IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

We are all probably talking about 180 degrees of phase shift here so reverse, inverted, etc.  Shakespeare may have said it best when he wrote "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

15 hours ago, brw said:

I am thinking Lumin’s “Invert Phase” app setting, along with the button on components that implement it – preamps, (SA)CD players, etc. –  might be more accurately labeled “Reverse Polarity”.

Thanks.  I read another article on this, and I guess I understand how they are different.  Calling it reverse polarity also helps reduce the potential confusion with "out of phase".

I also surveyed several other audiophile brands, as well as Roon DSP Engine, they all use the term "phase" instead of polarity (in at least one case, the two words appear in the documentation interchangeably).

By the way, Lumin Invert Phase setting works on both XLR and RCA analog outputs (not USB / BNC / coax / AES / toslink digital output).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Since Lumin recommends Minim Server, I have a question. When I create a folder containing tracks from different albums, the tracks are played in alphabetical order of the albums. This does not occur with the Asset UPnP server. How can I set the Minim Server to play tracks in numbered order?

Changing the default way MinimServer presents the information to controllers such as the Lumin app requires you to get the paid full license option or the free 30 day trial license option for MinimServer:

https://minimserver.com/licensing.html

This will then allow you to fully access MinimServer's property settings, which includes changing its default Folder view order - via the sortTags option of MinimServer's tagOptions property. See:

https://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html#Selection choices

Folder view. This choice is displayed as [folder view] and is shown only in the home container. If you select this, you'll see each of the contentDir directories (folders) as a list of subfolders followed by any playlists in the folder and any items in the folder. Selecting any subfolder shows its subfolders, playlists and items in a similar format. By default, folder items are sorted first by album name, then by track number, then by track title. This ordering can be changed as described in the List sort order section.

https://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html#List sort order

The sortTags option can also be used to specify an ordered list of tags to be used for sorting the list of items within a folder in folder view or the list of items in the <n> items list. You can also use other settings in the tagOptions property to change the sort order of some lists. See the Tag options section for details.

https://minimserver.com/ug-library.html#Tag options

sortTags

In addition, it can be used for item comparisons in folder view by using the special value 'folder' or '[folder]' as the tag name and it can be used for item comparisons in the <n> items list by using the special value 'items' or '[items]' as the tag name. For example, to sort folder items by the Date and Title tags, you can specify the option folder.sortTags={Date, Title}.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you Cebolla for your detailled reply. Unfortunatelly I can‘t solve the problem. I couldn‘t find out, which is the correct setting to sort the tracks in a folder with different album names without sorting them by alphabetical album order. I’d like to have an order by the numbers of the tracks in my folder wihout erasing the album names.

I don't know if I was able to make myself understood.🤔

3 minutes ago, Lmn said:

I’d like to have an order by the numbers of the tracks in my folder wihout erasing the album names.

It seems that that folder is something like a playlist, why don’t you use the playlist feature in Lumïn app where you can add tracks in any order you like (up to 2000 tracks for each playlist)

Or you can ask Simon (Minimserver developer) in his forum for another possible solution 

Stefano

My audio system

17 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Changing the default way MinimServer presents the information to controllers such as the Lumin app requires you to get the paid full license option

I do not have full option on MinimServer but my tunes are played in order from net streaming or from my NAS. That kind of issues (for ripped or downloads), I fix in programs like MP3Tag editor where I can change/add playing order, album title, main artist, improved image of album, genre etc. Its an excellent tool for keeping good order in your catalogue and in the presentation on Lumin.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:52 PM, Lmn said:

How can I set the Minim Server to play tracks in numbered order?

As Minimserver can use m3u playlists you could create a playlist using MP3tag (for example, if you are on Windows) and store it in any folder watched by Minimserver, it will show up in a specific index named “n playlists” where “n” is the number of m3u files discovered.

Another suggestion is to browse Minimserver by folders using the special index [folder view] that is the last Minimserver index in the very first page of your app

Stefano

My audio system

11 hours ago, Ropet said:

I do not have full option on MinimServer but my tunes are played in order from net streaming or from my NAS. That kind of issues (for ripped or downloads), I fix in programs like MP3Tag editor where I can change/add playing order, album title, main artist, improved image of album, genre etc. Its an excellent tool for keeping good order in your catalogue and in the presentation on Lumin.

Not sure what this has to do with my reply to @Lmn's issue.  MinimServer's full options are not for fixing problems with music file tags themselves - MinimServer does not come with a tag editor, not even with the full license.

It goes without saying that to avoid catalogue inconsistency problems with any media server, you should make sure the music file tags are in good order - making use of a tag editor, such as the excellent free MP3Tag, as required.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

13 hours ago, Lmn said:

Thank you Cebolla for your detailled reply. Unfortunatelly I can‘t solve the problem. I couldn‘t find out, which is the correct setting to sort the tracks in a folder with different album names without sorting them by alphabetical album order. I’d like to have an order by the numbers of the tracks in my folder wihout erasing the album names.

I don't know if I was able to make myself understood.🤔

image.png.fd9049744979d7a661d14b80ba762e32.png

I thought I had understood the issue - please correct me if this isn't so:

- your music file tracks are stored in various folders in the storage drive;

- you have structured it such that you can have music file tracks in the same folder from different albums;

- you want to use the media server's folder view in the controller app (like in the Lumin app image above), so that you can select the file tracks to play from one particular folder that you've navigated to;

- you want the order of the tracks of the navigated folder to be sorted by Tracknumber (then Title?) order (as Asset UPnP does) and not as MinimServer does by default (Album then Tracknumber then Title order).

If that is the case then perhaps you couldn't quite work out what you need to do from the MinimServer user guide instructions that I quoted.

Simply put, assuming that you have either activated the trial or the full license, just add folder.sortTags={Tracknumber,Title} to the tagFormat property:

image.png

If you hadn't already guessed, the default value for folder.sortTags is {Album,Tracknumber,Title}, but this is implied when folder.sortTags is blank (isn't in the tagFormat property).

-- Jo Cox

@CJA from another thread:

if I can finally use my Lumin L1 library and stream it to my Lumin A1 in another location. I've been fighting with the settings to be able to stream from the L1 from a remote location.

First make sure L1 is working correctly, and Lumin app has loaded its database.

In the router where L1 is part of the network of, reserve an IP address for the L1 in the DHCP reservation table, open a port forward for 24000 to L1 local IP address port 24000, and find out its router WAN IP address.  You may apply for a Dynamic DNS for it.

In Lumin app, if you want to stream L1 from a remote location to your local A1, turn on Remote Access, enter the L1 router WAN IP (or Dynamic DNS) and 24000 into Lumin L1 Remote Host and Remote Port respectively.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

8 hours ago, wklie said:

In the router where L1 is part of the network of, reserve an IP address for the L1 in the DHCP reservation table, open a port forward for 24000 to L1 local IP address port 24000, and find out its router WAN IP address.  You may apply for a Dynamic DNS for it.

In Lumin app, if you want to stream L1 from a remote location to your local A1, turn on Remote Access, enter the L1 router WAN IP (or Dynamic DNS) and 24000 into Lumin L1 Remote Host and Remote Port respectively.

Thanks, I think I'm on the right track. I think I had inadvertently changed and not re-checked settings each time I had tried to access the L1 remotely. I had previously asked you about this on Audioshark and I'll reach out over there if I need more help. Every time I think I need to ask for more guidance, I find something wrong on my end.

I've double checked my router and L1 settings so am optimistic that this may work in the upcoming week. 

Thanks again!

8 hours ago, wklie said:

You may apply for a Dynamic DNS for it.

....enter the L1 router WAN IP (or Dynamic DNS)

This is the last open question I have yet to resolve - whether or not I have the proper WAN IP/Dynamic DNS; I think all the other settings are correct at this point. I'll be checking late next week.

Thank you for your help!

Status of Lumin playing Tidal Hi-Res FLAC:

I have been asking Tidal to provide the technical resources to allow for Lumin app playback of Tidal Hi-Res FLAC via Tidal native API, and for Lumin Tidal Connect.  Until this happens, Lumin playback of Tidal remains the same as before.  Tidal MAX albums will usually become MQA instead of the new Hi-Res FLAC versions.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lumin L1 Firmware 4.0 2023-8-2
- Add app-based Reset Database function (require latest LUMIN app)
- Auto rebuild app database if IP address is changed
- Improve folder view (require latest LUMIN app)
- Improve concurrent access stability

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 8/4/2023 at 9:07 AM, wklie said:

Hi Peter if the local network is down (no internet service) is it possible to power on lumin U1 mini streamer via mobile hot spot for radio stations playback or even upload NAS via minimserver.

Thanks

Nikos

Even if the internet is down, it has always have been possible to use Lumin in a private local network as long as you have a WiFi router.  You should be able to play from MinimServer or a USB drive.

Internet radio, streaming Tidal / Qobuz / Spotify would not be possible without internet.

It is possible, however, to use your cell phone to provide internet access to your audio setup if your router supports using cell phone 4G via USB.  We have been doing audio shows this way in recent years.  Last year our NAS broke down in Hong Kong audio show, so 100% of our show was streamed via mobile internet - including MinimServer access over the internet.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, wklie said:

Even if the internet is down, it has always have been possible to use Lumin in a private local network as long as you have a WiFi router.  You should be able to play from MinimServer or a USB drive.

Internet radio, streaming Tidal / Qobuz / Spotify would not be possible without internet.

It is possible, however, to use your cell phone to provide internet access to your audio setup if your router supports using cell phone 4G via USB.  We have been doing audio shows this way in recent years.  Last year our NAS broke down in Hong Kong audio show, so 100% of our show was streamed via mobile internet - including MinimServer access over the internet.

Can you pls elaborate