IGNORED

HDtracks Tigerlilly

Hdtracks has just listed Natalie Merchant's Tigerlilly as a 24/96 download.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD603497940868

Looking at the info they've posted, it appears that this is sourced from the previously released DVD Audio release.

It is my understanding that release was multichannel only--there was no high resolution stereo track on the disc. If so, I'm concerned that this release is a "fold down" from the multi-channel (which never sound good to my ears).

Your thoughts?

but I do own the DVD-Audio disc, and it is truly a multichannel only release...however, in those situations the spec says a SMART (system managed audio resource technique) table needs to be in the toc and available to instruct coefficients per channel to enable a mixer-approved stereo downmix. The one I ripped from Tigerlily is very very good IMO, but then again I've never heard a dedicated one.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Tigerlily. While there are definitely more dynamics than the original CD, I think the mix is screwed up. Some songs seem to have content that doesn't exist in the CD, almost like they smashed the surround channels into the left and right front. Very noticeable on Seven Years, toward the end of the track. Not enjoyable. . .

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Tigerlily is definitely screwed up in my opinion.

Even worse, HTD's 48/24 version of Sailing To Philadelphia literally sucks. I was fortunate enough to get a pre-release version of this disc years ago, direct from England in HDCD am not sure how it differs from what was then released to the public, but my copy ripped via dbPoweramp, blows away the garbage from HDT.

I am finding (unfortunately, through flushing some hard earned $$ down the toilet) that many of my redbook CDs ripped sound better than the high res crap downloads on HDT. There have been few exceptions.

How many times are "they" going to release the same music, "remastered" and we nuts buy just about every time. I have a ton of those "Gold Mobile Fidelity" from years ago, such as John Coltrane, etc, that I see are going for exorbitant prices. Many of them sucked as well. I might as well sell them.

On the other hand, with all these "high res" releases, I am starting to realize just how well some of the "OLD" discs were made.

I, too, agree that these releases are not necessarily superior to the CDs of yore. Point in fact, I downloaded Diana Krall's When I Look In Your Eyes from HDtracks at 24/96 yesterday. Played it this morning. But first started playing my conversion (XLD) of the original CD. Sounded fabulous. Then I realized I was not playing the HDT download which I convert to AIFF using Max. Played the download and could easily tell the difference. My own conversion sounded much better. The download sounded thinner, less dynamic, distant, confined. I had downloaded several CDs as a present to my self. It's so hit or miss that I am preferring my own conversions over HDt. That includes Natalie Merchant which I also recently downloaded but find it inferior.

Yikes,

Richard

dedicated stereo layer, just a SMART (system managed audio technique) table to tell the player to downmix to stereo. Many are claiming the downmix is faulty and balances the channels poorly (i.e guitar may have been in surround channel and is now barely audible, etc). I listened to my DVD-A rip and commented in another forum about the spacing, etc. It is very different from any redbook mix, that's for sure. Faulty or bad decisions? Dunno.

I have a ton of those "Gold Mobile Fidelity" from years ago

Would one of those happen to be Nirvana's 'Nevermind'?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What is funny is that I also bought a ton of DVD-A in the past, strictly because of a purchase of and Acura RL that played these discs. Just before getting into computer audio, I gave the car to my daughter with all the discs (about 35) who took the car and discs to CO. After realizing my mistake, I told her to ship me al those discs. Some of them are superb. I wish I bought more of them.