IGNORED

Smile Sessions at HDTracks

Wait to hear how it sounds

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That's what I'm doing. I've got the CD already. Hoping here this is a big step up but will wait for a graph to be posted. On a side note I've read that McCartney's Ram is stellar.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Ram- the hi-rez-where did you read it?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Paul McCartney's website offers several editions. Amazon offers at least one edition. HDtracks.com offers 96/24 edition. There are more, but you can Google Ram.

Best,

Richard

First, apologies to OP in responding to firedog's inquiry as this thread is about the Smile release. I have the hard copy and love the album. Enjoy all the music, Richard

Brian Wilson smile.jpg

For firedog's and everyone else, this should bring a Smile as well. It's the Deluxe Edition of Ram:

Paul McCartney Deluxe Ram all.jpg

I actually head it from a buddy who has a mega vinyl rig. He said that the download is better than any vinyl out there. Still haven't seen graph on it though.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Here's the DR numbers from the DR data base. Nothing to get nuts about.

DR Database

OK. I'm downloading this right now. Report back soon.

Got this album this weekend...

Here's an interesting couple of graphs from "Good Vibrations"

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

There's clearly information past 22kHz. It's interesting to me because I can see a segment that was spliced into the song near the end that was recorded with different equipment (presumably). I think I recall reading that this album was mastered over a few different locations, and this splice may be a result of that, or simply changing some recording equipment along the way.

---Michael

Server ---> Rpi ---> Audiophilleo2 ---> Metrum Octave ---> Audio Horizons Pre ---> Pass Labs XA30.5 ---> Sonus Faber Liuto Towers

Computer ---> Audio Hardware ---> Air ---> Ears ---> Brain

I've been jumping all around comparing this w/the CD. The huge difference is in any stereo tracks(demos etc) that are just beautiful. Heresy but I'd like to hear this whole thing in stereo! The regular mono tracks seem more detailed but I'll have to listen more to find out if I'm full of it.

I wonder how long it will be until we get a full stereo version of this? Pet Sounds finally came out with the box set then later the MFSL SACD version which is sure bliss. Here's hoping!

I wonder how long it will be until we get a full stereo version of this? Pet Sounds finally came out with the box set then later the MFSL SACD version which is sure bliss. Here's hoping!

Can't wait, but I am not going to buy it in 3 different versions again.

Did you find the 24 bit album proper, if you will, to offer much improvement over the 16 bit? I thought it sounded a little less flat with a bit better tonality. I certainly wasn't blown away. Reminded me a bit of the Beatles 24 bit vs. 16 bit comparison I did.

For some reason the vinyl sounded best. Not my usual preference. Maybe a little extra EQ, or perhaps some extra coloration adding to my perception.

Full stereo? Were any of the Beach Boys' albums recorded in stereo? (Brian Wilson is deaf in one ear, and Pet Sounds was recorded in mono.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Full stereo? Were any of the Beach Boys' albums recorded in stereo? (Brian Wilson is deaf in one ear, and Pet Sounds was recorded in mono.)

A few dedicated stereo mixes apparently were done early on. A stereo Smile would entail a remix along the lines of Petsounds. The SACD of the latter is pretty nice. Wouldn't it be nice if Smile could get the same MFSL treatment.

Maybe they could give Steven Wilson or the guy from the High Llamas a shot at a modern multi channel remix.

MONOSTEREO

Kimo,

Yeah I found the 24 bit to be better but definitely not "blown away". Better than the CD version and I got it at the same price with the discount over the weekend. The stereo bonus tracks are really the big difference. They just shine.

The MFSL SACD Pet Sounds is just killer. This would be great w/that treatment.