IGNORED

how to convert my AIFF files to FLAC

as i am selling my mac mini and getting a windows based system..

all my music is on an external hard drive..and towards the end fo the week i am selling the mini and getting my new htpc server hopefully..

whats the best way to copy and transfer files to flac?

i will be using jriver

with itunes on windows most likely...

please help urgent help needed

Msb platinum dac iv Mini transport 120gb vertex3 ssd and 8gb of corsair ram... Krell fbi amp.... Martin logn ethos speakers.... Transparent cable ultra cabling throughout....

it can also convert aiff to many other formats, including flac.

itunes will NOT play flac.

Server HW: Custom PC: i5 2500K // linear psu's for drives - SoTM card - fans //silver SATA cables (DIY Audio: ppastudio)

Server SW: Win8 / Jriver / JPLAY

DAC: AudioQuest Diamond usb cable feeding ARC Dac 8

Amplification: DIY 6N Silver interconnects, DIY Tube Pre & Tube Amp

Speakers: Anti-cables // A100 from www.hornmanufaktur.at

Itunes won't help much, it doesn't support FLAC directly (hence your question, of course)

You could try Max, it is free and available from here, but you'll need to keep hold of your mac until the conversions are done:

http://sbooth.org/Max/

I am sure there are also Windows options to convert ALAC to FLAC but I'm afraid I'm not a Windows person.

I'd be a bit more concerned about the format of your external drive though. If it's directly connected to your mac (and not, for example, on a hub or a NAS setup) then it's likely to be Mac formatted and you will need to install additional software on your PeeCee just in order to read from it.

Edit: What file format is your music in? I just realised you didn't specify.

what file is my music in? isnt aiff the format?

currently all music is in an external hdd aiff format..

moving to pc and was wondering how to convert the files and the data ?

Msb platinum dac iv Mini transport 120gb vertex3 ssd and 8gb of corsair ram... Krell fbi amp.... Martin logn ethos speakers.... Transparent cable ultra cabling throughout....

what file is my music in? isnt aiff the format?

If they are aiff files then you do not need to convert them for use on a Windows computer.

currently all music is in an external hdd aiff format..

Good, then there is no need to convert the files. However the hdd format is also important. Select the hdd in the Finder on your mac, and choose "Get Info" from the File menu. If it tells you the hdd is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", which it probably does, then you will not be able to read the hdd when connected to your new Windows system without installing extra software or copying the files to a new hdd that has been formatted for use on a Windows PC. I'm not sure I can best advise you on how to do this, as there are various methods depending on how your network is set up, whether you already have the Windows computer etc. Can you give any more information on this?

moving to pc and was wondering how to convert the files and the data ?

If by "data" you mean the artwork and other information that appears in iTunes, then most of this will already be embedded in your music files, so I think this should be okay. Sorry, but I'm not sure that you can transfer things like playlists from iTunes on a Mac to J River on a Windows PC.

• 1 year later...

You can convert AIFF to FLAC on a PC with Foobar2000. But you can also play AIFF on a PC with Foobar, JRiver etc - so I'm not sure there's a reason to expend the effort converting (no matter what format your files are currently in - it's hard to tell from some of the posts in this thread whether you're using AIFF, ALAC or something else).

All your music files don't have to be the same format - you can mix them up on playlists without a problem. So unless you're really compulsive and can't stand the thought of multiple formats on the same drive, don't give it another thought. Your only consideration is the format you'll use for new rips once your PC is up and running, and most of us seem to prefer FLAC for that.

• 8 months later...

As other's have said, JRMC plays AIFF files just dandy.

But if you really want to convert them, on a PC, you can use dbPowerAmp to do the conversion. Or you can use your MacMini and XLD to convert them before you sell them.

Be sure to write them to a NTFS formatted disk, else wise Windows won't be able to read them. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

As other's have said, JRMC plays AIFF files just dandy.

But if you really want to convert them, on a PC, you can use dbPowerAmp to do the conversion. Or you can use your MacMini and XLD to convert them before you sell them.

JMRC is an excellent media player in my experience. A reason for converting is to reduce storage requirements and to benefit from checksums, which built into the FLAC format.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I'll chime in with a vote for dBpoweramp as well. What others haven't mentioned is that the program will do a batch conversion, while still maintaining the original file/folder structure. I've converted thousands of FLAC files to a reduced format that could be used with a portable music player, such as an iPod Classic. It worked flawlessly.