IGNORED

Headphone Amp for AKG701

The only balanced amps that come to mind are the Ray Samuels models. Try poking around head-fi.org. It's a great resource.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Any recommendations for a suitable amp for these headphones? Would prefer one with balanced inputs. Thanks

Pity about the balanced input requirement because the Heed Canamp matches the 701s a treat. Well worth an audition if you can, very popular combo.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Pity about the balanced input requirement because the Heed Canamp matches the 701s a treat. Well worth an audition if you can, very popular combo.

Only reason for balanced inputs is that by DAC has its unbalanced outputs already used by a power amp leaving its balanced outputs free. An alternative would be to use an A/B switch to the unbalanced outputs of the DAC to switch between the headphone amp and the power amp. Would this degrade the SQ?

Guys

To obtain the added benefits of using balanced outputs with headphones such as the K701, you need to recable the headphones to 4 wires instead of the usual L and R plus a common earth return.This means using a 4 wire cable for the headphones., Ideally, the AKG K701 should also be driven from a 120ohm source impedance as it complies with IEC61938. This will result in the best balanced sound. However, to do that well, you also need a headphone amplifier with higher than average voltage drive capabilities. This would normally mean headphone amplifier with relatively high voltage supply rails. e.g. > + and -12 Volts or a single 24V supply.

I can't advise you on which commercial headphone amplifier is best suited to these requirements as I am a DIY person.

There is a good article, complete with diagrams of balanced operation at the attached link

Regards

Alex

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/balancedheadphones/one.html

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I've had the 701's. You definitely do not need a balanced amp. Even with a super high-end rig. I used to power mine with a SS HeadRoom amp that was quite good. Tubes can add that smooth sound but you really don't need those either. First determine how much you want to spend and go from there. These days there are many choices. Also go over to http://www.head-fi.org/ and go nuts trying to figure it all out! Quite a group of enthusiasts!

Also TheCableCo has loaners you can check out if they have something you like.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I don't have the AKG701 but another recommendation for the HeadRoom Desktop, and if that amp is too big (Dimensions: 6 ¼” x 6 ¼” x 3 1/3”) give the Headroom Micro Amp (Dimensions: 3.5" x 4.5" x 1.5") a try.

The Truth Is Out There

One simple solution would be to use a balanced to single ended cable to connect your devices. I am doing exactly that in my headphone rig - DacMagic Plus balanced out to single ended in on my headphone amp.

I have the K702 headphones and drive then with a Burson HA160 amp with excellent results.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the AKG phones, but I've had great results using a Woo Audio WA5-LE on Senheiser HD800's and Audeze LCD-3's. I've also heard some of Woo's less costly amps that also sound excellent.

I think The Cable Company MAY (stress may) be doing some loaner headphone amps.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

The new ALO Rx Mk3 (portable) amp also has balanced inputs (and outputs). As a K-701 owner, you might also be interested in the bass control on this amp.

I'm not positive, though, if you can take the balanced input to the singled ended output. Are you going to re-cable your K-701's?

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.