IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 2 weeks later...

@wklie Hi Peter,

I’m a long time Lumïn app and Minimserver user but didn’t noticed a little bug:

when browsing in Minimserver by albums it happens that sometimes the AlbumArtist is shown as “surname, name” as it is written in the tag and other times it is shown as “name, surname”, the latter case does not exist in my tags, in Minimserver there is no instruction to reverse surname with name.

I’m quite convinced this can be a Lumïn app bug as the same result in Linn app, or Kazoo, is always as it should be (i.e. “surname, name”)

You can see in the attached screenshots what happens in Lumïn app (dark) and Linn app (white).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

… edit …

sorting is anyway correct, in the screenshots example:

Bach

Barber

Bartok

………….

110ADD62-2660-4D3E-91FF-2BB35FC80BFC.jpeg

A4967EBF-BCB7-4617-B00B-624719414EAC.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Spacecase said:

So just to be clear, your solution is to completely negate 90% of the effort and design that's gone into Lumin?

Absolutely not. I love Lumïn, streamer and app.

I’m just suggesting a way to obtain what is (still) not available in Lumïn, after all Lumïn itself strongly suggest to use Minimserver to manage the library as it is way more configurable than the streamer itself.

Minimserver offers al lot of options that probably won’t be never available in Lumïn firmware.

Lumïn guys have done a great job offering such a perfect integration with Minimserver, why not use it? Minimserver is very cheap but can really maximize the experience with a Lumïn streamer.

Stefano

My audio system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@BtrailYou should read carefully here , first unfolding can be done by sw players like Roon, Audirvana and others, and by streamers without dac (like Lumïn U1/U2 Mini), they are core decoder, subsequent unfoldings can be done only by dacs or streamers with “embedded” dac that are MQA renderer or full decoder.

Therefore Lumïn U1/U2 Mini can do just the first unfolding, they cannot send to a dac a fully decoded/unfolded MQA

Stefano

My audio system

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NikosTsaf said:

How possible is to use lumin app on tablet or smartphone and use the minimserver in qnap music library to playback music on headphones.via bluetooth

On iOS you should use MConnect Player, quite sure it’s impossible with Lumïn app as it cannot play locally and it’s impossible with Linn or Kazoo for the same reason.

Stefano

My audio system

7 hours ago, DuckToller said:

the Lumin app is a controller that supports Lumin renderer only

@nikolaos1969
I’m using it with :

• SOtM sMS200/MPD&Dlna 
  • rpi4/RoPieeeXL/UPNP&DLNA 
  • HQPlayer embedded

… it works flawlessly 

But Bubbleupnpserver is needed for OpenHome compatibility 

7 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Not sure if it's necessary to open any port on your NAS if minim server is already running in your local network

No need to open any specific port … I’m running Minimserver too

Stefano

My audio system

4 minutes ago, gbr said:

If this is not the case you need the BubbleUPnPServer as openhome proxy in front of the streamer

Of course, as I specified in my previous post

5 minutes ago, gbr said:

Unfortunately at least in my case the lumin app looses connection to the BubbleUPnPServer very often, so you have to swipe the lumin app off and restart it.

It does unfortunately, anyway Lumïn is way better in terms of library browsing, overall for the easy way to find, from the track details, all the albums related to a specific artist (and with some special configuration of Minimserver the same can be done for Conductor, Works, Solists, etc …). Linn app shows the artists in the detail of each track too but unfortunately it has a bug for which if you tap on any artist the search result is always for the first artist … I contacted Linn and suggested them to solve this bug but it seems they don’t care of it … therefore … long life to Lumïn app

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nikolaos1969 said:

But if someone wants to use another player such as HQ, or Jriver or RoPiee, Linn Kazoo it can be done but only via WiFi. But that is not lossless sound

I’m using Lumïn app with RoPieeeXL, HQPlayer embedded and SOtM sMS200 and it works very well (using Bubbleupnpserver), and it is lossless . What do you mean saying “Kazoo only via Wi-Fi”? … Lumïn app too is only wifi …
A control point app cannot be lossy or lossless, it is just a remote command

… and if you use JRiver as a renderer it works with Lumïn too.

1 hour ago, nikolaos1969 said:

how many albums the lumin app supports or in other words is it possible to add 2,5 TB

My library is more or less 11000 albums on 8TB hdd and on my iPhone 7 and iPad 5gen works fine, both devices are running the last iOS/iPadOS.

I have a iPad 2gen and Lumïn cannot load on it the full library, it stops at 9000 albums.

Stefano

My audio system

53 minutes ago, NikosTsaf said:

If I want to use kazoo I have to downloaded on my desktop pc. Then Kazoo application is correlated to lumin app. The playback software kazoo is embedded on my desktop not on lumin equipment.

In that scenario Kazoo desktop is acting like Lumïn app on a Mac M1/M2 (as @wklie just specified) and you need to use Bubbleupnpserver if not using a Lumïn streamer.

In my scenario I use Minimserver as media server and Bubbleupnpserver as OpenHome emulator, in this scenario I can use Lumïn app or Linn Kazoo app on my iPad, so it is exactly the same … except that using a desktop app is not so comfortable as using a tablet.

5 hours ago, wklie said:

This is not technically completely true.  Some wired scenarios include:

1. Lumin iOS app on Mac M1 on Ethernet.

2. Lumin iOS app on iPad wired using additional hardware accessories.  A 6moons review did that once.

3. Lumin Android app on Android emulator on Windows on Ethernet.

I know but I find those scenarios not so comfortable 

5 hours ago, wklie said:

By the way, with a large size library, MinimServer requires manual configuration

Of course, a large library on Minimserver make sense only if you have all your files/albums fully tagged, this allow you to get the best experience from Minimserver.

Stefano

My audio system