IGNORED

NAS through ethernet worse than external HDD, even with pre-cached, how?

Personal experience here with ethernet introducing listening fatigue. Have a Synology NAS collecting dust as I moved to a Tbolt HD instead. Still use Apple remote through ethernet connection though. Cables are UTP, and am planning to switch those to CAT7 for shielding, and looking at an Acoustic Revive ethernet filter.

Bit of a pain but I now physically unplug the ethernet cable after starting playback with a relief to my ears.

Am even looking for a 'quiet' gigabit switch without LEDs....anyone know of one?

Bit of a pain but I now physically unplug the ethernet cable after starting playback with a relief to my ears.

Am even looking for a 'quiet' gigabit switch without LEDs....anyone know of one?

May be worth checking if you're suffering some form of synesthesia, what with the flashing network comms LEDs as the remote talks to the device. A bit concerned that your figurative comment might actually be literal.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 1 month later...

Nothing conclusive either way, seems to work fine either with either setting, with no discernible difference. So at the moment I still have memory play disabled. Maybe I will try it again the other way and see if I notice anything different.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Nothing conclusive either way, seems to work fine either with either setting, with no discernible difference. So at the moment I still have memory play disabled. Maybe I will try it again the other way and see if I notice anything different.

OK. I tired it too.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos