7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

Where's Les Paul and Chet Atkins?

I'll grab my coat now!

Dave

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

They used a pretty narrow criteria. All blues based rock players here. Clearly they are only talking about rock/blues players and not jazz. But any top ten for rock players needs to include more experimental players like Robert Fripp and Steve Howe.

Maybe the list should be re-titled: Top Ten Blues/Rock Guitar Players! Of course, then, where is Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Keith Richards??? Pete Townshend???

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

better than half the guitarists on their list. Oh well, I bow before the authority that is Rolling Stone mag. Keith Richards? GMAFB!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

It is a frustrating list. Was this list limited to Rock/Blues/Pop, or what?

In general, I would need to see Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Segovia, Almeida, and a host of Jazz guitarists.

I recently watched the 'Crossroads Festival', and it opened my eyes (and ears) to so many phenomenal guitarists.

Dave

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

Rock n Roll would not be the same without him.

And I'd love the see John McLaughlin on the list but hey: Rolling Stone is a rock magazine. Duh.

And it's a top-ten list, not a top 50.

And, um, really. Why care?

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Johnny Marr was the very first name that came to mind when I saw the forum title "Top 10 Guitarists" (assuming Rolling Stone had limited the list to rock-n-roll and R&B), but it was also the name I figured would be missing from the list. And sure enough...

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

X2 for Chet Atkins, Bob Fripp. If you play you know.

John McLaughlin.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

It would seem to me that, considering it's 2011 and the guitarists listed here are who they are (popularity wise, in the grand scheme of things), this list has no intension of ever representing modern music or modern players, and will simply remain stagnant like the classic rock station playing loops of the same tracks from the same albums day after day. Boring and predictable, but almost to be expected.

Apple Mac Pro / SSD / FLAC / Logitech Media Server >> Wi-Fi >> Logitech Squeezebox Touch (w/EDO) >> TOSLINK >> Chord Qute EX >> RG6 >> Goldpoint SA-1 >> RG6 >> James Burgess "Baby Ongaku" (EML 2A3M) >> 12 AWG zip cord >> Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 XRS

Jerry Garcia and Harvey Mandel.

And possibly Buckethead.

Mac G5 PowerPC > iTunes[br]MIND:[br][Pure Music] > APOGEE Duet > AKG K702[br]BODY:[br]--- cheap USB --- XITEL Hi-Fi Link (with Russ Andrews PowerPak mod) --- stock toslink --- SONY MDS-JE510 MiniDisc (used as DAC) --- RADIO SHACK --- SONNETEER Alabaster ----- bell wire ----- ELTAX Millennium Minis[br]SOUL:[br]www.radiolab.com

was one of the best. Where I grew up, in Brooklyn, you were only allowed to like/love either the Allman Brothers OR The Grateful Dead, but NOT both.

If you liked/loved both, you were condemned and never to be heard from again.

Duane was MUCH better live than Jerry could ever hope to be.

May they both RIP.

Well, I have a huge appreciation for Johnny Mac! But clearly this list does not consider Jazz or Classical musicians. Or perhaps even those rock players who have jazz/classical influences (Fripp/Howe).

Here is an underated player, who unfortunately did not live nearly long enough to reallye stablish his potential greatness:

Tommy Bolin.

I have to agree with Jimmy Page though, and Jimmy Hendrix...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Pierre Bensusan

Alex DeGrassi

Monte Montgomery

Alex Lifeson

Michael Hedges

John Fahey

Erick Turnbull

Justin King

Leo Kottke

Billy McLaughlin

any , younger, virtuoso, influential players... It seems thata musicianship is not valued all that much in contemporary (rock) music.

One guy that came to mind is:

David Navarro.

SONORE computer audio

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

The voters were mostly 70s-90s rock guitarists.

Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

____

Chet Atkins = 21

Les Paul = 18

SRV = 12

____

I got bored after looking through the top 30.

At Home: 10x12 listening room -> Asus G74Sx laptop -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Cinnamon USB -> Bel Canto C5i integrated amplifier -> Audioquest Rocket 33 bi-wired speaker cables -> B&W CM9 speakers & B&W ASW10CM subwoofer. At Work: Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -> Windows 10 -> Foobar 2000 (WASAPI output) -> Audioquest Forest USB -> Rotel RA-1570 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables -> Magnepan Mini System.

Catch him live if you can. His albums are excellent, but they don't sound anything like his live gigs - really, not even similar - which are a thing to behold.

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Yes, for sure @Barrows, he came to mind for me as well.

Actually I think there are many more excellent, young guitarists nowadays than 60's/70's and some no doubt have their influence. But virtuoso? No one else comes to mind immediately.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2