IGNORED

How to rip DVD-A discs?

lapaix

I have a handful of DVD-A discs, and I cannot figure out how to burn them so I can play them back through iTunes or Songbird on my Macbook Pro. I have Mac-the-Ripper, and that will copy the files, but they look like Unix executable files to me, and I can't play them. Max doesn't seem to work either, so I am stuck. There has to be a way to do this. How can I convert these discs (they are quite legally mine), to music files on my hard drive?

Chris, anyone,

I downloaded DVDAExplorer (for Mac) last night, but can't seem to 'open' any audio files on the disks I've tried. This is my first ever attempt to do so. I'm sure I'm missing some basic info due to lack of awareness.

first off, can any/all DVDs with audio tracks be ripped (or demuxed, whatever the term is), or is there a special fomat for DVD-Audio?

E.g., DVDAExplorer can't find anything in the AUDIO_TS folder on the Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions Revisited DVD. I believe I read that the DVD on this has 24-bit/96kHz audio encoded.

Ditto, I can't find anything in the AUDIO_TS folder for the Neil Young Massey Hall DVD.

Help!?!?

Clay

well there you go, DVD-A is a different sort of 'thingy'.

that's the obvious concept I wasn't aware of.

so when someone recommends Cinematize Pro, they're suggesting it's use to de-mux(?) the audio from video in a non DVD-A DVD? and DVDAExplorer is for ripping DVD-A, which is audio only?

thanks much

clay

• 9 years later...

I ripped a bunch of DVDs with TuneFab DVD Ripper. Without the menus and extras, most of the videos were about 3 or 4 GB, depending on the length of the movie.
I then put them all on an external hard drive and plugged it into the USB port on a WD TV Live streaming media player configured to loop the movies. It turned out well. I have a nice high-quality movie channel that takes about 5 days before a movie repeats.

On ‎13‎-‎12‎-‎2008 at 8:35 PM, cfmsp said:

well there you go, DVD-A is a different sort of 'thingy'.

that's the obvious concept I wasn't aware of.

so when someone recommends Cinematize Pro, they're suggesting it's use to de-mux(?) the audio from video in a non DVD-A DVD? and DVDAExplorer is for ripping DVD-A, which is audio only?

thanks much

clay

DVDAE can also extract audio from dvd-v. No problem. When the audio_ts is empty, it will look in the video_ts.