IGNORED

Comparing Luxman DA-06 to Marantz NA-11S1

Indeed I am, but in my opinion we don't need to wait 500 years for it to happen...

I couldn't agree more.

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

• 2 weeks later...

OP here. Thanks.The responses have been helpful. I still have the Marantz NA-11S1, but am shopping for a Luxman DA-06. System is in transition. I'm considering pairing the Luxman DAC with a Luxman L-550AX integrated amp. But I want to test new speakers with familiar equipment prior to further changes if possible.

There is a paucity of in-depth evaluation of the Marantz. The Stereophile review is the only really helpful review I've found. Not many user reviews either.I can tell you that the Marantz also clicks audibly between changes, but it doesn't bother me. The clicking is much quieter than, for example, the PS Audio PWII dac. As of right now, I'm not satisfied enough with the Marantz dac to stop with it, but that may change with different speakers and/or amps in the system. I do think it is very likely that I'll be testing the Luxman in the near future and will post.

.... Just finished with a 30 day of the Auralic Vega and although it has many nice qualities, it was too "in your face" and tension-provoking ....

Hi Germanboxers,

I'm interested in your experience with Auralic Vega. Can you help me better understanding the reason why you did not like it ?

Many thanks,

Massimo

Hi Germanboxers,

I'm interested in your experience with Auralic Vega. Can you help me better understanding the reason why you did not like it ?

Many thanks,

Massimo

Hi Massimo. My experience with the Auralic Vega was that it was *big*, *bold*, *detailed*, and *tone-dense*. These are all positive qualities in my opinion. However, it was also quite forward in my system which gave me the sense of it "beating its qualities into me", rather than just revealing its qualities. This, coupled with a treble range that didn't sound quite right to me, induced a tension in my body during listening sessions. This, for me, is how I know something isn't quite right, even if I can't articulate it...I feel my body tensing up during the course of listening sessions. It may very well be simply a system matching issue on my end, but just wasn't a keeper for me. The Luxman, on the other hand, fits the bill nicely.

Regards,

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

OP here. Thanks.The responses have been helpful. I still have the Marantz NA-11S1, but am shopping for a Luxman DA-06. System is in transition. I'm considering pairing the Luxman DAC with a Luxman L-550AX integrated amp. But I want to test new speakers with familiar equipment prior to further changes if possible.

There is a paucity of in-depth evaluation of the Marantz. The Stereophile review is the only really helpful review I've found. Not many user reviews either.I can tell you that the Marantz also clicks audibly between changes, but it doesn't bother me. The clicking is much quieter than, for example, the PS Audio PWII dac. As of right now, I'm not satisfied enough with the Marantz dac to stop with it, but that may change with different speakers and/or amps in the system. I do think it is very likely that I'll be testing the Luxman in the near future and will post.

Did you try the Marantz' Ethernet input, streaming music through your home network? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well as a comparison between the Luxman and Marantz. I've had a Marantz CD player in the past (SA11-S1) and found it to be on the rich/warm side vs. my current Simaudio 650D. It would be interesting to hear if the Luxman is actually warmer/richer sounding than the Marantz.

Did you try the Marantz' Ethernet input, streaming music through your home network? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well as a comparison between the Luxman and Marantz. I've had a Marantz CD player in the past (SA11-S1) and found it to be on the rich/warm side vs. my current Simaudio 650D. It would be interesting to hear if the Luxman is actually warmer/richer sounding than the Marantz.

Hi Camb,

Streaming was easy to set up and sounds close to usb in quality. It is very good, and streaming internet radio sounds very good as well. Nice features. It is hard for me to describe the sound of the Marantz even after 2 months, in part because it has sounded quite different depending on the volume control I use. After 3 months with the Auralic Vega, however, it is a relief. I would agree with what Jordan said so well above. So I know that the Marantz, for whatever it might sacrifice compared to the Vega, is moving in the right direction for me. The Marantz is warmer, maybe richer. It is definitely smoother, but not overly soft. Plenty of detail but not the intense microdetail of the Vega. Not as spacious sounding in my system as the Vega, but still very good.

I really don't know when I'll have the Luxman. A pair of speakers arrived yesterday and I want to spend a little time with them using present equipment to gauge the sound quality before further complicating matters, but I will post when I get to the Luxman dac.

Hi Massimo. My experience with the Auralic Vega was that it was *big*, *bold*, *detailed*, and *tone-dense*. These are all positive qualities in my opinion. However, it was also quite forward in my system which gave me the sense of it "beating its qualities into me", rather than just revealing its qualities. This, coupled with a treble range that didn't sound quite right to me, induced a tension in my body during listening sessions. This, for me, is how I know something isn't quite right, even if I can't articulate it...I feel my body tensing up during the course of listening sessions. It may very well be simply a system matching issue on my end, but just wasn't a keeper for me. The Luxman, on the other hand, fits the bill nicely.

Regards,

Jordan

I've got it, thanks.

Taking the opportunity to ask you if you had a chance to compare Luxman with Meitner MA-1 ?

Regards,

Massimo

I've got it, thanks.

Taking the opportunity to ask you if you had a chance to compare Luxman with Meitner MA-1 ?

Regards,

Massimo

No, Massimo, I have not been able to compare the Luxman with the MA-1. It is one of the DAC's I wanted to demo, but I never had the opportunity. In the end, I'm quite satisfied with the Luxman as it's sound has struck a chord with me and I'm glad to have put this part of the quest to bed.

Regards,

Jordan

• 2 months later...

I am on the fence between the Marantz NA-11s1 and the Luxman DA-06. Just wondering if there have any comparisons of these two. To those who use the Luxman, how do you find the bass? Just wondering if it has slam/power in this area while maintaining that lushness that folks seem to be enjoying.