IGNORED

Van Morrison

First high definition Van Morrison studio release? I can't think of another (perhaps some DVD rips of live shows). From Warner Bros. Does this mean the rest of the collection soon? Hmmm...that would be GREAT!!!

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX603497919697

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Oh yes!

I really hope for the back-catalogue to be offered as high.def downloads.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Warners has said they are putting out catalog in hi-res. I think I read they've archived 8000 albums in 24/192. But they are also supposedly on board with Pono. Might be worth it to wait for Pono (later this year?) and see what develops.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Have heard the Japanese 2008 remaster on CD. Sounds good. This might be better unless they somehow screwed up the remaster.

Waiting to hear from one or two others before buying, though.

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Warners has said they are putting out catalog in hi-res. I think I read they've archived 8000 albums in 24/192. But they are also supposedly on board with Pono. Might be worth it to wait for Pono (later this year?) and see what develops.

I'm good with buying 24/192 and waiting to see if Pono comes about....especially the 1960's and early 1970's material. That is a magic time in Van's career.

Neil Young Expands Pono Digital-to-Analog Music Service | Music News | Rolling Stone

Best,

John

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed folder: /HDtracks/Van Morrison/Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart 24-192

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -0.21 dB -15.73 dB 01-Higher Than The World.aif

DR11 -0.70 dB -14.74 dB 02-Connswater.aif

DR12 -2.89 dB -16.78 dB 03-River Of Time.aif

DR12 -2.60 dB -18.34 dB 04-Celtic Swing.aif

DR12 -2.44 dB -17.36 dB 05-Rave On, John Donne.aif

DR10 -0.71 dB -15.32 dB 06-Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart, No. 1.aif

DR11 -1.22 dB -15.06 dB 07-Irish Heartbeat.aif

DR13 -2.74 dB -17.97 dB 08-The Street Only Knew Your Name.aif

DR11 -1.69 dB -16.23 dB 09-Cry For Home.aif

DR12 -3.59 dB -17.88 dB 10-Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart, No. 2.aif

DR12 -3.24 dB -19.29 dB 11-September Night.aif

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR12

===================================================

Thanks for the DR-Ratings!

They look quite good, at least way better as these: DR Database

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Analyzed folder: /HDtracks/Van Morrison/Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart 24-192

DR Peak RMS Filename

DR12 -0.21 dB -15.73 dB 01-Higher Than The World.aif

DR11 -0.70 dB -14.74 dB 02-Connswater.aif

DR12 -2.89 dB -16.78 dB 03-River Of Time.aif

DR12 -2.60 dB -18.34 dB 04-Celtic Swing.aif

DR12 -2.44 dB -17.36 dB 05-Rave On, John Donne.aif

DR10 -0.71 dB -15.32 dB 06-Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart, No. 1.aif

DR11 -1.22 dB -15.06 dB 07-Irish Heartbeat.aif

DR13 -2.74 dB -17.97 dB 08-The Street Only Knew Your Name.aif

DR11 -1.69 dB -16.23 dB 09-Cry For Home.aif

DR12 -3.59 dB -17.88 dB 10-Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart, No. 2.aif

DR12 -3.24 dB -19.29 dB 11-September Night.aif

Number of files: 11

Official DR value: DR12

===================================================

That looks reasonable enough. This is from the original US CD release.

Inarticulate.jpg

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Celtic Swing is an odd song...I thought I had a "bad" copy until I listened to the MP3 sampler on Amazon.com and found out that it was purposefully recorded with a static white noise "sound" rather than it being a file issue. What was Van thinking with that track? Please help me understand the artistic intention...the rest of the album is so clear and smooth.

Best,

John

P.S. I never owned this album previous....

Celtic Swing is an odd song...I thought I had a "bad" copy until I listened to the MP3 sampler on Amazon.com and found out that it was purposefully recorded with a static white noise "sound" rather than it being a file issue. What was Van thinking with that track? Please help me understand the artistic intention...the rest of the album is so clear and smooth.

Best,

John

I dowloaded it yesterday and I only hear a white noise with the saxophone on Celtic Swing. Maybe to create an airy atmosphere? But apart from the sax I do not hear any white noise.

Saint Dominic's Preview, Moondance, Astral Weeks, please please please!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Saint Dominic's Preview, Moondance, Astral Weeks, please please please!

Those VM albums all have what I've always heard as a special sound. Especially on LP, but even my CDs sound pretty good. Here's hopes that the "acoustic" sound of Astral Weeks will be evident in a hi-res release. Let's just pray for no added VC.

While we're on the topic, does anyone have an opinion on the best release of Astral Weeks? I have never seen a High-Res (and am hoping like all of you to get it) or even re-mastered CD (besides the original CD conversion/release in the 90's). I know that he re-released a vinyl copy a year or 2 ago, but from what I remember it was cut from the digital mix used on the CD.

Astral Weeks is one of my favorite albums, but the recording quality is certainly not his best.

Best,

John

I dowloaded it yesterday and I only hear a white noise with the saxophone on Celtic Swing. Maybe to create an airy atmosphere? But apart from the sax I do not hear any white noise.

White noise? Gentlemen, that is very clearly the noise of the sax player's breath. You can hear not only breathing but "tonguing" (the sound the player's tongue makes against the reed at the start of the note). Yes, the sound is exaggerated compared to how you would hear it as an audience member or even as a player, but goodness, it's certainly produced by a living, breathing human as opposed to the electronic sound of white noise.

One thing I'm disappointed in is Irish Heartbeat, a highlight of Van's 1988 LP of the same name with the Chieftains. The version from the download doesn't have nearly the Celtic heart and soul of the 1988 LP track.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

White noise? Gentlemen, that is very clearly the noise of the sax player's breath. You can hear not only breathing but "tonguing" (the sound the player's tongue makes against the reed at the start of the note). Yes, the sound is exaggerated compared to how you would hear it as an audience member or even as a player, but goodness, it's certainly produced by a living, breathing human as opposed to the electronic sound of white noise.

One thing I'm disappointed in is Irish Heartbeat, a highlight of Van's 1988 LP of the same name with the Chieftains. The version from the download doesn't have nearly the Celtic heart and soul of the 1988 LP track.

Could be wrong but to my ears the hiss comes in before the sax and is a continuous monotonous sound each for a few seconds above the music.It doesnt appear coincident with the starting or stopping of notes as would tongueing of a reed, nor ride with the sax notes as does a reedy sound.I play sax (badly) and to me doesn't sound like reed noise.Also when the mic is that close you often hear the keys opening and closing which is not present here.

It doesnt sound like surface noise to me either. I dont know why its there.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Could be wrong but to my ears the hiss comes in before the sax and is a continuous monotonous sound each for a few seconds above the music.It doesnt appear coincident with the starting or stopping of notes as would tongueing of a reed, nor ride with the sax notes as does a reedy sound.I play sax (badly) and to me doesn't sound like reed noise.Also when the mic is that close you often hear the keys opening and closing which is not present here.

It doesnt sound like surface noise to me either. I dont know why its there.

There really isn't any "sounds like" here. While always conscious of the fact I could be mistaken, I really am pretty certain it's the sax player's breath sounds. Why he chose or was told to use that particular exaggerated technique, I don't know. It's a little like the way Miles played trumpet, the breath beginning before the note and continuing after.

To be clear, I am truly interested in what people have to say with something that at best is a highly exaggerated reed breath or at the other end an artistic choice to create a "sound" that is very static/white noise like.

I know there can be no "right" answer. It was clearly the intended sound which is interesting to me.

Another song that has a similar "sound" is Skateaway by Dire Straits off Making Movies. Lots of background static as if played on a worn out LP with a lot of static and lint on the needle. I've wondered about that artistic choice, too.

Thanks for the ideas...all comments are welcome!

Best,

John

P.S. Bring on St Dominic's Preview and Astral Weeks! I like my SHM-CD of St DP very well. I am split on AW...the original release and the SHM-CD are each different and have merit, with the SHM-CD version having better articulation of instruments at the expense of seeming louder.

An Amazon review of the album:

This is one of my "ten CDs for a desert island" albums: I've been in love with it since it came out in the mid-Eighties. It's aged well, too. Van definitely explores his mystical side here: he's a strong poet and singer.

Aside from his beautiful vocals, which are masterful as usual, there are several instrumental pieces on this recording. Back-up singers (gorgeous, full-voiced women) supply uncommon depth; the dreamy piano and guitar, breathy saxophone, and delicate bass work make this (honestly) the best "lie in bed all day Sunday with your lover" music I can think of.

It's an exquisite recording. I can't count the number of friends I've gifted with it. It's deep, and it's broad.

The (alto) sax on Celtic Swing, as on a number of tracks on the album, was played by Van himself.

P.S. Bring on St Dominic's Preview and Astral Weeks! I like my SHM-CD of St DP very well. I am split on AW...the original release and the SHM-CD are each different and have merit, with the SHM-CD version having better articulation of instruments at the expense of seeming louder.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think either of these titles were released on the SHM-CD format. I have a 2008 Japan remaster of Astral Weeks from the Forever Young series (WPCR-75419), but I am not aware of any other recent Japanese release of this disc.

And I too am hoping for a generous offering of HD Van Morrison in the near future!!! :)

I think you are correct...it is the Warner Japan/Zoom (Forever Young) remaster from 2008. The St DP is from Polydor.

Sorry, I was typing from memory (albeit poor memory)!

You are correct. There have never been SHM versions of VM albums. The Japanese version of Astral Weeks you reference is currently the best sounding digital mastering. It could be better as proven by several of my original LP pressings. Maybe I should just make some needledrop 24/192 A/D sets!

Oh, and Jud is quite correct. The "white noise" is Van on the reed!