IGNORED

Vibrations eaters on top of the speakers

Hello,

Have you ever seen or use a specialized vibrations eaters/rings on top of the speakers to dump the enclosure resonances? If so which ones, where to find this kind of accessoriums?

/Regards,

Krzysztof

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Hello,

Have you ever seen or use a specialized vibrations eaters/rings on top of the speakers to dump the enclosure resonances? If so which ones, where to find this kind of accessoriums?

/Regards,

Krzysztof

Hi. You can try Artesania Audio dampers (MKIII version). You can check them in their web ( Artesania Audio. Design and hand-made production of furniture HI-FI ). You could contact them and I do not think they have any problem to ship them to you.

No conflicts of interest BTW

Regards

Oscar

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Essential Audiotools Filtered Mains Multiplier/Sablon Audio Gran Corona

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

HP: Ipod Classic 160Gb>Centrance Hifi-M8>Audeze LCD-X/Audeze LCD-XC

Around 180€ per MKIII damper. Not cheap.

I recently have bought 2 dampers improved for my electronics

MBP 2012 ML 10.8.3 16 Gb and itunes 10.7 > Amarra Symphony with IRC, A+, PM> Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB + AQmicroUSB adaptor> Chord Hugo> Zensati #3 RCA > McIntosh C2500 preamp> Atlas Mavros XLR> McIntosh MC452 amplifier >Atlas Mavros speaker cable > Focal Scala Utopia > Ears > Brain > Enjoyment

Analogue:Clearaudio master solution+SME V+Benz micro LP-S+Clearaudio Sixtream phono cable

Indeed, not cheap. Wondering if any improvement to the sound?

I can only comment with respect to the Beaks, and it was about 10 years ago, but I did not perceive any difference with the Beaks in place so I sold them. The Totem speakers were terrific though....

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Indeed, not cheap. Wondering if any improvement to the sound?

Not cheap at all. I haven't test mine yet, so I cannot speak. Effects will depend on how prior speakers isolation is and weight of them. You can try with a pair of big decoration books on top of speakers ;-)

Cheers

Oscar

Just one thing... Don't most speaker manufacturers know their speakers will vibrate and take that into account when they design them?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As I understand & have seen in various speakers & the their design, cabinet resonances are addressed relative to the price point of the particular speaker. Resonance cancelling designs, bracing & effective dampening materials are typically used but all add cost. The amount to which all these means are used is usually relative to the cost.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

As I understand & have seen in various speakers & the their design, cabinet resonances are addressed relative to the price point of the particular speaker. Resonance cancelling designs, bracing & effective dampening materials are typically used but all add cost. The amount to which all these means are used is usually relative to the cost.

Yes, but my point is that as well as trying to eliminate the vibrations, to a certain extent the manufacturers also work with the vibrations. Deadening a speaker not designed to be dead of vibrations may not improve its sound...

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Yes, but my point is that as well as trying to eliminate the vibrations, to a certain extent the manufacturers also work with the vibrations. Deadening a speaker not designed to be dead of vibrations may not improve its sound...

Eloise

Yes, agree. But to the certain extent putting some absorbing heavy material atop of the speakers may eliminate some vibrations, even they are outside the audible range.

Those "dumpers" are pretty nice (also not cheap) BTW: EntreQ - www.entreq.com They have pictures where this kind of vibe eaters were put atop of Alexandria speakers, which as you know are rather top end.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Those "dumpers" are pretty nice (also not cheap) BTW: EntreQ - www.entreq.com They have pictures where this kind of vibe eaters were put atop of Alexandria speakers, which as you know are rather top end.

Whats the difference between those entreq vibb eaters, and the White Doorstop With Cath Kidston Ikea Rosali He... - Folksy door stops from Ikea??

Eloise

---

Adding a damper to the top panel will only help the top panel.....usually the smallest panel besides the bottom and as such, natively the least resonant. Consequently, surface damping will leave the damping unit to resonate at its own freq dependant on the material. If you suspect resonance, remove the midwoofer(s) and inspect the internal bracing. You can add if you like using hardwood dowels of 3/4" diameter or larger...horizontally from side to side would be most effective, bracing the largest side panels. Constructing expanding braces is pretty simple too where you can't fit the size needed. You'll need some machine thread inserts as well as a threaded stud and two nuts and washers. MUCH more effective than the devices you mentioned.....and much cheaper too!

Eloise

I quite agree, Harbeth is a good example.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

• 1 month later...

Once you have optimized the inside of a speaker, mass and stiffness are the remaining tools to combat cabinet resonance. There are inexpensive aftermarket solutions to increase these, but the drawback is that they are ugly unless a lot of labor is done, or you are creative with rock and/or concrete.

Glue slabs of something nonmagnetic, hard, and heavy to the outer surfaces of the speaker. Be sure those surfaces are either radiused where they meet the speaker edges, or have thick felt or another lossy material to diffuse the diffraction from sharp edges. In an ideal world we would locally buy heavy composite enclosures (basically concrete), bolt our drivers and crossovers to them, and spend a fraction of the cost of showroom speakers. The mass and smooth finish of full-range loudspeakers typically account for at least half of the cost of models up to around $20k/pr.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.