IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

14 hours ago, sup27606 said:

It sounds like a network speed issue, although another MacBook Pro on the same LAN network works fine as NAA using 768 khz. I wonder, is this a known issue with RPI4, that 768 kHz sampling rate is too high to work over wifi, that only ethernet is workable? I am using Dietpi OS. Thank you for your responses.

It may be similar buffer overflow - resend issue as commonly happens with those small CPUs on Ethernet if 802.3x flow control (aka pause frames) is not active.

You could try setting HQPlayer output Buffer time to 10 ms and see if it makes any change.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

9 hours ago, Miska said:

It may be similar buffer overflow - resend issue as commonly happens with those small CPUs on Ethernet if 802.3x flow control (aka pause frames) is not active.

You could try setting HQPlayer output Buffer time to 10 ms and see if it makes any change.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. I tested with buffer time of 10 ms and didn't make any difference. Please note, this issue is only with the wifi. I took it to the router and connected using ethernet and the problem went away. However, since the router is in a different room, its not practical.

I was also looking to find out if anyone else tested the rpi4 as NAA with 768 kHz upsampling over wifi. Trying to make sure if its a general issue or only me. I understand, its probably more common to use NAA through ethernet.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I just posted release announcement!

Do NAA devices like T+A SDV 3100 HV need to be updated?

• 3 weeks later...

Could somebody explain to me why hqplayer embedded insists on seeing these goofy ass sample rates when I've tried explicitly blocking them in every config file I can find?

2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 32000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 64000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 128000

When using auto sample rate it's picking up this nonsense instead of multiples of 44.1 & 48k :S

If it's really hard wired into the code then let us choose a dummy or "none" output and use our own programs to route hqplayers audio output perhaps?

15 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

Could somebody explain to me why hqplayer embedded insists on seeing these goofy ass sample rates when I've tried explicitly blocking them in every config file I can find?

2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 32000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 64000
  2023/08/19 20:28:54 ALSA input rate available: 128000

Why do you think those are goofy? Those are completely standard ones. And your input device seems to support those.

When using auto sample rate it's picking up this nonsense instead of multiples of 44.1 & 48k :S

Ask your ALSA device, that's what it advertises.

If it's really hard wired into the code then let us choose a dummy or "none" output and use our own programs to route hqplayers audio output perhaps?

Above you show input device stuff and now you talk about output? Can you explain more about the case?

You have option to select [none] as input backend. And you have option to select Null output backend. Although null output backend is mostly useful for benchmarking purposes.

HQPlayer wants to have direct low level access to the actual input and output hardware (D/A conversion stage), that's why there's nothing to "route".

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Why do you think those are goofy? Those are completely standard ones. And your input device seems to support those.

Ask your ALSA device, that's what it advertises.

Above you show input device stuff and now you talk about output? Can you explain more about the case?

You have option to select [none] as input backend. And you have option to select Null output backend. Although null output backend is mostly useful for benchmarking purposes.

The issue is that when using "auto" sample rate option it is preferring multilples of 32000, which is goofy considering the Pi DAC I'm using isn't supposed to be able to compatible with those. I've blocked all such rates except multiples of 44.1/48 in config files and hqplayer is ignoring that. I'm using Pipewire on top of ALSA.

In hqplayer embedded I am not seeing a "Null" option on the output page. Input set ot auto is picking up these goofy rates.

3 minutes ago, privacyguy123 said:

I'm using Pipewire on top of ALSA.

That's your problem then... You are just spoiling entire point of HQPlayer by putting Pipewire in the middle.

8 kHz sampling rate is standard sampling rate for mobile phone calls and also for old wired phone networks. Newer wideband audio calls use 16 kHz sampling rate and then modern audio/video calls over internet use 32 kHz sampling rate for voice, called "ultra-wideband audio".

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

That's your problem then... You are just spoiling entire point of HQPlayer by putting Pipewire in the middle.

8 kHz sampling rate is standard sampling rate for mobile phone calls and also for old wired phone networks. Newer wideband audio calls use 16 kHz sampling rate and then modern audio/video calls over internet use 32 kHz sampling rate for voice, called "ultra-wideband audio".

I understand this to an extent, but I am using a 192khz Hifiberry DAC inside of a Pi and capturing audio from outside sources, like Tidal Connect and Spotify Connect, routing it through Hqplayer Embedded for the upsampling and out to speakers. In all the jumbled spaghetti code and config files in Linux there must be a way to block out this 32000 nonsense?

Is there a better way to run a Pi with hqlayer embedded as a "poor mans M-scaler" ? It seems I am not the only one on the internet doing something similar but ALSA backend is the bottleneck, it seems.

1 minute ago, privacyguy123 said:

I understand this to an extent, but I am using a 192khz Hifiberry DAC inside of a Pi to capture audio from outside sources, like Tidal Connect and Spotify, routing it through hqplayer and out to speakers. In all the jumbled spaghetti code and config files in Linux there must be a way to block out this 32000 nonsense.

I'm somehow missing what a DAC (analog output device) has to do with HQPlayer inputs!?

I use ADI-2 Pro for S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs, as well as analog inputs, for such purposes. And these are preconfigured already in HQPlayer Embedded, you just need to adjust the device id's in the configuration files, since every RME device has a unique device id. Allowing you to distinguish between multiple connected ADI-2 Pro devices for example.

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

I use ADI-2 Pro for S/PDIF and AES/EBU inputs, as well as analog inputs, for such purposes.

How would Tidal Connect output to a ADI-2 through SPDIF -> HQPE when it's a Linux program??? I think we are misunderstanding eachother here ...

Am I to understand that the only option to get Tidal Connect -> Hqplayer as an upsampler (with correctly working auto sample rate) -> speakers is to buy THREE ££££ boxes? At that point I may as well ditch HQPE and get an Mscaler ...

Just now, privacyguy123 said:

How would Tidal Connect to a ADI-2 through SPDIF when it's a Linux program??? I think we are misunderstanding eachother here ...

For example, I have WiiM Pro -> S/PDIF -> ADI-2 Pro -> HQPlayer -> DAC. Automatic sample rate switching works perfectly and anything I can play with WiiM Pro goes through HQPlayer.

I also have iPad Pro -> USB-to-AES -> ADI-2 Pro -> HQPlayer -> DAC. This allows Apple Music, bit perfect with automatic rate switching to go through HQPlayer.

Just now, Miska said:

For example, I have WiiM Pro -> S/PDIF -> ADI-2 Pro -> HQPlayer -> DAC. Automatic sample rate switching works perfectly and anything I can play with WiiM Pro goes through HQPlayer.

Am I to understand that the only option to get Tidal Connect -> Hqplayer as an upsampler (with correctly working auto sample rate) -> speakers is to buy THREE ££££ boxes

Sadly that does seem to be your answer then :|

There is no other workaround for a poor mans Mscaler setup?