IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, denniswaugh said:

hqplayer-embedded-4.22.3-raspberrypi4 img works fine

If this works fine as a NAA, you can use it instead.

You can disable HQPlayer Embedded on it by running command "systemctl disable hqplayerd ; systemctrl stop hqplayerd". Once that has been done, it is just somewhat bigger, but otherwise similar to the NAA image. But more up to date OS due to more frequent release schedule of HQPlayer Embedded.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, denniswaugh said:

Thank you for this information.

How do I log into the naa to issue the commands.

Web browser obviously takes me to the embedded interface and when I try PuTTY I get the message "connection refused".

While I think of it, could you tell me the username + password for when I can access the naa endpoint.

From local console, with username "root" and no password. There's no remote access such as SSH for security reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Triplefun said:

Can I attach more than  one dac to the NAA or do I need a separate NAA for each DAC?

Yes you can, although currently limitation is that you can access only of the DACs at a time. If each is behind it's own NAA, you can access all simultaneously. But that would mean you would have as many HQPlayer instances too.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, semente said:

@Miska if it's not to much trouble, how do I edit your "Cubox" image to disable HDMI, optical and Wi-Fi?

You need "rfkill" to disable WiFi, but I don't think I've included it on the image. For HDMI and optical I think you need to rebuild the kernel with those drivers disabled. But I think that had some side effects, at least I think HDMI driver was needed for the optical to be active.

So practically you'd need to build your own image.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ted_b said:

@Miska  The Hypsos looks very intriguing.  Have you played with the Voltage Adjustment, and if so, heard a sweetspot even for something as low power as an NAA?

UP-Board is specified for 5V, there's nothing to play with. I don't want to feed it over-voltage and burn it. I have burned enough many of similar SBC's by accidentally connecting a 9V or 12V PSU... :D

This is very simple, set-and-forget.

Hypsos has predefined settings for number of devices you can select from the setup menu. But this one is through custom settings.

19 hours ago, Bertel said:

I think you have been using a Teddy Pardo PSU before as well for the UP Gateway as NAA, right? (That's what I still do at the moment) Would you say that in comparison the Hypsos is an improvement, in SQ or otherwise?

I've been using Meanwell medical grade PSU. Wanted to get a Teddy Pardo for a long time, but never got around ordering one. But I know many have been using Teddy Pardo.

Hypsos is perfect for me, also because it has adjustable output voltage, so I can swap different kinds of NAA's in while keeping the same PSU.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, NoNaim said:

I was considering This One without a fan. Would that work ok? Or, is it better to go for This One with the fan? 

Without fan is kind of better for this use (small fans can be loud), and NAA doesn't cause a lot of CPU load. Just make sure you have decent heatsink kit on the RPi4 chipset. Based on the picture it should fit.

3 minutes ago, NoNaim said:

Is the file "naa-4122-raspberrypi4.7z" the most up to date version for the pi-4?

Yes, that's the one.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, Johnseye said:

Jussi @Miska, I believe you use Debian based Linux for your NAA.  Does Debian natively support DSD1024 and 1536 PCM or did you need to modify it to support those frequencies?  I currently must use your NAA in order to upsample to 1536 PCM.

No it doesn't, because you need a custom kernel for that.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Would you be willing to share your kernel customization in the spirit of open source with Pierro & Zeljko so that they can support HQPlayer upsampling to DSD1024 and 1536 PCM?  

Why? They can of course do their homework... ;)

I did mine when I implemented support for it.

2 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

...BUT if you have modified some part of a kernel module or application that was released under a variant of GPL you should make the source available, I think.

For example you can download exact source tarballs of my custom Ubuntu/Debian kernels from the same place where the .deb packages are. You just need to extract the package, and run "make oldconfig ; make bindeb-pkg" to get the same .deb packages I've built.

Unlike many other vendors who ship Linux-based products, I comply with the GPL requirements.

42 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I guess if that's the way you view the inclusion and use of HQPlayer in their platforms.

I should do their work for free, for them, so they can charge money for it? Come on please...

When they ship HQPlayer on their platform, they are primarily responsible for supporting HQPlayer on their platform.

I'm well busy enough working on my products on the platforms I support.