IGNORED

Newer Technology Mini Stack 2012

Does anyone have any experience with the new version of the Mini Stack that just came out? I am curious how loud it is? If so what size did you get and what speed is the HDD?

Thanks

RL

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

• 2 months later...
Just got my ministack drive. It's not as quiet as I was hoping for but not bad.

is the source of the noise the included drive or the enclosure? the fan is cited as the same design as found in the mini, which some have reported as being loud. i couldn't find the type of HDD they include, but at 7200 RPM's, it's likely not winning any quiet contests. if the drive is noisy, one option would be to buy the 'bare kit' which looks to be just the enclosure, and add your own quiet drive, like a WD Green or Red.

alternatively, their mini stack classic appears to be fanless, so with a suitably quiet HDD, should be very quiet. please note that the footprint, however, is a match for the older minis.

i am considering picking up a late 2009 mini and using the bare mini stack classic with a 3TB WD Red drive for storage.

• 4 weeks later...

I have (had) 4TB version of it, and the source of noise is the fan not the drive itself. I have tested that by sticking a plastic pin into the fan exhaust thus stopping the fan from rotating just when the drive is connected to mac mini. If you do that the drive is really quiet, however, I do not recommend that procedure to anyone. As for the physical size, the drive is exactly the size of new mac minis 7.7" x 7.7" even the same height so stacked up they look great.

However, the drive was not quiet enough for me to switch from my old Iomega minimax that is virtually silent.

DS411+II <-> Mac Mini -> El cheapo 1 ft USB Cable -> QB9 -> Tyr XLR -> YBA Passion Integre 300 -> Auditorium 23 -> Vaughn Cabernets

• 4 months later...
I have (had) 4TB version of it, and the source of noise is the fan not the drive itself. I have tested that by sticking a plastic pin into the fan exhaust thus stopping the fan from rotating just when the drive is connected to mac mini. If you do that the drive is really quiet, however, I do not recommend that procedure to anyone. As for the physical size, the drive is exactly the size of new mac minis 7.7" x 7.7" even the same height so stacked up they look great.

However, the drive was not quiet enough for me to switch from my old Iomega minimax that is virtually silent.

Thought I'd bump this post as I am interested in the MiniStack MAX which has a SuperDrive slot and can be configured with 4T HD. Anyone use this as both ripper and iTunes library?

Newer Technology® : Storage : miniStack® MAX™

David