IGNORED

Excited about my first audiophile setup - recommendations for what's next?

First, thank you to everyone for all the great information that I've had the pleasure of researching the past six months. I finally chose my first budget audiophile setup this past month. So far it's been a world of change rediscovering my music.

I wanted to share my initial equipment list and kindly ask for recommendations about incremental improvements I should focus on next as my budget permits.

Current Hardware:

• Computer: MacBook Air (2012)
  • DAC: Musical Fidelity M1 DAC (2012 version)
  • Monitors: Tannoy 601a (powered)
  • Subwoofer: Tannoy TS10 (got a great deal on eBay for a used one)
  • Wireless streaming: Airport Express (MC414LL/A) (for convenience - primary connection is from computer via USB)
  • Headphone DAC/Amp: FiiO e17 (I've had this for awhile and I take this with me while out and about)
  • IEMs: Etymotic ER4P w/ the ER4P to 4S adapter
  • Powerstrip: Belkin BG108000-04 Conserve (I've had this for awhile in lieu of what else to get)

Current Interconnects:

• Computer to DAC: Supra USB cable
  • Airport Express to DAC: MediaBridge Toslink
  • DAC to FiiO (in amp mode): QED Profile RCA (another great deal on eBay) w/ RCA to 3.5mm adapter
  • DAC to sub: GLS Audio XLR
  • Sub to monitors: Hosa Cable MCL 110 Series XLR

Current Software:

• iTunes 11 with BitPerfect (Tim Murison's app)

What I'm planning to save up for...

BitPerfect is a nice start (I still occasionally use it), but in my experience the other players, be it Audirvana+ (my favorite), Amarra, or PureMusic are still a step up. All have free trials. These could probably one of the most cost-effective upgrades you could do.

Great 1st setup, your next investment should be focused on AC POWER: cables, filters, regenerators and the like, its a pandora box, but 21years of learning experience in Audio has taught me that together with the room, a good source of power transforms good audio equipment into hifi.

PMC MB2S-A / Event Opal ← Audio Horizons TD3.1Sv custom Control DAC ← Berkeley Alpha USB ← Pure Music + ARC 2 ← MacMini i7 ← PS Audio P5 ← Xentek Extreme isolation transformer. Click here for cabling and other details

That's a great setup OP, keep going on your plan I would recommend the next DAC to be capable of DSD, there are now some 24 of them with just as many prices.

@ guydebord Totally agree on AC power. If you have a clean foundation, that nagging problem of noise and buzz is gone for good, so the components you upgrade have a better chance of sounding they are meant to, especially source components. I should have done this years ago. A lot more knowledge is out there and products to tame noise have matured. It's not only the one device but a combination is necessary.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

@ One and a half and @ guydebord - I appreciate the advice on power and building on top of a clean foundation. I'll start doing my research. Certainly open to suggestions and alternatives to the equipment I've studied thus far today that fit my budget.

Power conditioner

Power cables

The Schiit Magni headphone amp uses a 16VAC at 500mA external psu, so not sure yet on suitable upgrade for this...

The Pandora's Box slowly creeps open... :)

Personally I think you should do NOTHING for AT LEAST 6 months (excepting perhaps the headphone amplifier). For convenience of not switching cables - why not connect the monitors via balanced/XLR and the headphone amp via single ended/RCA (removes the need for the switch).

Spend lots of time enjoying your system and the music it produces. Stop chasing better, and start enjoying what you have.

Any other expenditure should be on music!

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Personally I think you should do NOTHING for AT LEAST 6 months (excepting perhaps the headphone amplifier). For convenience of not switching cables - why not connect the monitors via balanced/XLR and the headphone amp via single ended/RCA (removes the need for the switch).

Spend lots of time enjoying your system and the music it produces. Stop chasing better, and start enjoying what you have.

Any other expenditure should be on music!

Eloise

You're right but who wants a wet blanket.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

You're right but who wants a wet blanket.

No one wants a wet blanket - but sometimes people hung up on HiFi NEED a wet blanket. I've so often read posts from people who buy a big upgrade to their system, and because there is a level of improvement they want to improve again and again.

A kick up the ass, makes them assess and realise there is no point having a HiFi unless you are enjoying listening to music.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

No one wants a wet blanket - but sometimes people hung up on HiFi NEED a wet blanket. I've so often read posts from people who buy a big upgrade to their system, and because there is a level of improvement they want to improve again and again.

A kick up the ass, makes them assess and realise there is no point having a HiFi unless you are enjoying listening to music.

Eloise

The fun about all this is both for me: #1 rediscovering and enjoying my music and #2 appreciating the gadgets that comprise the quest to do so.

Although my recent replies may suggest otherwise, I've no intention to go out and spend everything I can all at once. Trust me, I've read the cautionary forum postings and taken heed to them (keep the focus on the music...not the tech...). I study technology, so the tech part *is* fun for me, but I'm not hung up on it. So, I can add stuff to my "wish list" and, as my budget permits do some more research and select a component here and there to suite my needs at the time. Certainly my experience will improve and I'll be able to make some solid judgements then (with everyone's help to keep everything in perspective). Thanks!

Thanks Eloise -- likely it'll be six months before I can make another round of investments, so in the interim, rest assured that I'll be enjoying my system, learning, and listening. But you're right about expenditures on music in the meantime. Smaller investments. Thus I'm now looking around at the hifi music sites for new artists to download (hifitracks.com being one so far).

Not "chasing better" is exactly part of what I research and teach to faculty -- to practice caution in adopting new technology too quickly without first clearly understanding the intended pedagogical purpose. Sometimes it just takes adjusting their method rather than buying new tech. New tech only helps if you can demonstrate a true need for it and know how to use it properly.

Anyway, I *do* appreciate your advice very much!

Regarding the cables: The sub and the monitors are already connected via balanced XLR to the DAC. So far so good there (the BlueJeans cables being the upgrade path). The headphone amp will have to be via RCA as you noticed, covered by the QED RCA cables.

The (eventual) need for the switch: The MF M1 DAC outputs to the XLR and RCA simultaneously (see post #4 here and tested myself). The Tannoys don't have a volume control, so they're active while listening to the FiiO headphone amp I now own. Right now, I simply turn the Tannoys off/on via a manual AC power switch. I was reading this forum regarding options and the suggestion was for the M-Patch passive switch (the M-Patch V2 being the newer version with more reliable components).

Sort of tagging on to wheat Eloise said, but for a slightly different reason. It sounds like your current system is still fairly new. Some of the components may take a while to settle in, and you should given them plenty of time before you evaluate them for a change.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Another suggestion - instead of the Shiit headphone amp, you could consider something like the Musical Fidelity M1HPA which will also operate as a preamp / volume control for your Tannoys.

Another possibility for later upgrades is to look at upgrading the speakers. Though as I say you should live with them for a while first.

Regarding suggestions of AC power regulation - are you in US or UK or somewhere else?

Eloise

Eloise

---

Some of the components may take a while to settle in, and you should given them plenty of time before you evaluate them for a change.

You're right. So far only about 20 hours of listening (I do a lot of work at home), so certainly the components have a ways to go before developing their full character.

Another suggestion - instead of the Shiit headphone amp, you could consider something like the Musical Fidelity M1HPA which will also operate as a preamp / volume control for your Tannoys. Another possibility for later upgrades is to look at upgrading the speakers. Though as I say you should live with them for a while first. Regarding suggestions of AC power regulation - are you in US or UK or somewhere else?

Eloise

Oh, I'm in the US. I had looked at the M1HPA awhile, but it was way out of my current budget. However, looking at the cost of the Schiit + MPatch2 + more cables (thus more parts in the chain), I can see where you're headed with recommending the M1HPA. However, that knocks out the balanced XLR cables between the DAC and the monitors, since the M1HPA only has RCA out.

Either way, It'll take awhile longer to save up of course, but would be nice to have matching components. Also, the reviews (just read this review on Computeraudiophile) seem really positive (as they are for the Schiit amp too). I'll need to find a local dealer where I can audition a few amps.

And of course, I just sold the FiiO amp...hmmm.

After selling the FiiO e17 headphone DAC/Amp today I decided to put the funds toward the Schiit Audio Asgard 2 headphone amp. It's brand new and on backorder, so no news yet. I debated between that and the less expensive Magni, but from what I've read, the Asgard 2 seemed fitting for my needs (specifically for low gain switch to run a pair of IEMs). The amp will connect to my MF M1DAC via QED Profile RCA cables.

Also, instead of the SM Pro Audio M-Patch V2 passive switch, I simplified by getting a TC Electronic Level Pilot to control volume directly inline with the XLR cable path between the DAC and monitors.

Will keep folks posted on how these work out.

Also, instead of the SM Pro Audio M-Patch V2 passive switch, I simplified by getting a TC Electronic Level Pilot to control volume directly inline with the XLR cable path between the DAC and monitors.

The Level Pilot arrived today and I must say, it's a nice little gadget. Very smooth operation and weighted so it doesn't slide around on my desk. So far, I've not noticed any issues affecting sound quality (but I'm new at this...). I now have all my digital volume controls set to max (iTunes, Audirvana+) and can do all the audio control through the analogue XLR path just before it reaches the sub and monitors.

Still waiting for the Schiit Asgard 2 to arrive, but it should be here by Saturday, so will report then.

. .

What I'm planning to save up for...

. . . .

I would not put an Airport Express i the digital signal path for several reasons:

• Increased jitter
  • Limitations in resolution
  • Possible drop outs

All the best

Peter

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

I would not put an Airport Express i the digital signal path for several reasons:

• Increased jitter
  • Limitations in resolution
  • Possible drop outs

All the best

Peter

Thanks Peter - That's what I understand about the drawbacks of using the AE. It's not my primary connection, however; rather, the primary is USB straight to the MF DAC. The AE is secondary and simply for convenience, i.e., so my wife can stream from her Mac in our shared office, or if I'm streaming off of my iPad.

The biggest improvement for least cost will always be the room. It is amazing that audiophiles spend thousands on cables and nothing on the room they are actually listening to.

Please share any suggestions you may have. I never indicated I wasn't planning to treat the room (again, it's part of my learning process...). I have yet to figure out what I want to do versus what my landlord will be okay with me doing (I live in an apartment and the room is a shared office with my wife). Some of the research I've done so far includes:

Of course, my budget is limited, so I'll be trying to see what I can do in stages that wil have the most effect for the investment.

Again, any suggestions are much appreciated! :)