IGNORED

Do Hi-Res downloads sound better than SACD?

I realize I am pushing this subject to death, but I have gone through my other thread numerous times and while the subject of buying a SACD player was addressed, the quality of sound, or is it even worth it was really not. My last question to those of you who have both is this: Which sounds better? The ease of downloading a hi-res file cannot be beat, but does it sound better or just as good as the SACD release?

The reason is simple, SACD has more channel. Although there's a big question around the topic of if anyone can actually hear the difference between standard CD and high res, there's no question that the additional channels in SACD makes a big difference.

compare 2 channel to 2 channel. Many SACD's and DVD-Audio discs have multichannel layers, yes, but the download vs SACD question is not about stereo vs multichannel. If it is, I apologize (and would quickly bow out of such a loaded question).

Mcattuci, if the source is analog or DSD, I would think the SACD (all other things being equal, which is very very tough) will preserve the recording better. If the original source is PCM, then the download ought to be the winner.. Again though, good luck comparing on the same DAC back end, etc. There are very few. :)

Paul,

Not really afraid just unsure where to go next. I have finally made it to a position where I can upgrade my system to something approaching audiophile standards and now that I'm hearing this great music I want more. While my PC rig is here to stay and will grow, my dilemma is do I expand to vinyl, SACD or stick with HDTracks. The hi rez tracks I've downloaded so far have sounded great. I want more of that sound but my selection on downloads is limited. SACD seems like a good choice.

There's so much to learn about this hobby.

Here is a cool fact, the better your equipment gets, the better standard 16/44.1 CDs are going to sound. At some point, you cross a line and CD start to sound very good indeed. (HiRes tracks can sound better, but the detail you can pull from a standard CD is nothing short of amazing.)

So consider procrastinating a bit, and tuning your system till your jaw drops at CD sound. By that time, there will be a lot more hires available, and the choice may be much simpler.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Personally, I don't like the way Mapleshade recordings sound (at least not the 10 or so I have, and had). It may be the methods they use to record, as opposed to the frequency response or whatever specs or resolution of their cds. Whatever it is, I've never listened all the way through any of the cds, because they aggravate me long before I finish them. (I've not had this occur with any other label, although of course there've been particular cds that I've not finished for various reasons.)

-Chris

I think that the sound quality of SACD vs. high res downloads depends more on the quality of your SACD player, your DAC, and the particular recording, rather than the inherent quality of the medium. I think that the decision as to whether to buy an SACD player depends on the type of music that you like. If you're a classical fan, there still seem to be more classical titles being released on SACD than as high res downloads. If you like classic jazz, and don't mind paying $30 per title, the SACDs from Analogue Productions are wonderful. But if your musical interests run more to rock and pop, then you probably won't find much on SACD to interest you. There are some older releases of classic rock that are still available, but those are getting scarce. Mobile Fidelity has been reissuing a few rock and pop titles on SACD, but it seems like there are more titles being released as high res downloads.

Another factor in your decision could be the type of playing experience you prefer. If you like easy access to your whole digital music collection, then high res downloads are best. If you prefer the experience of putting a physical piece of media into a player, then SACDs are better. (But not as good in that respect as LPs.)

Homebrew Windows PC, cMP, cPlay, ESI Juli@, Bel Canto DAC-1, Audio Research SP-16, Sonic Frontiers Power 1, Usher Be-718

Thanks for the reply tlathrop. Everything you said makes a lot of sense. I ended up givign in and purchasing a used SACD player for just over 100.00 on Audiogon. It has great reviews and was a 1,000 player when it was released so the DAC/sound should be on par with the Nova's. I figured for 100.00 I am ion the gaem and can make up my own mind. If the player breaks in 3 months or I find that SACD's are way over blown then I am not out that much money.

I just purchased a MF V-Link and must say the bass has improved noticeably. I wasn't sure I would notice any difference but so far so good. I think I will try the Cinnamon USB cable as my next upgade and then just relax and enjoy the musci for a while. It's a tough job chaing great sound ;-)