IGNORED

Album Art: What size?

JeffH

What size album art do you use for your collection and why?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me not only the size but the DPI is also important. 200 dpi or better is what i like because if something happen with the originals i can print myself another one.

Office system: Win7 64, foobar2000 w. Darkone v.3.0.1, M2Tech HiFace2, Parasound Zdac, Parasound Zpre2, Parasound Zamp v3, modified Heybrook HB1.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother. -- Albert Einstein

I don't have a specific size. It is more where I can find it readily. Usually go to Amazon if the server does not automatically get it, and that is plenty large enough.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I voted 600 x 600 because the vast majority of my library has that size but I recently switched to 1000 x 1000 because I began displaying on a 64 inch screen thinking that might be better but my 600 x 600 look fine. I compare choices of covers carefully and although many times a higher resolution is a better choice you have to be careful because a poor scan looks bad at any size and resolution.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I use 750x750, which appears to be the maximum size for dBpoweramp.

I search for the cover art first on AlbumArtExchange.com, then on Google Images then Amazon.com. For the really obscure stuff, I photograph the cover and adjust in Photoshop (actually, I usually use Digital Light & Color's Picture Window software).

If the image i find needs resizing, I do it outside of dBpoweramp. My thinking is that dedicated image processing software is more accurate at resizing than audio ripping software.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I voted "don't care" which isn't entirely accurate ... but what I will say is that having accurate cover art is more important than the size - ideally 600x600 or larger.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

600sq for me. Pixel size isn't a guarantee of quality, as already mentioned. Also huge sizes can be a pain if you use remote on your iPad. Quality is improving, but there sure are a lot of bad scans/files out there, even with iTunes, where you'd assume the have access to proper artwork.

If you are viewing artwork on a laptop in thumbnails size is probably not important but if you are viewing full screen on an HDTV or even on a tablet it does matter unless you enjoy pixelated and blotchy images. iTunes has improved the quality of their artwork pretty dramatically in my opinion to the point that it is my third source behind Album Art Exchange and Google Images. I would say that 90% of their images are 600 x 600 and decent quality. I have also just noticed that the display of artwork in iTunes 11 seems more revealing that previous "full sized" images in Cover Flow.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa