IGNORED

Turn Table Recommendation

HIFI

I am thinking about jumping back into vinyl and, frankly, not sure where I will go with it. Looking for a recommendation on a turn table in the $1K USD price range. I am not sure if this is enough to get back into a deck and cartridge and I am not sure if a $500-$600 Rega or Music Hall would satisfactory for me. The last T-Table I owned was a Thorens TD-125 . . . 31 years ago.

Any thoughts?

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Either a $500 or so Music Hall or Rega would be a good turntable. Both are pretty simple. The Rega would be my preference though the Music Hall is maybe prettier if you like some of the colors. The Rega is about as simple as you can get, but capable of quite good sound.

You need a good cartridge and a good phono pre-amp. Some of the $100-150 cartridges aren't bad at all. The phono pre-amp might be the hard part. To get a good phono stage and keep it under $1k you might have to go to the second hand market.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I am thinking about jumping back into vinyl and, frankly, not sure where I will go with it. Looking for a recommendation on a turn table in the $1K USD price range. I am not sure if this is enough to get back into a deck and cartridge and I am not sure if a $500-$600 Rega or Music Hall would satisfactory for me. The last T-Table I owned was a Thorens TD-125 . . . 31 years ago.

Any thoughts?

For somewhat over $1K there's the (German) Clearaudio Concept.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm probably just repeating the advise you've been given here... but I agree either Rega or ProJect make good packages in your price range.

Don't forget you'll also need a phono pre-amp - something like Musical Fidelity | V-LPSII Phono Stage or Rega Fono Mini - the Musical Fidelity offers more flexibility if you want to upgrade to a MC cartridge later. If you can stretch your budget slightly, a Rega RP3 ($1,100) with Elys cartridge and add the Musical Fidelity V-LPS MkII ($190) would be a great combination. If you want to stick within the budget I would look at Rega RP1 ($445) or ProJect Debut III ($430) with the same Musical Fidelity V-LPS.

If looking at second hand, remember that you may need to budget for a replacement stylus/cartridge.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Technics SL1200 because you don't want Rega speed issues and because the rest is either not worth mentioning, or too expensive. After you've upgraded the Technics with almost everything there is to upgrade, including a Trans-Fi Terminator tonearm and an AT33PTG cart, that's when you'll be so addicted to the sound of vinyl that, next, you'll want a VPI Scout.

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
Technics SL1200 because you don't want Rega speed issues and because the rest is either not worth mentioning, or too expensive. After you've upgraded the Technics with almost everything there is to upgrade, including a Trans-Fi Terminator tonearm and an AT33PTG cart, that's when you'll be so addicted to the sound of vinyl that, next, you'll want a VPI Scout.

Interesting suggestion... but the S tone arm is a piece of ***t and you can't fit a decent cartridge to it. So you need to get that replaced. Then there is the cost - for a good second hand example of the SL1200 you won't get much change from $800 from my quick research. And you still need a phono stage.

Anyway it's a suggestion but not really a $500-1000 suggestion...

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I am thinking about jumping back into vinyl . . . . Any thoughts?

Buy something great second hand rather than buying something decent new.

Let some one else pay the majority of the bill.

I got a great setup years back, at something equivalent to USD 1000 in todays prices.

I only set it aside because I just fell in love with the awesome sound quality digital can deliver

I never upgraded it, but I may buy a new belt ;-)

Thorens TD 321

Mørch UP-4 arm

Ortofon MC-2000 pickup (+ Ortofon MC-20 backup)

Ortofon T-2000 Step-up

All for a 1000 quid!

You can get lucky as well, if you work a little for it.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

If you are handy I picked up a Rek-O-kut N33H for $90. Sold the tone arm and plinth on Ebay for $120. Spent about $130 on materials for the new plinth. That leaves about $900 in your budget for tone arm and cartridge. I got lucky with a Grace 714 tone arm for $360 and am still auditioning cartridges from a friends collection. I would put it up against anything in the price range without hesitation. I know this route isn't for everyone but if you enjoy projects you can get a big bang for your money and the added enjoyment on telling your friends you built it. Tons of great info on Turntable Forum • Index page for DIY as well as very knowledgeable folks that can point you to the best TT in your budget new or used.

I'd have Needle Doctor install a Nagaoka MP-150 on a Sota Moonbeam II turntable. For $50 more and a more than incremental difference for the better would be a Nagaoka MP-200.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

OK . . . thanks and lots of good advice.

I shopped audiogon and ebay for used. I have looked local and the only T-Table I found local, that I would buy, someone was able to pay faster than me. I have been looking for a couple months. I did up my price range and I paid for a new Music Hall that will be here next week. I must say I am happy to quit looking. I also have a close friend that guided me to a MMF-9.1. I know this is a GREAT first deck to get back into vinyl.

Now I need to buy a phono preamp, some good interconnects and a record . . . I need to get a record . . . that is important.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

Now I need to buy a phono preamp, some good interconnects and a record . . . I need to get a record . . . that is important.

Not sure how it is in USA; but a trip to a charity shop in the UK often pays dividends...

Of course then you'll need a record cleaner too...

Eloise

Eloise

---

Get the Technics and be done with it. It's build quality and sheer heft will make the others (in that price range) look cheap and flimsy. There are all kinds of arguments over DD vs belt drive, but in the end if you don't have consistently dead-on speed then why bother... And the DD will always win, period.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS