyone have a good feel for the changes that take place during "burnin" / "settling in" with the Luxman DA-06? I received mine this weekend and have been pleased with the sound overall. In the 20+ hours I have put on it over the weekend, though, it has changed. The essential character hasn't changed appreciably, but it has gone from bold, somewhat resolute, to bold, kinda squirrely resolute, to a little more relaxed and pleasingly resolute. Mind you, these are technical terms, so...just saying. ;-)

In all seriousness, can anyone comment on the subjective changes they noted while the Luxman gained hours of operation?

Also, does the Luxman DA-06 USB require power from the cable/computer? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere I've searched.

Thanks,

Jordan

BTW...the build quality of the Luxman is really quite impressive. It has substantial weight (20+ lbs) and the feel of the knob and buttons is one of high quality. I wish it had volume control (a good one), but I knew that and if it would have significantly compromised quality, I'm happy with their decsion to not include it.

Does anyone have a good feel for the changes that take place during "burnin" / "settling in" with the Luxman DA-06? I received mine this weekend and have been pleased with the sound overall. In the 20+ hours I have put on it over the weekend, though, it has changed. The essential character hasn't changed appreciably, but it has gone from bold, somewhat resolute, to bold, kinda squirrely resolute, to a little more relaxed and pleasingly resolute. Mind you, these are technical terms, so...just saying. ;-)

In all seriousness, can anyone comment on the subjective changes they noted while the Luxman gained hours of operation?

Also, does the Luxman DA-06 USB require power from the cable/computer? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere I've searched.

Thanks,

Jordan

In my case, I listened to it the Luxman initially to confirm that everything worked properly and was impressed by how it sounded. I then I let it run 24/7 for a week without listening to it. So, I couldn't really compare the sound before and after a week's burn-in, nor am I able to describe what audible changes took place. Your question is one that would be an appropriate question to ask the distributor, On a Higher Note. My experience is that they reply to inquiries reasonably quickly. A volume control is only of value if you connect a DAC directly into a power amplifier. As I use a preamp, the lack of a volume control is of no consequence.

I am pretty sure that the Luxman does receive USB power from the computer, but that is another question the distributor should be able to answer.

In my case, I listened to it the Luxman initially to confirm that everything worked properly and was impressed by how it sounded. I then I let it run 24/7 for a week without listening to it. So, I couldn't really compare the sound before and after a week's burn-in, nor am I able to describe what audible changes took place. Your question is one that would be an appropriate question to ask the distributor, On a Higher Note. My experience is that they reply to inquiries reasonably quickly. A volume control is only of value if you connect a DAC directly into a power amplifier. As I use a preamp, the lack of a volume control is of no consequence.

I am pretty sure that the Luxman does receive USB power from the computer, but that is another question the distributor should be able to answer.

Thanks Allan. I listened almost immediately to determine if it was to my liking as well. It was. I don't think "burnin" or "settling in" will turn a sows ear into a silk purse, but there does seem to be generally positive changes over the first 100 - 400 hours for most DAC's I've listened to. *Just my opinion based on non-blinded listening experience...not an invitation to those inclined to engage in a subjectivist/objectivist debate*

I run through a linestage too, but my linestage does not have remote control...a real bummer given the significant difference in recording outputs of todays various PCM and DSD files.

Thanks again.

Jordan

Thanks Allan. I listened almost immediately to determine if it was to my liking as well. It was. I don't think "burnin" or "settling in" will turn a sows ear into a silk purse, but there does seem to be generally positive changes over the first 100 - 400 hours for most DAC's I've listened to. *Just my opinion based on non-blinded listening experience...not an invitation to those inclined to engage in a subjectivist/objectivist debate*

I run through a linestage too, but my linestage does not have remote control...a real bummer given the significant difference in recording outputs of todays various PCM and DSD files.

Thanks again.

Jordan

My experience regarding burn-in has been similar to yours. I love the caveat you included to discourage 'youknowwho' and others. I forgot about the remote issue as my preamp comes with one. If you are using a music player with volume control, you may be able to control volume of your PCM files that way, e.g. J River plus JRemote on an iPad. However, with J River, it doesn't work for DSD files.

100 hours on my DA-06 as of tonight and the sound is really quite special. I also just got my CAPS v3 up and running last night so perhaps that is responsible for the huge grin on my face? I used a MacBook Pro prior. Honestly, some fairly familiar songs that I have never been all that impressed with sound ridiculously real, enveloping, and downright spooky tonight. Lovin' this DAC right now!!

100 hours on my DA-06 as of tonight and the sound is really quite special. I also just got my CAPS v3 up and running last night so perhaps that is responsible for the huge grin on my face? I used a MacBook Pro prior. Honestly, some fairly familiar songs that I have never been all that impressed with sound ridiculously real, enveloping, and downright spooky tonight. Lovin' this DAC right now!!

Glad to hear it. I am feeding my Luxman with a CAPS v3 too. Wonderful sound on Redbook, PCM Hi Res, and DSD. It's a great DAC!

I replaced the wall wart for the CAPS with a Keces DC-116 LPS and installed an iFi i-USB between the CAPS SOtM USB card output and the Luxman USB input, both tweaks providing subtle but audible improvements.

I replaced the wall wart for the CAPS with a Keces DC-116 LPS and installed an iFi i-USB between the CAPS SOtM USB card output and the Luxman USB input, both tweaks providing subtle but audible improvements.

Allan - is your CAPS a Zuma? I'm curious if the Keces could be a direct plug and play with the Zuma...read some conflicting comments on this so far. Is it worthwhile to power the sotm USB card as well, or does the iFi accomplish most of the benefit of independently powering the sotm card? I just remembering Chris's comments on powering a CAPSv3 with the Black Lightning Battery...if I remember correctly, he essentially said that powering both made a significant improvement while powering either the MB or the sotm by itself did not.

Thanks,

Jordan

I've had the Luxman DA-06 for about a month now - I have over 400+ hrs on it and am really enjoying it - burnin results in a smoother and more detailed sound. The Lux replaced a Teac UD501, BMC PureDAC, Exasound E20 MKII, Mytek 192, PS Audio PWD MKII/bridge, etc... To my ears its the most natural sounding and enjoyable. The only thing I'm not enamored with is the relay click when switching resolution - similar to the PWD. I'm using a dual PC setup with WIN7(control PC) dual channel ESATA 16TB to a CAPS 3 CARBON(audio PC), JPLAY 5.2, Audiophile Optimiser with WS2012 R2. I'm powering the CAPS with an SOTM sps1000 3 rail linear power supply - rail two to the SOtM USB card, and the third rail to my Tortuga Audio LDR. The Samsung SSD is powered by an Anker 4 battery supply. It all sounds very good to me ;) The sps1000 resulted in a quieter background and a wider soundstage along with a general smoothness that I feel sounds like my old analog rig. Was it worth $1000?? I think so but I haven't gone back to the individual SMPS supplies.

tony

Allan - is your CAPS a Zuma? I'm curious if the Keces could be a direct plug and play with the Zuma...read some conflicting comments on this so far. Is it worthwhile to power the sotm USB card as well, or does the iFi accomplish most of the benefit of independently powering the sotm card? I just remembering Chris's comments on powering a CAPSv3 with the Black Lightning Battery...if I remember correctly, he essentially said that powering both made a significant improvement while powering either the MB or the sotm by itself did not.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordan

My CAPS is a Carbon so I can't offer any comments re the Keces and the Zuma. I have read that benefit is obtained by using a linear power supply for the SOtM card. I had doubts about the ability of the dual output Keces to power both the mobo and the SOtM card because the dual output model provides only 3A, which may not be enough to boot the CAPS.

I don't really know if the iFi i-USB provides the same benefit as a linear power supply to the SOtM card, but I know that it works by cutting off the power supplied through the SOtM card and replaces it with its own 'clean power' to the DAC. I don't recall what Chris had to say as I haven't read his review since I bought my DAC.

I've had the Luxman DA-06 for about a month now - I have over 400+ hrs on it and am really enjoying it - burnin results in a smoother and more detailed sound. The Lux replaced a Teac UD501, BMC PureDAC, Exasound E20 MKII, Mytek 192, PS Audio PWD MKII/bridge, etc... To my ears its the most natural sounding and enjoyable. The only thing I'm not enamored with is the relay click when switching resolution - similar to the PWD. I'm using a dual PC setup with WIN7(control PC) dual channel ESATA 16TB to a CAPS 3 CARBON(audio PC), JPLAY 5.2, Audiophile Optimiser with WS2012 R2. I'm powering the CAPS with an SOTM sps1000 3 rail linear power supply - rail two to the SOtM USB card, and the third rail to my Tortuga Audio LDR. The Samsung SSD is powered by an Anker 4 battery supply. It all sounds very good to me ;) The sps1000 resulted in a quieter background and a wider soundstage along with a general smoothness that I feel sounds like my old analog rig. Was it worth $1000?? I think so but I haven't gone back to the individual SMPS supplies.

tony

Tony - that is quite the computer setup! Was going to WS2012 R2 alone worthwhile or does it just facilitate the two PC / JPlay setup? Not sure I could bring myself to experiment with a 2pc setup.

The Luxman DA-06 is quite dramatically better than the Auralic Vega in my system. I haven't compared it to my Metric Halo LIO-8 directly, but my "sense" is that the Lux took a large leap past it last night in ways that matter to me.

Hi Jordon, I started by using the Lux direct USB from my Win7 machine. I went with the dual PC setup because my audio computer is in another room along with the 8 bay ESATA tower. It was a definite night/day improvement vs. direct USB. I was using a Belkin Gold cable. I'm using a Paul Pang Red USB cable now and a Acoustic Revive Ethernet filter. It seems that every step brought about a bit more resolution. I went back to the Belkin USB cable direct last night and didn't enjoy it very much and went back to the dual PC. If you have the time and $$ you should try it. I wish there was a way to stream from one PC to the other without JPlay but I haven't found anything that will do that. I also use JRiver 19 and JRemote with an IPad Air. Going from GUI to Core mode in WS2012 was a big improvement for sure.