IGNORED

Asynchronous USB or USB converter to spdif?

Any comments much appreciated. Would like to know, if I have an asynchronous USB DAC, will a good USB to SPDIF converter still reap rewards? What I mean is, is it any

benefit to convert to spdif prior to the DAC so I can use the DACS spdif input rather than the USB?

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Chord Company speaker and IC cables

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

Hard to generalise. It largely depends on the DAC

And the convertor...

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Any comments much appreciated. Would like to know, if I have an asynchronous USB DAC, will a good USB to SPDIF converter still reap rewards? What I mean is, is it any

benefit to convert to spdif prior to the DAC so I can use the DACS spdif input rather than the USB?

From my limited experience I have noticed with the Berkeley Alpha USB converter that no matter which DAC I tested, including MSB, Ayre, McIntosh, etc., using the external Berkeley converter, and using the XLR (AES/EBU) into the DAC beat the internal USB connections of all the DACs. I think that USB is inherently just so noisy in the EMI/RFI area that keeping it physically removed from the sensitive DAC, clock and analog sections makes a big difference.

In addition I use an IFI USB Power to clean the USB power and cut the USB ground before sending it to the USB-SPDIF converter. All this is bit perfect by the way but just helps in removing common mode noise.

Cheers

I agree with tranz. I just wish there was a way to do DSD over SPDIF as I would really like to experiment with PCM2DSD and compare DSD files versus high res FLAC.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

+1

Any DAC can only play what it is fed.

Including the jitter...

GIGO

Re jitter, depends on the DAC input and whether the input permits reclocking in the DAC. Wrt the subject of the thread, if the input isn't async , then use of an external async converter will help ensure one doesn't get "garbage in."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I agree with tranz. I just wish there was a way to do DSD over SPDIF as I would really like to experiment with PCM2DSD and compare DSD files versus high res FLAC.

Hi tboooe,

You can do that using DoP (DSD over PCM) in Audivarna for example. The data stream in my setup went through an IFI USB Power and the Berkeley USB Alpha before hitting the DAC through XLR (AES/EBU). However, since most USB-SPDIF converters max out at 192Khz you are limited to the 64x DSD, but you can certainly try it out.

Cheers.

Thanks tranz...I will have to try it out though it is not optimum.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Thanks everyone! Wish there was a more definitive answer. Gonna start another thread outlining my real underlying question. Thanks again!

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Chord Company speaker and IC cables

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

Thanks everyone! Wish there was a more definitive answer. Gonna start another thread outlining my real underlying question. Thanks again!

jaxwired,

I don't remember any feedbacks from users who did the comparaison, that said that a good top of the line USB to SPDIF converter does not add performance to a USB dac.

In fact, I challenge anybody to prove the opposite assuming we are talking of converters that a normal human beeing can afford.

i did the comparaison and I will never can be able to go back listening in direct USB connection after adding the AP2 + PP. And this opinion is shared by at least five others people (on five) who listened to my set up in a recent mini-meet.

So, to answer your underlying question. A DEFINITE YES!

Anything will be better than an USB async. Async is good for mouse, keyboard, printers... stuff that can wait for the USB master in the PC. DAC's are real-time, cannot afford that luxury.

Anything will be better than an USB async. Async is good for mouse, keyboard, printers... stuff that can wait for the USB master in the PC. DAC's are real-time, cannot afford that luxury.

- The system for music playback that includes the DAC has never been "real time," and in some respects, the less "real time" the better.

The respect in which pretty well all DACs are not real time is that the bitstream is buffered before being clocked out of the buffer into the conversion process. The respect in which a playback system that is less real time can be better is that software players that enable playback from RAM can avoid computer activity deleterious to sound quality occurring at the same time as conversion in the DAC.

- To the OP: Of course the answer is "it depends." Having the async interface in the DAC gets the clock closer to the conversion process, a good thing to lower jitter. OTOH, a separate box can potentially keep electrical interference out of the DAC itself to a greater degree.

Essentially, here as elsewhere, best specific implementation wins over any general rule about same/separate box.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Essentially, here as elsewhere, best specific implementation wins over any general rule about same/separate box.

There has been a major improvement in implementation of asynchronous USB in the last year or two and I doubt that the better recent USB DACs would benefit from a USB to SPDIF converter.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

- The system for music playback that includes the DAC has never been "real time," and in some respects, the less "real time" the better.

External DAC (USB, SPDIF) is always real time, unless you have buffer memory on DAC itself. Data will come with the rate that sync USB (push method) dictates, and with the interruptions for all other devices on that USB chain.

True though, async USB (pull method) is better, it will request that data based on DAC needs, but it still depends on USB master to comply with the requests. If master is 'busy' with other devices, DAC will loose samples.

Best DAC's will have a generous RAM buffer on board.

Hello Jaxwired;

Not feeling very technical tonight. The generalization that asynch USB can be less than stunning is just silly, but completly dependent on the dac.

The Mytek will likely knock your socks off (@ $1595-1695), and perorms flawlessly with DSD as well - no converter required. At least that is my experience, as well as that of many others here.

You only have one person to satisfy, and that is yourself. Give one a trial, if you have the inclination and time, your likely to be very pleased...

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

External DAC (USB, SPDIF) is always real time, unless you have buffer memory on DAC itself. Data will come with the rate that sync USB (push method) dictates, and with the interruptions for all other devices on that USB chain.

True though, async USB (pull method) is better, it will request that data based on DAC needs, but it still depends on USB master to comply with the requests. If master is 'busy' with other devices, DAC will loose samples.

Best DAC's will have a generous RAM buffer on board.

Neither of the async USB DACs I've owned has ever lost a single sample , other than with a defective USB cable that I quickly replaced and no more problem. One was $450, the other not a lot more. I also had a USB/SPDIF converter (async) for just over $150 that never lost a single sample either.

Amazing how inexpensive "the best DACs" with those RAM buffers are these days, eh? ;)

If you read my post you'll see that async doesn't need buffers. It just requires that your PC doesn't have something else connected on that USB hub (like an external HDD).

Nevertheless, async has them (buffers). And there have been many, many posts in the forums here from people who have other equipment connected on the same USB hub or port (look in the system information for a MacBook or MacBook Pro and odds are you, like me, will have some other device sharing a USB port with your DAC) asking whether they would get better sound if they put the DAC on a port by itself. I presume by "better sound" they don't mean constant "ticks" from dropping bits (no one's complained of that, and as I mentioned, I've never experienced any such dropouts with three different inexpensive pieces of async USB equipment over a period of a few years), but rather sound quality in general.

With my NuForce DAC-9, which was previously fed by an RME 9632 soundcard via AES/EBU(which I preferred over USB), the Audiophilleo2 w/Purepower via BNC-direct made a world of difference for the better. In three other setups, with much more expensive DAC's, friends have reported no less subtle differences in favor of the use of AP2 w/purepower.

The debate over whether to go USB-native async or via USB to S/PDIF converters has sometimes centered on the more theory-heavy "what ought to be the desired path"(i.e.: USB-native async) than what might in-effect have led to the more desirable sonic outcome via USB to S/PDIF converters. Adding another component of the kind, being relatively inexpensive, is a no brainer in my view when the sonic upgrade is of this magnitude and beating what a similarly priced or more expensive stand-alone DAC can offer via its native USB async input.

Of course, these are my impressions with named product; many others (and DAC-combinations) are untested by me.. Not least: your self-formed impressions via your own setup are mandatory, it goes (almost) without saying :)

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)