IGNORED

Tea For The Tillerman

"You are one of a few people who have downloaded an unfinished version of the album which was up for testing before release.

Why don't they just admit they screwed up and apologize instead of making up some BS excuse. Stuff like this is what makes people think HDtracks is unworthy of sending them their money.

The Analogue Productions LP just received an unflattering review from Harry Pearson

What didn't he like about it?

I read the review at the news stand and don't have it in front of me. I don't want to go from memory, because I don't want to risk spreading negative misinformation.

He compared the new pressing with an original Island pressing and felt that the new release suffered in comparison.

I've seen this white noise phenomenon happen on my computer when my hard drive controller was dying. I was making a recording and there were several sections that simply had white noise at 0dBFS - so yes, really shocking when you were listening and not expecting it. But there was no other indication that the drive was dying except when I checked the system log and saw lots of controller errors. The next day the drive was dead. So it would not surprise me if the machine used to create those downloadable files was suffering some sort of a progressive hard drive failure.

there is no benefit of playing the 192/24 on a DAC that only does 96/24 as it will downsample it. The only reason to buy the 192/24 is if you plan to get a DAC in the future that plays 192k.

I also can only play a maximum of 96kHz and what I have done is convert my 176.4k music files to 88.2k and 192k to 96k using XLD as I feel that is superior to downsampling them on the fly. I keep the original 176.4k and 192k music files "as is" on backup DVD-Rs for the future when I can play them in their native resolution without downsampling. In addition by playing the files at 88.2k and 96k I also save hard-drive space.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I got the 192..........was going to get the 96 then Audiophile Brain took over clicking on 192!

Really, really great. I've A/B'd it with the vinyl APP 9135 which to my ears is really great. This one is just so clean like you're listening to the tape in the control room. Awesome!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Rumbaud, I'd be interested in your analysis, I thought K2 mastering discs are just 16 / 44.1 and the 24/100 thing was marketing speak in which case what do you expect to see compared to the true hi res?

Lyra Delos, Thorens TD 295 Mk 4, Parasound JC3, Burl B2 Bomber ADC, Mac Pro, Lynx 16aes, Pure Vinyl Software, Burmester Audio System

Thanks Rimbaud, I find that whole K2 thing very suspicious so I'll be interested in how it compares. I'm all for improved mastering techniques and I certainly am in favor of emphasis on audiophile mastering approaches but I would contend that most mastering shops are working in hi res, in fact even amateurs process in 32 bit these days and up to 192kHz sample rates are not uncommon now so to imply that a red book CD is 25/100 just seems misleading to me. It's like calling a well prepared shrimp dinner lobster because it's been prepared so well -- it's still shrimp!

Lyra Delos, Thorens TD 295 Mk 4, Parasound JC3, Burl B2 Bomber ADC, Mac Pro, Lynx 16aes, Pure Vinyl Software, Burmester Audio System

with 24/100k mastering is the awkward conversion to any know consumer sampling rate.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa, it's red book right? So there is no conversion, it's just a CD. The 24/100 thing is just some marketing thing from what I can tell, MoFi could probably market their CDs as 32 / 192 "mastering" CDs if they wanted to. So no conversion is necessary -- I think they should call a spade a spade.

Since this is an analog recording it can be remastered at any PCM rate without problems but 100K is an awkward conversion to 44.1K for CD release, 88.2K or 176.4K for mastering would have been a better choice for CD release IMHO.

Since at least one professional 24/100K recorder exists my concern is new original recordings made it this incompatible resolution. An original 24/100K recording would have to be released as perhaps 24/96K for the consumer which is a very awkward conversion as no consumer products exist that play 24/100K. This is also problem with the 50K Soundstream recordings of the late 1970's.

I still love music.

Teresa

Thanks -- I see your point -- what still confuses me is the marketing of these things visavi regular commerial CDs?

My Logic audio system masters at 24 bit / 192kHz and internally uses 32 bit processing -- it's nothing special and is quite typical for professional and home studios. I can record analog at 24/192 and then to create a CD as a final step I have to dither. So I just don't understand the description they have on this process when all commercial and amateur CDs are mastered using hi res and then dithered to CD as a final step. I recognize that some dithering algorithms are better than others but they don't explain this thing as an improved dithering algorithm.

I have no axe to grind on this I'm just honestly confused, I suspect snake oil and everything I read confirms that, but audiophile sites and stores continue to quote this 24/100 thing so I've not ruled out that I could be wrong and this technology exceeds what is commonly used today for hi res mastering prior to conversion to red book.

Does anyone have any insight on how it's different than a standard pro tools or logic mastering process?