IGNORED

New Airport Express

FYI, just noticed the Airport Express seems to have changed its looks, while functionality apparently remains identical.

Would be interesting to understand if they've changed just the box or anything on the inside as well. Does anybody have any insight here?

AirPort Express Base Station - Apple Store (U.S.)

Unlike the outgoing model, it's able to simultaneously broadcast at 2.4 and 5GHz.

It also has 2 Ethernet ports, LAN & WAN.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

On a side note, I just "discovered" a new use for my older express which had been unemployed since I got my new DAC: I use it as a headphone amp/wireless streamer. I noticed that the power from the line out is enough to drive my Sennheiser HD595, and while the internal DAC is not true Hifi, the sound is actually not as horrible as you'd expect for a $99 piece of hardware.

I double it will send audio via USB.

I wonder if the Digital out is bit perfect.

The older version is on Redbook CD. Given the Airport uses AirTunes services which aren't technically synonymous with AirPlay, I suspect the 16/44 bitstream would remain unchanged..........at least I hope!

Apple 'should' allow 24/96 services though if they wish to appear in favor of high res content and actually catering to their clients.

I don't have a need for another AEX in my 7 zone system but I'm holding out for a third party AirPlay streamer truly directed at the hi fidelity user. With a high quality DAC on board, such a device would be a very welcome newcomer that solves a lot of problems if executed properly.

i just received my new-generation Airport Express. i hadn't even thought to wait and see if it proved to be bit-perfect... hm. guess i might just have to find out myself! if anyone has any tests they would like me to run, let me know.

cheers,

dorkus

Bit rate output would be nice?...........and if you can measure jitter, noise floor, harmonic distortion, etc.......I wouldn't complain. Lol

With Apple seemingly entering the hi-res genepoole, a 24/96 Airport Express might just mean end game for some.......me included.

Bit rate output would be nice?...........and if you can measure jitter, noise floor, harmonic distortion, etc.......I wouldn't complain. Lol

With Apple seemingly entering the hi-res genepoole, a 24/96 Airport Express might just mean end game for some.......me included.

lol sure, lemme just pull my AP 2700 analyzer out of the closet. :D

i don't have a DAC that displays sample rate at the moment (i moonlight as a reviewer, so most of my gear comes and goes as eval samples), lemme get my hands on one and at least verify that it doesn't sample rate convert like Apple TV.

USB audio out definitely still not supported, fyi - manual specifically states USB speakers won't work. doubtful it'll have anything above 16/48...

Use Mac's optical input then. It's OK to proceed, I'll explain later how exactly to use it. Have you got glass cable with AE?

ah yes - i didn't even realize my late-2006 white iMac has optical in (at least the spec sheet says it does). i'll use that, thanks.

i have plenty of toslink, yes... i only have one miniplug adapter though, so maybe time for me to get a toslink to mini cable anyway. i should be able to get one from amazon by tomorrow, any recommendations?

Mine was shipped from China too and arrived yesterday. Total no-brainer to add to my existing AirPort network. I spent the last hour listening and tinkering.

1. Bitperfect output for 44.1 confirmed using HDCD ripped tracks. The HDCD light on my Marantz SR-6003 receiver comes on when I play HDCD tracks.

2. I think it is max 44.1. When I play 88.2 or 96k tracks my receiver does not say 88.2 or 96k. It just reads "STEREO" so hi-res is downsampled.

2. USB port works only for a printer.

3. Ethernet ports are 10/100, not gigabit.

4. Same size and shape as Apple TV, just white.

After non-critical listening, it basically sounds the same as the old AE n to me.