• 2 years later...
Jeff Hamilton Trio Live!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23130[/ATTACH]

As recommended by JoeWhip: Lovely Recordings: Hosted by Joe Whip | AudioStream

See also: Jeff Hamilton Trio – Live! | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

Just streaming this on Tidal -- very nice!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 2 months later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24939[/ATTACH]

I'm loving this album. Jazz trio: female singer, double bass, and trumpet--beautifully recorded. Unless you absolutely hate that kind of thing, you should check this out. The DSD download is available at Native DSD, with 10% off for another week or so.

This is one sweet album! Thanks for enlightening me!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25054[/ATTACH]

Simply one of the most stunning and under-rated artist of the late 20th century.

Her voice and delivery have yet to be matched by any of the other so-called "Pop-Divas".

A true treasure if you can find the time and right equipment to experience her range.

Don't say I didn't warn you....

Oh my!

• 3 weeks later...

Just tripped across this -- very nice. streaming from Tidal.

image8.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25227[/ATTACH]

Recommended for jazz piano trio fans. Via Spotify.

i gotta say -- this thread is absolutely awesome. i'm getting exposed to a lot of great music. couldn't find the above on tidal, but this one is and it's really good:

cover_wh_500.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice album -- thanks for the post! Streaming via Tidal (easiest to search on the album name -- doesn't not show up under Jackson Trio).

Wordless Verses

Jackson Trio

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26301[/ATTACH]

Here is a performance of pieces you've probably not heard, by a trio grouping of instruments equally unusual (viola, piano, oboe). The players here are clearly very talented, but the music doesn't call for virtuosic turns, rather strong ensemble playing. And that is what is on offer here. The three play as if they were one. That might make it sound like they are playing mechanically, but they are not; it's a very organic, fluid, emotionally satisfying performance, from beginning to end. I listened to this streaming at 24/96 on ClassicsOnline (formerly ClassicsOnline HD*LL until yesterday, as it happens).

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26955[/ATTACH]

via Tidal

very nice! good night time listening.

This was my night cap, a new to me artist

Special Edition of a 2012 release

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26964[/ATTACH]

via Tidal

also very nice! thanks!

The Black Crowes: Shake Your Money Maker

Enjoying myself some Southern Rock right now.

Black-Crowes.jpg

LOVE this album -- it really rocks!

All of the Nelson Riddle albums with Linda are great and sound really good. Enjoying this one ripped from CD.

51pbk2LvJ7L.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
15 hours ago, ted_b said:

Todd (Garfinkle) did a wonderful analog to DSD128 transfer of this awhile back, and the result is great!  You can find it on his website (MA Recordings).  His other DSD recordings are Korg-based and good, too.  And, of course, his redbook and 24/96 world music stuff is some of the best of the genres covered.  Sera Una Noche, etc. 

Todd has become a good friend, and is one of the nice ones in the industry.

15 hours ago, BacHolz said:

I'm in conflict on the matter of buying used digital media as the artist(s) are cut of of remuneration after the initial sale of product. My resolution is to not sell my media although I have no further use of it aside from its archival role and the manner in which it 'validates' my digital copy.

However on occasion I do buy used CDs which may seem hypocritical but I can live with that. I spend less than 5% of a generous music/movie budget in this way.

That said I found a few works of note:

Ito Ema - Bach's Goldberg Variations (Gold CD)

M024A-HR.JPG

It's a release I was unfamiliar with but has some critical acclaim...

"Japanese pianist Ito Ema's masterful performance on her own magnificent 1903 Steinway D Concert Grand Piano will surely be appreciated by the true music lover. Known as the definitive audiophile version, this recording was realized with 2 separate recording systems: one pair of handmade, titanium capsule DC powered, high output omni-directional microphones for the CD and 2 Bruel and Kjær 4006 microphones."

I don't know about "definitive" but the sound is outstanding and a worthy addition to my Goldberg collection.

I've had this CD for years and the sound is outstanding. Can't imagine it being better even in high res. Will have to explore.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, this album is awesome! Can't believe I've never heard it before. Listening to the deluxe version via Tidal.

atfillmoreeast2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Listening in the morning, not evening, but this is a wonderful listen.  Via Tidal . . .

1746_foto1_product_groot.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

wow, two in a row.  i guess i need to work more and listen less! again, thanks to roon radio.

anyway, wonderfully beautiful, simple duo.  fabulous recording.

RoonShareImage-636863645282571752.png.91662b19a7cfc68708ac741b196083cf.png

• 5 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, biosailor said:

B52AD860-40CF-4D44-AEC8-87B86833B2A0.png

very nice!  too bad, the bass clips in a few spots (especially on the first track).

On 2/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, WAM said:

A new arrival in my Bach-library. I like the cello suites, and I like mrs Kashkashian's playing, a winning team, imho.

Folder.jpg

this is spectacular -- really speaks to me!

• 2 weeks later...