IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Another question, forgive me if it has been addressed before, I couldn't find anything, is there a sample limit to the files that can be streamed to an NAA? I have playback great with DSD 64 & 128, can't stream above that rate.

Up to 1536/32 PCM and DSD512 in current version, but I can add DSD1024 or higher PCM rates easily when such becomes available...

NAA protocol itself doesn't have practically any rate limits.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Redbook>DSD1024 with Poly-sinc = new MacPro or other super-computers only need apply? :)

DSD512 is now completely feasible with -2s variants, maybe DSD1024 too with the 4790K or one of the new Haswell-E's with larger caches, faster RAM and more cores:

AnandTech | The Intel Haswell-E CPU Review: Core i7-5960X, i7-5930K and i7-5820K Tested

But at least by Moore's law, latest in two years... ;)

And at that rate Miska, would we getting close to where just an analog LPF would be sufficient as the DAC?

DSC1 has only analog LPF and has very low noise levels already at DSD256/512 and better than most other DACs already at DSD128.

Miska, can you help me to find a solution?

On my macmini, late 2012, i run OSX alongside Ubuntu studio 14.04. The macmini is my main audio and I run HQP very satisfactory on it in Ubuntu.

Now I have an cubox-i as NAA with an ifi nano dsd attached. In preferences i choose NAA and i see the ifi dac, i choose it, try to play music, but nothing happens. The counter stays on 0:00. If i go back to preferences the ifi is gone and only returns when I reboot the macmini.That doesn solve the problem and the same thing happens again.

On the same macmini, now booted in OSX, both coreaudio and naa work very well. Also from another computer on the network, an imac with the same ubuntu version ALSA and NAA work great...

What do you think could be wrong? In what direction do I need to look the solution?

Thanks in advance

Johan

Now I have an cubox-i as NAA with an ifi nano dsd attached. In preferences i choose NAA and i see the ifi dac, i choose it, try to play music, but nothing happens. The counter stays on 0:00. If i go back to preferences the ifi is gone and only returns when I reboot the macmini.That doesn solve the problem and the same thing happens again.

On the same macmini, now booted in OSX, both coreaudio and naa work very well. Also from another computer on the network, an imac with the same ubuntu version ALSA and NAA work great...

What do you think could be wrong? In what direction do I need to look the solution?

Could be a driver problem with the ethernet adapter used on the Mac Mini. Does network overall work OK on that machine? After the problem has appeared there, does other network functionality still work (like google.com on browser)? Could be that a certain networking feature used for NAA causes the driver or ethernet adapter to lock up or become otherwise confused. May not happen on normal web browsing use...

Log file of entire session until failure on that machine could help (please don't post logs here, use email instead).

Could be a driver problem with the ethernet adapter used on the Mac Mini. Does network overall work OK on that machine? After the problem has appeared there, does other network functionality still work (like google.com on browser)? Could be that a certain networking feature used for NAA causes the driver or ethernet adapter to lock up or become otherwise confused. May not happen on normal web browsing use...

Log file of entire session until failure on that machine could help (please don't post logs here, use email instead).

Thank you so much again. I take a look into that this weekend and If i cant find IT myself send you the log.

Hello Miska,

a little embarrased here. Read the log file as you recommended. Seemed I had 2 wire enabled. That was the problem. Everything works fine now! Thanks again for the help.

Johan

I have now updated the CuBox-i image at the usual place.

Thanks Miska. Should we expect any SQ difference with the new NAA build?

And any chance you have made the bot a bit more patient in waiting for a IP from my slow (DSL router/modem) DHCP server?

[As you may recall, connection to my Cisco switch slows down the IP assignment long enough that your Linux gives up; NAA works for me only when wired directly to the DSL modem. Same for both CuBox-i and Mac NAA images from you, whereas all other Linux I have booted from work fine through the switch. Has nobody else reported this sort of thing to you?]

Should we expect any SQ difference with the new NAA build?

I didn't notice any with the hiFace DAC I have connected to it... (combo is small enough to hide behind Xbox360 in the living room)

And any chance you have made the bot a bit more patient in waiting for a IP from my slow (DSL router/modem) DHCP server?

I didn't pay any special attention to this area, but the software components have been updated to newer versions throughout.

You are not the only one. My SOtM sMS100 needs to be directly connected as well.

Thanks Miska. Should we expect any SQ difference with the new NAA build?

[As you may recall, connection to my Cisco switch slows down the IP assignment long enough that your Linux gives up; NAA works for me only when wired directly to the DSL modem. Same for both CuBox-i and Mac NAA images from you, whereas all other Linux I have booted from work fine through the switch. Has nobody else reported this sort of thing to you?]

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You are not the only one. My SOtM sMS100 needs to be directly connected as well.

That's good to know Forrest.

I forgot which processor the sMS-100 is based on. I know it is an ARM, but what OS build and NAA do you use in it? I imagine the latest image from Jussi for CuBox-i won't work for you. So I guess it is up to me to try the new image out on my CuBox-i4Pro and see if it will work through my Ethernet switch. If it does, then maybe that will inspire Miska to update his AMD64 and other builds.

Regards,

AJC

Up to 1536/32 PCM and DSD512 in current version, but I can add DSD1024 or higher PCM rates easily when such becomes available...

Double that and we are already at 100MHz DSD :)

I guess the next stop after that is 1GHz DSD..... but for transmitting this type of signal to the DAC we would need a 10GbE interface :)

This switch stuff is strange, it really shouldn't affect DHCP. I have managed (smart) gigabit switches from HP, Cisco and Netgear here and no issues. No issues with the dumb ones either.

My DHCP server runs on a PC-based Unix server machine (along with DNS server etc).

Just for the record, I have three (3) switches between my office and the NAA in living room...

Just for the record, I have three (3) switches between my office and the NAA in living room...

Yes, but which device is your DHCP server? I think the problem is not the switches, it is that my DSL modem/router is at slow end of the acceptable spec (JS explained this to me in more technical terms), and that the extra time through the switch is long enough for the Linux to time out waiting for a lease. I know my DSL router is slow because on my other machines, when I renew the DHCP lease, there is a slight lag--more so that with other systems I have experienced.

I will try to gather more data for you on this.

Thanks,

--Alex