IGNORED

SHM SACD's (Japan)

jtm

Hi folks,

I would like to know your opinions on the japanese SHM SACD releases (Super HighQuality Material).

Currently around 250 albums are listed, they retail at 4500 yen + 5% tax in Japan (equal to approx. 60 US$ or 45 EUR).

Some interesting titles in the release list (can be found e.g. at Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds or other online shops).

(Dire Straits, Stones, Black Sabbath, The Who, Police, Cream, ...)

Did you listen to any of these yet ?

How did you like the sound quality ?

Can you compare the SQ of those SHM SACDs with regular SACDs, CDs, vinyl, downloads in your collection ?

I wonder if the recent remastering for many of these titles from analog master tapes

(see SA-CD - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN)

and the better plastic material of the disc really outperform the existing releases.

From my last business trip to Japan I took the 1965 release of Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (SHM-SACD UCGU-9011) back home and this SHM sounds really GREAT on my SACD-player and my PS3 rip through Audirvana+/MacBook/TAD-C2000 (no native DSD unfortunately) even BETTER !

So how is your experience with any other title of these releases ?

Thanks for sharing your opinions !

Hi folks,

I would like to know your opinions on the japanese SHM SACD releases (Super HighQuality Material).

Currently around 250 albums are listed, they retail at 4500 yen + 5% tax in Japan (equal to approx. 60 US$ or 45 EUR).

Some interesting titles in the release list (can be found e.g. at Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds or other online shops).

(Dire Straits, Stones, Black Sabbath, The Who, Police, Cream, ...)

Did you listen to any of these yet ?

How did you like the sound quality ?

Can you compare the SQ of those SHM SACDs with regular SACDs, CDs, vinyl, downloads in your collection ?

I wonder if the recent remastering for many of these titles from analog master tapes

(see SA-CD - UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN)

and the better plastic material of the disc really outperform the existing releases.

From my last business trip to Japan I took the 1965 release of Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests (SHM-SACD UCGU-9011) back home and this SHM sounds really GREAT on my SACD-player and my PS3 rip through Audirvana+/MacBook/TAD-C2000 (no native DSD unfortunately) even BETTER !

So how is your experience with any other title of these releases ?

Thanks for sharing your opinions !

I own several of this SHM SACDs and also some Blue Spec CDs and honestly I'm really disappointed with both: The exotic price doesn't justify their SQ. If the recording is mediocre the SQ is mediocre (as always).

If I have the chance to have the original SACD or CD (and I have several with this situation), I will stay with the original most of the time.

I believe their only merit is to get to the market out of print SACDs and CDs.

My humble opinion,

Roch

They cost too much and I don't care for the packaging, but I have been generally pleased with all that I have purchased. Most aren't futzed with too much, and often they purport to use the original masters. The Stones and Who releases seem to be well regarded. I enjoy the Sabbath discs as well, though some have complained about the sound of a few, such as Paranoid. Check out the descriptions at CD Japan.

I bought the Dire Straits SHM SACDs and was very pleased with the result. I must add that I did not put the bar very high: what I wanted was a recording without dynamic compression allowing me to experience again the true sound of Dire Straits after I became sick of the atrocious dynamic-range compression on the current mainstream CD versions of their albums.

I've heard the Stones and the Who, they sounded good to me. They are very pricey, though.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have many of them.... they are the most time the best digital versions I have, because many of them a just a flat transfer from the mastertapes (what gen copy - ok, that's another story). But there are of course some stinker in there.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid is on of them...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Here we are, with three essential comments IMHO:

Roch, I couldn't agree more on your statement:

"I own several of this SHM SACDs and also some Blue Spec CDs and honestly I'm really disappointed with both: The exotic price doesn't justify their SQ. If the recording is mediocre the SQ is mediocre (as always)."

Boris, that's what I was looking for (the first 4 DS albums are my long-time guitar favourites):

"I bought the Dire Straits SHM SACDs and was very pleased with the result."

Firedog, your comment was the ignition for my post:

"They are very pricey, though."

Now this leads to my other question:

If you compare this SHM SACD quality to the existing releases in your library, and taking into account the high price for these discs (let's assume we will never get them much cheaper outside of japan) ... would you continue looking for new releases and buy them or would recommend a purchase of such discs to someone looking for a decent digital version he can play with his computer-based rig ?

Let's face the situation - when will we see these Dire Straits, Black Sabbath, Who ... and others on HDtracks, highresaudio or somewhere else ... ?

Boris, that's what I was looking for (the first 4 DS albums are my long-time guitar favourites):

"I bought the Dire Straits SHM SACDs and was very pleased with the result."

Firedog, your comment was the ignition for my post:

"They are very pricey, though."

If you compare this SHM SACD quality to the existing releases in your library, and taking into account the high price for these discs (let's assume we will never get them much cheaper outside of japan) ... would you continue looking for new releases and buy them or would recommend a purchase of such discs to someone looking for a decent digital version he can play with his computer-based rig ?

This thread made my listen again to DS' Making Movies (SHM SACD) yesterday, and I got a lot of enjoyment from it. For me it is worth the price. In this collection I also bought the self-titled album, Communique and Love over Gold, and recommend them all.

Let's face the situation - when will we see these Dire Straits, Black Sabbath, Who ... and others on HDtracks, highresaudio or somewhere else ... ?

If you want to play the SHM SACD discs with your computer, you need an old playstation to rip them. Good sites for reviews are sa-cd.net and the Steve Hofmann forum. I have several of the recommended discs from Cream, Dire Straits, The Who, Roling Stones, Stevie Wonder.

"Tommy" for example is imho the best version available. I also have the mfsl gold cd and the Universal sacd. You can download the Stevie Wonder albums from HD tracks but i prefer the SHM SACD. The discs are expensive but if you buy the good ones they are worth every penny. As always, ymmv.

Ripping: PC with Win7 64bit and dbpoweramp reference | Music: MacMini 2011 | 16GB | Crucial 512GB SSD | Sierra | LaCie d2 Thunderbolt 6TB | La Rosita Beta New with La Rosita iTunes Plug-In | Pioneer BDP-LX88 | Rega RP6 with Ortofon 2M Black | Rega Aria MC/MM | Ayre AX-7e | Ayre Codex | Hifiman HE-400i | Mulidine Cadence |

I have about 6 titles - all 1970's and 80's recordings. I really like how they have done the Police and Queen. I find the mastering job they have done for those is excellent - and better than the regular release of SACD several years ago.

As an SACD fan - I would happily pick up copies of what I don't already own, and love on that medium. Not sure I'd plop money down on risk. I have heard mixed reviews. My reviews are all good, though.

--

Audio System: Mac Mini (w/Roon) -> USB -> NAD Masters M51 -> Ayre K-5xeMP -> Ayre V-5xe -> Thiel CS3.7's