IGNORED

Whole house wired network

Hi Paul

Most of the things you have mentioned are in line with what i have been told and was planning, so its good to know your suggesting too, i fell more confident for sure!

2 things:

I hear what your saying about the apple extreme, but i heard it doesnt have certain features like the Asus rtn56 black diamond. Like QOS, 4 ethernet, etc

Does this make a difference if i have a managed switch?

Equipment will be accessible in a room designated for just this and all racked but not a permanent fix into wall.

Cisco switch was the Cisco SF200-24P Switch 24 10/100 Ports, Smart Switch, with Poe.

If anyone has any other recommendations it would be appreciated?

Thanks Paul for your help

Ben

thou art a compuder, make haste and compude

hear what your saying about the apple extreme, but i heard it doesnt have certain features like the Asus rtn56 black diamond. Like QOS, 4 ethernet, etc

Since you are connecting to the Internet, QOS and such are not all that useful. (You have no control over the route packets take, and no guarantee that anything on the internet will honor QOS signaling.)

The Apple would act more as a Firewall than anything else, since you are not really interested in Wireless connections, and it may not be located in a location where wireless transmissions are possible or have very poor quality.

Does this make a difference if i have a managed switch?

Oh yes...

Cisco switch was the Cisco SF200-24P Switch 24 10/100 Ports, Smart Switch, with Poe.

I'm not familiar with that switch, but it looks like like a smarted up refresh of the old Catalyst 2900 line, which would be good. :) I could not find the manual for it on Cisco, so I am unable to give you any kind of evaluation of it. The price is nice.

I use a bit more expensive model switch here, but the SF200 data sheet says it has most of the same capabilities.

I use Cisco 3750s - like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-WS-C3750G-24TS-S-3750G-24TS-Catalyst-Gigabit/dp/B00070EJUA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e2

They are available for a fraction of the new cost on the used market- perhaps twice the cost of a new SF200.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I think the Cisco SF200-24p is actually more closely related the older high end Linksys switches. This is only a 10/100 Switch and (depending on cost difference) you may want to look at a Gigabit capable switch (such as the SG300-28p).

Paul... What do you do that needs a Cisco Catalyst 3700 switch?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My "home network" was until very recently, supporting a full zSeries/pSeries/xSeries software development world. It was a tad complex. :)

When I crossed the big 50 mark, my wife and I started to re-evaluate and decided to live more off the salary from my day job, disassemble the office and reclaim living space, and also to spend more time on music, video, and social activities.

The end result is I have some rather high end gear that I am still using. I also have a second "consumer grade" network build out that I did to see if I could live with it. Linksys, D-Link, Apple, and no-name brands.

Using the "consumer grade" gear was an eye-opener. I have a very low tolerance for dropouts, routing queue delays, and similar issues on my internal networks.

Most of the consumer grade gear I tried was unacceptable to me. It is sort of like audio, most people put up with horrible sound (networks) because they have not experienced really good sound (networks) and don't know how to put a good sound system (network) together.

The Apple gear seems to have the best performance next to the Ciscos, especially with wireless performance and bridging. I plan to keep three of the 3270s at home, and use one for the "home" network that audio rides on.

The other two might be needed to finance an amplifier upgrade. ;)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Ben,

You'd want UTP. Non-plenum versions are:

7851A (23AWG/4PR) CAT6e PE Insulation/PVC Jacket

7851NH (23AWG/4PR) CAT6e PE Insulation/Haloarrest Jacket

1872A (24AWG/4PR) CAT6 PE Insulation/PVC Jacket

7883A (24AWG/4PR) CAT6 PE Insulation/PVC Jacket

As for patch cords (from wall to component), you'd want their GigaFlex PS6+ Bonded Modular Cords. They're also available in either 23AWG or 24AWG.

I'll be the first to say that there's far to much snake oil in cables but they've got the scientific testing data that proves the superiority of this patented technology (bonded pairs).

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Hi Bill

I can get the Belden 1872A (24AWG/4PR) CAT6 PE Insulation/PVC Jacket from a local supplier not sure on cost, but reading a few things this looks like the stuff to get. So thanks for that!

In regards to the switch you're right it is only 10/100 i think there were some that did 2 x gig but thats not really worth it then.

So i am looking at the CISCO SRW2024P-EU 24-port 10/100/1000 Managed Switch. Unlike the sg300 it has POE as well. Reviews seem to be poor, but most of them say it works and does a good job, so i put it down to professionals saying get one for $3000 meaning this will be fine!!!!

I will have another look at the Apple express, but over here it is another $30 over the Asus, when in fact the Asus gets blistering wireless performance/coverage and that is all i want it for!

Thanks again everybody everything is becoming far easier.

Hope to share the rest of the plans tomorrow.

Ben

Just so you're aware: the SRW series of switches has been end of lined.

The SG300 series is the replacement. The SG300 is available both with an without PoE.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Audio Cynic: you're comparing apples and oranges. Zyxel and Juniper are high end consumer and SME devices and comparable to NetGear. Cisco (and HP) are enterprise grade devices.

Eloise

Eloise

---

hi Eloise thats why i was getting confused, it said sg300 then in brackets srw2024 etc.

but anyway that one looks good.

i had a look at zyxel and couldnt find reviews or comparible model, do you know of any?

thanks again for correction.

so thats:

belden cat6

asus rtn56/AAE?

cisco sg300 with poe

and all various bits and bobs and patch panel to match.

synology ds1511+/ds710+?

punch tool wire strippers and meter..

anything else?

ben

Since you are building a new house, I suggest you put metal conduits in the wall and run wires through them. Don't just pull wires through drilled holes in the stubs. Technology has been advancing rapidly. Whatever you put in today will be obsolete in a few years. If you need to rewire with different technology later, it will be much easier pulling through conduits.

Pulled that right off the web page, didn't you?!

In any case, you have to get up in the EX3300 series switches before they really get class competitive with Cisco. And Junos is nice, but I prefer Cisco IOS.

The Zyxel XGS stuff is well spoken of, but I have no idea of the backplane speeds and such.

By the way, what you are really paying for when you leave the consumer grade gear is the "backplane" speeds, which defines and limits how many full speed transmissions you can have going on at any one time.

For example, a 12 port gigabit switch would need at least a 24gb/s backplane to handle all twelve ports. Faster actually, since there is overhead and communications traffic too.

You also get more features, reliability, etc. None of which you may need. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I'll have to look into the 200 and 300 series switches. Might be able to have my cake and eat it too!

The PIX is an amazing little guy, near End of Life though I think. I have a little 501 that needs to be seriously updated.

It evolved into the ASA 55xx series gear, which is purely wonderful. Expensive, but wonderful. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

The zyxel that you listed i finally found here in this country, although it more expensive new at $500. It looks a good bit of kit. If you think this is good i will check it out!

Noted about the conduit, I was looking at POF but it seems expensive for the hardware here?!!

I think its only comparable to cat5e as well?

Thanks all again

Ben

Hi David

I have had samsung before i have got it to do everything i have needed which was web browser, play files from NAS and of course watch TV.

I know there are problems with software on skype but its a software issue and nor hardware based.

However looking at the pictures again yesterday i might change my mind, I just dont know anyone offering a better set for the money. Sometimes you have to buy as best as you can get, im ok with this!

Thanks.

I'll try to add more soon.

Ive been reading about building the best room for Audio, in terms of materials and shape etc.

Im planning to build the homecinema and audio zone out of cob(adobe brick) and then test that if it sounds terrible, i will add a second room inside of drywall, sound proofing and air.

Room size is undergoing thought it can be however long by however high but im limited by width to 8 meters. Plus ive got to think about A/C and noise. any ideas would be great fully received!